Elite Dangerous - Thargoids declare WAR!

Thor

The tutorial mode in this is absolutely awful. And the one to do with travel is broken.

Broken?

Yeah, when you jumped into hyperspace, you never left it. It was supposed to be fixed in Gamma 1.01, but I've not checked. It also told you to press "not bound" to enter hyperspace, even though it's clearly bound to J.

The tutorials definitely need some polish and there's still a lot of stuff unexplained, but I'm slowly getting the hang of things like cargo scooping.

Yeah, when you jumped into hyperspace, you never left it. It was supposed to be fixed in Gamma 1.01, but I've not checked. It also told you to press "not bound" to enter hyperspace, even though it's clearly bound to J.

The tutorials definitely need some polish and there's still a lot of stuff unexplained, but I'm slowly getting the hang of things like cargo scooping.

Do the tutorials even address cargo scooping? Or how to use your radar? It's just so badly done. It's a tutorial that assumes you already know how to play it quite well.

I think they want to allow you to work out the more obvious things like the radar. Unless I dont understand it still :) . Yeah cargo scooping ought to be covered, but in a time when people complain about hand holdy tutorials it has a decent balance of giving you the basics and then chucking you out of the airlock.

I'm sure they'll flesh out the Help section in the menu as time goes on.

You mean in the two weeks until release?

I also found the tutroials very poor. They don't explain anything really. Surprising so close to the release.

You mean in the two weeks until release?

They've always been quite upfront they consider Elite Dangerous a platform that will be developed upon indefinitely. The first public release is them just drawing a line under what they've got so far and focusing on polishing and fixing. After that the game's still going to be changing for a long time to come.

I get that, but for most people the tutorial is the first experience they'll have of the game. If it's bad -- and I'd argue it is right now -- they'll have the seeds of buyer's remorse before even naming their commander. The onboarding process is not a good candidate for "launch and iterate" style development.

I had a bit of a dabble in gamma but I'm quite happy to wait and start afresh on the 16th. What I played was fun, though. Being scattered across the galaxy is great, I was so far away from the 10 system cluster I'd been calling home for the last 6 months it felt a bit weird.

Man, this does work on shitty PCs, just like Braben said! I haven't upgraded mine for five years, and the autodetect still shoved everything to high!

I've moved it down to mid though. Now if only I could find my trusty Saitek X45, and an adapter to make it work in a USB port, perhaps I could stop smashing my ship into everything....

The x45 has a usb I think you will find.

The Saitek keybind software is dodgy with windows 8 (blue screens it!), but the in game binding works. Means you cannot use the three 'sets' of controls but still pretty sweet.

I need to macgyver up some sort of tray on my chair though, otherwise it is too unergonomic on my desk, so mostly I play with the 360 pad.

Played a bit with just the TrackIR because of the oculus bug. Although its nice to see everything in hi res , its just not a patch on the VR experience, felt all wrong.

The game is MUCH better with OR.

Yep, this...

- Fix for lighting not appearing in the right eye on stereoscopic modes

Updating now.

• Thor changed the title to Elite Dangerous - Thargoids declare WAR!