rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Asura

Modelling question - Gundam models and topcoat

Just wondering if someone can help me with this (though I'd ask here as there are doubtless people who paint minis).

I'm trying to source a can of spray topcoat from Amazon to spray on Gundam models after I've weathered them. What I need has to be suitable for modelling use (i.e. not super-thick like Plastikote can be) and, most importantly, matte (I hate the shiny finish you can get from some sprays).

The American sites I've looked at refer to this as "matte topcoat", but that doesn't get me any worthwhile results on Amazon.

Can anyone suggest what I should get? Ideally, I want it to be from Amazon - as I've found everything else I need there, so it'd save on postage (and make things easier).

Personally I fix weathering powder with turps and leave it at that, and that's for gaming miniatures which see much more rough handling than Gundam models are likely to.

Testors Dullcote is widely considered the best matt spray varnish, but I don't think anyone sells it via Amazon.

there are specific liquids for this.

MIG are the best paints I have come across and their weathering solutions are 2nd to none, however a spray matt varnish will seal the deal for you.

However if you are serious about your applications you really need to invest in a decent airbrush and compressor I have an iwata and the difference your models appearance will have is worlds apart.

If i wasnt a painter i would spend my days full time doing this.

Just as a roundup of this; I eventually went for Tamiya TS-80 as I said, as well as two Tamiya weathering pallettes (A and C), and some modelling grade sandpaper with a gundam marker for the panel linings.

I'm not trying to get an incredibly professional result or really get into this as a hobby; the two Gundam models are the mobile suits the characters have in an RPG campaign I'm running, so that's the reason I got them. The thing is, I did build some Gundam Wing models back at uni (when Woolworths sold such things) and they were always poor, because without any work there's an inescapable "cheap toy" finish to them.

If I can get them looking matte, with panel linings and a bit of weathering here and there, that ought to be satisfactory for me.

The weathering palettes are fine - I use them myself with various bits and bobs, but I also recommend buying a pack of pastels (not the oil ones) from an artshop. Very inexpensive, and just shaving a little off and giving them a bit of a crush and you'll have enough powder to last forever.

As for fixing - MIG Pigment fixer does the job for me, although the Tamiya one will be fine.

I do recommend Testors Dullcote though - point blank it's the very best matt varnish on the market. I've been using it for years and nothing can compare to the finish you get from it. You can buy it from Antenociti's Workshop (along with pretty much anything else!). Well worth every penny.

• Upvote 1