Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise/Emily Blunt Sci-Fier

Goose

This is a sort of science fiction Groundhog Day, with Cruise's soldier dying in a battle and having to re-fight it each day. Here's the first, grainy shot.

The film sees Cruise play a military man who is killed during an abortive mission to eradicate an alien race. And as if that wasn’t bad enough, he soon finds himself forced to relive his death over and over again.

Direct physical contact with one of the aliens has thrown him into some sort of time loop, you see, meaning that poor old Cruise is forced to play out the fatal combat over and over and over. Although over time, he does at least find his skills developing...

The new image shows Cruise’s character in some kind of mecha-suit, with a panicked look on his face. As you can see from the billowing explosion behind him, the mission isn’t going altogether to plan.

Directed by Doug Liman and co-starring Emily Blunt and Bill Paxton (awww, man!), All You Need Is Kill opens in the UK on 14 March 2014.

post-242-0-48670800-1352464757.jpg

This is a sort of science fiction Groundhog Day, with Cruise's soldier dying in a battle and having to re-fight it each day. Here's the first, grainy shot.

It's a powered exoskeloton, not a 'mecha suit'.

This sort of thing is already well under development:

exo_main_485.jpg

2085626270102347975S500x500Q85.jpg

Wasn't Forever War being developed at one point? Hmm.

Edit: Apparently was/is

On October 12, 2008, Ridley Scott confirmed that after a 25 year wait for the rights to become available, he is making a return to science fiction with a film adaptation of the book.In March 2009, Scott confirmed that the film would be in 3D citing James Cameron's Avatar as an inspiration for doing so. "I'm filming a book by Joe Haldeman called Forever War. I've got a good writer doing it. I've seen some of James Cameron's work, and I've got to go 3D. It's going to be phenomenal." In the summer of 2010, Scott revealed that State of Play scribe Matthew Michael Carnahan, was currently on the fourth draft of a screenplay originally written by Blade Runner scribe David Peoples.

I imagine Smitty couldn't tell that the penultimate image in his list was from a hotlink-unfriendly site, rather than intentionally exposing us to a bollock ;)

Edit: it now appears to be the final image in the list. Smitty is slowly removing the live images so that we be treated to nothing more than balls :(

Slightly better quality picture and better synopsis

The story unfolds in a near future in which a hive-like alien race, called Mimics, have hit the Earth in an unrelenting assault, shredding great cities to rubble and leaving millions of human casualties in their wake. No army in the world can match the speed, brutality or seeming prescience of the weaponized Mimic fighters or their telepathic commanders. But now the world’s armies have joined forces for a last stand offensive against the alien horde, with no second chances.

Lt. Col. Bill Cage (Cruise) is an officer who has never seen a day of combat when he is unceremoniously demoted and then dropped—untrained and ill-equipped—into what amounts to little more than a suicide mission. Cage is killed within minutes, managing to take an Alpha down with him. But, impossibly, he awakens back at the beginning of the same hellish day, and is forced to fight and die again…and again. Direct physical contact with the alien has thrown him into a time loop—dooming him to live out the same brutal combat over and over.

But with each pass, Cage becomes tougher, smarter, and able to engage the Mimics with increasing skill, alongside Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Blunt), who has lain waste to more Mimics than anyone on Earth. As Cage and Rita take the fight to the aliens, each repeated battle becomes an opportunity to find the key to annihilating the alien invaders and saving the Earth.

post-242-0-71916300-1352494024_thumb.jpg

Good of Tom to establish the theme by doing his best Punxatawney Phil impression.

Also, didn't we already have a thread on this?

I thought we did too but couldn't find one. There's one for Oblivion, which is the other Tom Cruise sci-fi film from director Joseph Kosinski.

• 3 weeks later...

And as we were just recently talking about The Forever War in this thread, up pops this article. What's odd is, according to this article, Forever War is being adapted by the guy who wrote All You Need Is Kill...Article from The Film Stage

This past summer Ridley Scott returned to the genre that made him with the sci-fi blockbuster Prometheus and while that film landed with divisive reactions, he’s now set to tackle another beloved property in the genre. First picking up the rights around half-a-decade ago, it looks like things are moving again on an adaptation of Joe Haldeman‘s 1974 novel The Forever War.

While we heard murmurs a few years ago that Blade Runner scribe David Peopleswas circling the scripting gig, Deadline reports that Fox 2000 has handed the reigns over to Dante Harper, whose feature screenwriting debut Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters lands early next year. He’s also got major sci-fi experience with the currently shooting Tom Cruise action vehicle All You Need Is Kill.

While there is no timetable on when we’ll actually see this, the studio hopes this draft will help push it up on Scott’s ever-expanding potential project list. The director is wrapping up The Counselor for a release next year and since I can’t see a sequel to Prometheus moving forward, I’d certainly be happy with seeing this adaptation come to fruition. Check out the synopsis of the novel below.

The book tells the timeless story of war, in this case a conflict between humanity and the alien Taurans. Humans first bumped heads with the Taurans when we began using collapsars to travel the stars. Although the collapsars provide nearly instantaneous travel across vast distances, the relativistic speeds associated with the process means that time passes slower for those aboard ship. For William Mandella, a physics student drafted as a soldier, that means more than 27 years will have passed between his first encounter with the Taurans and his homecoming, though he himself will have aged only a year. When Mandella finds that he can’t adjust to Earth after being gone so long from home, he reenlists, only to find himself shuttled endlessly from battle to battle as the centuries pass.

I've taken to replace words in other Beatles songs with the word kill. The best one so far is...

While my guitar gently kills.

Ayefangkew

I kill the walrus

Photos from the filming that's happening in London, at The Oval.

Edit: guess they only seem to have been using it as a helicopter staging area.

article-2241177-164A4EED000005DC-659_634x416.jpg

article-2241177-164A4EE8000005DC-396_634x407.jpg

article-2241177-164A4EFF000005DC-287_634x405.jpg

tom-cruise-london-2-jpg_112956.jpg

Tom+Cruise+%27All+You+Need+Is+Kill%27+film+set.jpg

reg_634.tom.ls.112512_copy.jpg

tom-cruise-military-attire-for-all-you-need-is-kill-01.jpg

In this last photo, that's the director just to the left of Cruise, strangely hands full with the script and a clipboard of shot list / storyboards. You'd think he'd have a PA to carry that stuff around, wouldn't you.