IGNORED

Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise/Emily Blunt Sci-Fier

Goose

The war is spectacle to allow a bizarre romantic relationship to develop [humanity was always going to win the war] and we were robbed of a resolution.

Wrong ,you got a resolution. You're asking for two resolutions.

Spoiler tags until theatrical release is over, innit?

I guess but I would love for people to watch the film fresh. I had Captain America 2 ruined by spoilers. :(

There was never any remote chance that that wasn't going to happen! That wasn't my investment in the movie by the end.

The film leaves what happens next to your imagination and your common sense. That doesn't mean there isn't a resolution.

Hell the resolution is BEATING THE ALPHA TOGETHER. That is the resolution. The resolution to both of their experiences, and to audience's journey with them.

The film leaves what happens next to your imagination and your common sense. That doesn't mean there isn't a resolution.

Hell the resolution is BEATING THE ALPHA TOGETHER. That is the resolution.

I was never in any doubt that this big budget sci-fi movie would end with civilisation beating the aliens. The character subtlety of one person falling in love with another who regarded them as a stranger was the most interesting plot thread for me. Sorry.

I think rita is being written off a bit easily here.

On the handful of occasions we see where cruise uses his powers to manipulate the situation she usually susses him out eventually and doesnt see overly happy about it. Bare in mind she's well aware of just how much he might know. If she was just a random person it'd be another matter, but she's in a good position to call him on any bullshit.

And, since he knows her so well, he'd probably know that too. And I'm not sure he gets any more second chances, so I expect he'd be on good behaviour and not try to play anyone just in case it blows up in his face. He may well have a few instinctive moments where he uses his knowledge without expressly meaning to, but that's life.

How is it a happy ending?

He goes further back in time than usual, and that's it. The Omega still needs to be defeated, everything still has to be done. How is it a happy ending? It's just a reset to an earlier point. That's it.

Did you storm out of the cinema in disgust as soon as he woke up in the helicopter? There's a press conference bit immediately after that which explains that the Mimics are unable to fight any more following an enormous energy surge in Paris.

The Omega exists in 4 dimensions; killing it means it's death ripples back through time and Cage, absorbing it's blood on death, piggybacks on it and therefore wakes earlier than usual.

There's a link up thread to a guys blog where he breaks it down comprehensively.

But that's just one guy's (plausible) theory, right? It's not that the ending doesn't make sense, it's that it's open to interpretation and one interpretation was that it was "shite".

I didn't think the ending was all that amazing. The last few minutes are the weakest part of one of my favourite scifi movies in a long time, whatever you think of them, they don't ruin anything.

Okay I can accept that.

It's a shame that you simply resorted to gifs and contempt instead of explaining why I was wrong. But then, I guess...

cunt.gif

Bully!

First of all. Thank you for not openly taking the piss, insulting my intelligence, and/or basically just pointing and laughing it me. What happened at the end doesn't make any logical sense.

He's gone back to an earlier time, that's great. But if he's gone back, why isn't the Omega still alive? How does Cage killing the Omega later in one timeline mean the end of the Omega in another timeline at earlier point?

Ah sorry, I misunderstood - I thought you'd interpreted the end as him failing. Yeah, you're right - there's some pretty serious hand-waving you have to accept at the end to get around its logical discrepancies. Personally it wasn't enough to stop me enjoying it.

But that's just one guy's (plausible) theory, right? It's not that the ending doesn't make sense, it's that it's open to interpretation and one interpretation was that it was "shite".

I didn't think the ending was all that amazing. The last few minutes are the weakest part of one of my favourite scifi movies in a long time, whatever you think of them, they don't ruin anything.

Regardless of what you think of the mechanics of it, the alpha is clearly dead and so are the army of mimics. Somehow LeChuck didn't pick up on this.

Personally I don't have any problem with the ending - no-one has any idea what the effects of timetravel would be, how a creature operating in 4 dimensions and manipulating quantum physics or whatever would work. It is brilliantly exotic and alien and that's enough for me.

Yep, quite explicitly with words and images. Anyone not picking up on that deserves ridicule.

As for the "that's one theory" - what are the others? I thought that was the intended and only explanation. Didn't think there was much more there to interpret any differently.

I watched this on Saturday night and thought it was alright but not great, yet having read through the last few pages and come away puzzled I was evidently far, far more drunk than I realised and I should watch it again really. The kicker being that, thinking about it, I can't even remember the end at all :mellow:

Watched as a kind of last resort, there's not a lot out we haven't seen and I'm getting a bit sick of Corrie.

And it was a surprisingly great. Felt like being on the tight save / play / die / load loop of playing Quake years ago :D There's a load of plot flaws, some overly mawkish sections and an ending that doesn't live up to the rest of the movie BUT it doesn't matter because it's also more than good enough.

Hope he makes more like this.

The only thing worse than the ending of this film, would be me resetting back to the point where I begin watching it, and having to sit through this shite over and over again.

There is no plausible ending for the movie, there is no 4th dimension, it's a single dimension with a moving timeline, otherwise when he resets he wouldn't have the knowledge of what happened because it wouldnt have happened to him it would have been 'other dimension Tom Cruise' that got brutally murdered on the beach, essentially Cage is a walking PVR, each time he survives he records more of the day, each time he dies recording stops, playback then starts again, until the end, when it's not just him rewinding,

the entire concept of the reset changes, and it becomes a mess, at which point the whole story changes to, this shit happened

wpid-Photo-Jan-6-2014-814-PM.jpg