IGNORED

Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise/Emily Blunt Sci-Fier

Goose

14 minutes ago, Pob said:

Interesting that this film's fortunes eventually turned around. Last I read it was a box office turkey almost on the scale of Heaven's Gate.

Did it turn around and eventually become successful then? That'd make sense, as it'd be weird to see something get an utterly needless sequel to a self contained story just for the sake of it when there's no more cash to be squeezed from the lifeless corpse. 

5 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Did it turn around and eventually become successful then? That'd make sense, as it'd be weird to see something get an utterly needless sequel to a self contained story just for the sake of it when there's no more cash to be squeezed from the lifeless corpse. 

According to the article linked to above that mentioned the sequel it did great guns internationally despite being disappointing domestically.

The irony is the book it was based on was left wide open for a sequel

where they just eventually won that particular battle rather than ending the war

, but they seem to have tied the film up thoroughly from what I remember of it!

No. Edge of Tomorrow is one the most bland, forgetable names in action movie history and the whole way the film was packaged and publicised was criminally negligent. It is an utterly brilliant story with a great cast and excellently put together battle sequences. If they had called it Live Die Repeat and just packaged it so that two high octance mini-trailers played between a trailer for another film, with both mini-trailers ending with Cruise dying, it would have taken billions at the box office.

They're both kind of enigmatic. Live Die Repeat sounds cooler though and it is more indicative of what the film is about and suggests something more about the structure that elevates it above the average sci-fi actioner.

I think quite the opposite, I can just as easily see Live. Die. Repeat. being a Jason Statham movie, it's basically the plot of the movie and a spoiler to boot, which is my biggest issue with it. Edge of Tomorrow was very surprising to me, I watched it because I heard it was good and that was about it. I'm sure I'd have ended up liking it whatever it was called but with Live. Die. Repeat. I can imagine having made some narrative leaps and predictions that I would rather have played out naturally and in the moment.

1 hour ago, DogEyedBoy said:

Thanks for that, glad to know I was misinformed of my opinion.

Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, I just totally disagree, and my post is exactly what I thought when I read yours. No animosity intended.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Yeah it's an awesome film. I can't really see how the sequel can go if they stick with tom cruise though.

Part of what makes it such a good film is that it doesn't bother doing what Hollywood (and the book industry as well) has developed a tendency to do with any kind of big budget genre film like this, which is stop the story and action for minutes at a time to set up sequels and spin offs to the extent that the film you are actually watch can seem secondary. It's beautifully self-contained in a way that seems almost quaint (but shouldn't).

That said, I am totally up for a sequel even though I can't think what it would be.

Can we have a time traveling Mary Poppins?

Also watched this for the first time the other day, was better than I expected. I'm not a Cruise fan so I avoided this, but it's alright and surprisingly funny.