Elite Dangerous - Thargoids declare WAR!

Thor

On 10/03/2022 at 19:42, SteveH said:

Well shit. You'd think if Hello Games can keep updating No Mans Sky on multiple consoles and even bring it to Switch, that Frontier could have done that with this. Had the game with the current expansions sat there patiently waiting for Odyssey. Think it's time to delete it. 

No Man's Sky is likely to be significantly more popular than Elite Dangerous ever was on any single platform so you can see why one developer can afford to keep on supporting it and bring it to new markets, while Frontier have decided it isn't financially feasible and have retreated to their PC heartland.

Maybe they should have done a last roll of the dice and made a deal with one of the platform holders or Epic/Amazon to attempt to kickstart the popularity of it, but it seems a much more niche prospect than NMS, which managed 1 Million+ new players when they did their XGP deal.

Edit - Apparently they already did attempt that with their EGS deal in 2020.

On 11/03/2022 at 16:15, TehStu said:

Yeah. I always keep it up to date, on both consoles, figuring one day I'l actually have the time to play the game whose kickstarter I backed. Alas, no. I suppose I should revisit if my current laptop will run it and free up the console space.

Events like this are why I never, ever back crowdfunding schemes. (Yes, I remember them not even releasing the Mac version they promised.)

Yeah, absolutely. I thought the Eurogamer news article that reported this had some preposterously entitled people in the comments, but the opening post in this thread is pathetic. Grow up. 

6 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Events like this are why I never, ever back crowdfunding schemes. (Yes, I remember them not even releasing the Mac version they promised.)

The Mac version ran up to v3.3 before being canned.

(Which was as much about Apple API support as anything)

On 13/03/2022 at 08:36, Alex W. said:

Yes, transfers your Commander stats name, then it liquidates all your assets and gives your new PC commander that many credits.

https://customersupport.frontier.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/4404354777234-Can-I-transfer-my-assets-or-commander-between-PC-Xbox-One-and-PS4-

so I have to grind my elite ranks + engineers all over again?

no

9 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

so I have to grind my elite ranks + engineers all over again?

no

Yeah, the lack of a full transfer when it's essentially just a few numbers does seem like something they need to revisit. There'll be some percentage of console players left with no choice but to switch to PC to carry on playing in future expansions, so it's no longer just an optional convenience for people who decide to change platform.

25 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Yeah, the lack of a full transfer when it's essentially just a few numbers does seem like something they need to revisit. There'll be some percentage of console players left with no choice but to switch to PC to carry on playing in future expansions, so it's no longer just an optional convenience for people who decide to change platform.

But apparently those people are "preposterously entitled", and should be thinking of poor David Braben. 

David Braben has been nothing but a colossal dick to the console and VR elements of the Elite Dangerous community, with Frontier doing the absolute bare minimum to keep those elements going (VR support especially was fucking woeful). The run-up to Odyssey's release was the final straw for me, where Frontier would not simply state that proper VR support for Odyssey was not happening, and never would, until after Odyssey was released. I was wise enough to not pre-order, but many weren't and were burned by that. I haven't bought Odyssey, have no plans to, and I have no plans to go back to the game despite having spent money on extras on both PS4 and PC on top of buying the game twice when making the switch from PS4 to PC. edit: THREE times, I bought it on Xbox as well!

David Braben doesn't like VR, and he doesn't like consoles; he only wants Elite as a 2D space-sim on PCs, and now he's got that at the expense of a lot "preposterously entitled" people.

Do me a fucking favour.

edit: I will happily retract my comments and edit the first post accordingly if Frontier allows the completely free transfer of both Xbox and PS4 accounts, including all progress (engineers, empire/Federation ranks etc.) and ships purchased, to the PC version with the players then only having to pay for the Odyssey expansion if they wish. 

They were CRYSTAL clear that Odyssey would not get VR from very early on after it was announced. A shit decision yes but they were never unclear about it.

I cannot say that Elite has been developed in directions that fit with my idea of the game... and the console abandonment is awful, but you may have gone a *tiny* bit overboard here!

1 hour ago, Meers said:

It's possible to transfer your console progress to PC, apparently. Thinking of doing that and continue on PC.

Only CMDR wealth can be transferred - We can transfer the total credit value of your Commander's assets to another platform (Credits and the Credit value of all owned ships and modules). DLC, Arx, cosmetics, ranks, merits, cargo, and other in-game progress cannot be transferred and will have to be re-earned or repurchased.

So you would have to grind out all your rep and lose access to Cobra IV etc if you have that. It is a joke that there is not a transfer everything option.

15 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

They were CRYSTAL clear that Odyssey would not get VR from very early on after it was announced. A shit decision yes but they were never unclear about it.

Crystal? You sure? In September 2020 Frontier posted this.

We understand that VR is a big part of Elite Dangerous and is a feature that holds a dedicated and passionate community. However, we do strongly believe that VR should only be enabled for on foot gameplay when we have an experience that truly matches the same quality bar that we set for cockpits. That said, we do hope that this implementation will allow our VR players the best possible transition between their VR experience and exploration on foot.

The implication there was that proper on-foot VR could be enabled at some point. To my knowledge it was only after Odyssey's release that they said it would never happen. Feel free to prove me wrong. 

1 hour ago, fragglerock said:

So you would have to grind out all your rep and lose access to Cobra IV etc if you have that. It is a joke that there is not a transfer everything option.

I certainly am not grinding out Elite Explorer status again just so I can go back to Jameson Memorial where I fucking live (in my head canon)

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

You're projecting a lot there while combining remarks from two different posters.

Oh I knew I was combining, and yeah maybe I'm projecting a little. My point still stands though.

Ah piss. Think the writing was on the wall a bit but I hoped if they were going to ditch last gen consoles they'd release current gen versions and keep those updated along with the PC version. I don't know what I'm talking about though and obviously it's more of a job to do that than I think it is, but I'm pretty bummed I'd have to lose my progress and buy a gaming PC to play new Elite stuff when there's surely a sufficiently powerful box just sitting next to my telly. 

18 hours ago, Thor said:

Well, if that's the way you see it. My pants are just fine. 

Come on dude.   The thread looks awful with that as the first post.   Despite the lastest news the game has given us all hundreds of hours of fun.  You can't leave the first post just be a picture and the word twat.  

28 minutes ago, hereticboy said:

Ah piss. Think the writing was on the wall a bit but I hoped if they were going to ditch last gen consoles they'd release current gen versions and keep those updated along with the PC version. I don't know what I'm talking about though and obviously it's more of a job to do that than I think it is, but I'm pretty bummed I'd have to lose my progress and buy a gaming PC to play new Elite stuff when there's surely a sufficiently powerful box just sitting next to my telly. 

I've played Elite on Nvidia Now and it's pretty sweeeet.  No need for a gaming PC

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

I've played Elite on Nvidia Now and it's pretty sweeeet.  No need for a gaming PC

Amazing. :lol:

Nah, no need for a gaming PC. Just buy the game again on PC, lose all your progress and have to grind that out, all for the cheap price of a monthly Nvidia Now Subscription.

You're unbelievable. 

• Thor changed the title to Elite Dangerous - Thargoids declare WAR!