Nintendo Wii U

deKay

I want them to do Wii Sports Resort U - where the gamepad player can influence the multiplayer games in some way... Like, be Samuel Jackson in the fruit slicing game, or stuff like that.

Also, a knightmare type game where the screen player has the nun chuck and WiiMote but not a clear view of what's going on while the gamepad player directs them through the challenges...

Apart from Dead on Arrival wannabees like the CD32, N-Gage or Gizmodo that were already doomed before release, I really can't think of a single console I found more disappointing. It's the main reason why I don't have a Wii U despite being the kind of person that'll buy alomst anything shiny and gamey.

Jaguar? 3DO? I'd even put the N64 waaaaay behind the Wii, good as that was.

The 360 didn't get going till Oblivion. That's what made me get one for sure. The PS3 got going after the major redesign slimmer model came out with multiple bundled games like LBP and Killzone 2 and Uncharted.

Quoted for serious-untruths.

Yeah some short memories there, the N64 launch was mind blowing with Mario and Pilot wings but there wasnt anyting for months and months - i think waverace was a few months down the line if memory serves and i don't recall any third party games worth buying for eons

Jaguar? 3DO? I'd even put the N64 waaaaay behind the Wii, good as that was.

I never owned a Jaguar or 3DO, but the N64 completely destroys the Wii. Titles may have been sparse and droughts were long, but it had an amazing selection of games pushing the medium forward and (re)inventing genres. Mario Galaxy was the only Wii game that measures up against the best the N64 had to offer IMO.

We see it with every console launch, yet some seem to forget that, 360 had fuck all after launch till oblivion. Ps3 had fuck all at launch but ports and the odd game. It takes time to get the software rolling out and with ninty not getting the same third party support as the other two it was always going to be this way.

The other HD consoles had the benefit of up-ports from the SD consoles for the first 12 months, so you had a wider range of games available which just isn't there for the Wii U, since all the development on Wii ended years ago.

Plus 6/7 years ago publishers and developers were just releasing more retail games in general, EA went from releasing 70 games a year to 12 this year, this gen, so both those consoles possibly had more retail games released in their first year than they do today.

Also even at launch Microsoft was doing 2 games a week at the start of the gen through XBLA, Wii U Ware has had about 2-3 a month.

Plus there's nothing about being a launch period that involves major publishers and developers cutting off support, something that took years to happen to the Gamecube.

So no, the period in which it has launched in has meant that it's far worse than the HD consoles, and worse than previous Nintendo consoles.

I never owned a Jaguar or 3DO, but the N64 completely destroys the Wii. Titles may have been sparse and droughts were long, but it had an amazing selection of games pushing the medium forward and (re)inventing genres. Mario Galaxy was the only Wii game that measures up against the best the N64 had to offer IMO.

At this point in the N64's life (when it was 6 months old) we had:

Mario 64

Star Wars SOTE

Pilotwings 64

Mario Kart 64

Wave Race

Crusin' USA

Wayne Gretsky

How does that compare to the Wii U's current line-up?

Actually, here's a list of what we have at the moment, not including the eShop:

Batman: Arkham City – Armored Edition
Ben 10: Omniverse
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Darksiders II
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade
FIFA 13
Funky Barn
Game Party Champions
Just Dance 4
Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Rabbids Land
Skylanders: Giants
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sports Connection
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
Transformers: Prime – The Game
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU
Assassin's Creed III
007 Legends
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
NBA 2K13
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Sing Party
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2'
The Amazing Spider-Man: Ultimate Edition
The Croods: Prehistoric Party!
Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Lego City Undercover
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Numbers aside that's possibly one of the least exciting lists I've ever seen, more coma inducing than pulse racing for me. Certainly doesn't push me in the direction of picking up a Wii U, which is a shame.

What would you like to see then?

At this point in the N64's life (when it was 6 months old) we had:

Mario 64

Star Wars SOTE

Pilotwings 64

Mario Kart 64

Wave Race

Crusin' USA

Wayne Gretsky

How does that compare to the Wii U's current line-up?

Nothing in the wii u lineup compares to M64 (for me nothing before or since has done on any system) or Pilotwings & Wave race.

NSMBU is brilliant and up there as one of the best Mario games but after that you have some really very good stuff like Sonic, Nintendoland etc but for me nothing AAA (not tried Lego yet tbh)

In summary, there is a much better range and overall quality but no Mario 64 or Halo quality game to make it a must have console (yet)

At my birthday Nintendo party the other night, most people thought the Wii U was an expansion 'pak' for the Wii.

Quite a common misconception but it was interesting to hear so many people actually say it.

"Eh? Oh! I thought it was just an add on for the Wii. This is awesome though, how much are they?"

If I were to treat myself to a Wii U Basic (what with the tasty prices floating around at the minute) what would I need to buy to "spec up" to the level of a Premium (other than an extra memory card and a copy of Nintendoland)?

I never owned a Wii so I thought that this might be a good time to catch up on the games I missed like the Mario Galaxies etc. Does the Basic one lack any of the components I'd need to do this?

Cheers Wii U-ers

I'm not sure if posting lists will get us anywhere, but to answer your question: there are at least 3 games in that N64 list you posted that made you want to buy the console if you saw it running in a window display for the first time. 3 games that were better than anything else that was out there at the time. In 6 months time. That's 1 more than the Wii achieved during its entire lifespan. And it's 3 more than the Wii U has now.

While you might be right in some ways Nap (absolutely not all of them, because stuff like saying the Wii had only 1 great game is pushing it even for you), a little adjustment to your comment would make a big difference - because in my opinion, and many others, if you change 'saw it running through a window' to 'actually got hands-on and played it' things change pretty drastically for Wii U.

Throw all the fanboy stuff around however you want, but it's what I'm seeing first-hand - people are sceptical, they don't see the benefit etc etc and then they play it and it suddenly makes much more sense. I can only call it how I see it, and I see people surprised by it and enjoying it once they've experienced it.

This is obviously a problem for Nintendo to try and fix, but it does make it frustrating to see people cast stuff like NintendoLand to the side so easily without having actually given it a chance by playing it themselves. It's chicken and egg - I don't expect people to just trust me and rush out to buy a Wii U, but I do just wish there was a way for more people to actually get hands-on with one before they ran around calling it nothing but a failed gimmick that offers nothing new or different or worthwhile.

This is obviously a problem for Nintendo to try and fix, but it does make it frustrating to see people cast stuff like NintendoLand to the side so easily without having actually given it a chance by playing it themselves. It's chicken and egg - I don't expect people to just trust me and rush out to buy a Wii U, but I do just wish there was a way for more people to actually get hands-on with one before they ran around calling it nothing but a failed gimmick that offers nothing new or different or worthwhile.

I've tried the Wii U, and I see the controller could have potential but so far none of the games (well, apart from ZombiU maybe) use it in a way I find interesting. I appreciate NintendoLand does a very good job at showing the possibilities of the controller and asynchronous multiplayer gaming, but at the end of the day it's just a multiplayer focused partygame collection and that's a genre I don't give a toss about regardless of control methods.

Throw all the fanboy stuff around however you want, but it's what I'm seeing first-hand - people are sceptical, they don't see the benefit etc etc and then they play it and it suddenly makes much more sense. I can only call it how I see it, and I see people surprised by it and enjoying it once they've experienced it.

I played Super Mario Bros. U from start to finish, played Nintendo Land and some downloadable stuff - I wasn't impressed, Mario U was fun but nothing special. The only game that really makes me want to pick up a Wii U so far is Zombi U and it's a damn shame that Nintendo hasn't been able to make anything as impressive yet for the Wii U as some random Ubisoft launch game. As has been said before, compare that to the SNES and the N64, which featured an impressive line-up of unmissable Nintendo titles right from the start.

If anything, actually playing the Wii U has convinced me to wait a bit longer before buying one - just Zombi U alone doesn't justify that purchase.

I played Super Mario Bros. U from start to finish, played Nintendo Land and some downloadable stuff - I wasn't impressed, Mario U was fun but nothing special. The only game that really makes me want to pick up a Wii U so far is Zombi U and it's a damn shame that Nintendo hasn't been able to make anything as impressive yet for the Wii U as some random Ubisoft launch game. As has been said before, compare that to the SNES and the N64, which featured an impressive line-up of unmissable Nintendo titles right from the start.

If anything, actually playing the Wii U has convinced me to wait a bit longer before buying one - just Zombi U alone doesn't justify that purchase.

A gamer without Monster Hunter 3 in his life is no gamer at all...

The problem with the Wii U is that it has pretty much been directly competing with the 360/PS3 off the bat. No time for sentimentalities of "it's early days" and "it's better than the 360/PS3 were at the beginning of their lives" because the machine is similar to those already out, albeit with shitter media and network capabilities. These are games it has had to compete with:

-Far Cry 3

-Ni No Kuni

-Crysis 3

-Metal Gear RIsing

-Tomb Raider 9

-Gears of War 4

-Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2

-Army of Two 3

-Bshock Infinite

-Tiger Woods 14

-Dead Island 1.5

Varying quality and whatever aside, there's nothing much to entice people to the Wii U.

The problem with the Wii U is that it has pretty much been directly competing with the 360/PS3 off the bat. No time for sentimentalities of "it's early days" and "it's better than the 360/PS3 were at the beginning of their lives" because the machine is similar to those already out, albeit with shitter media and network capabilities. These are games it has had to compete with:

-Far Cry 3

-Ni No Kuni

-Crysis 3

-Metal Gear RIsing

-Tomb Raider 9

-Gears of War 4

-Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2

-Army of Two 3

-Bshock Infinite

-Tiger Woods 14

-Dead Island 1.5

Varying quality and whatever aside, there's nothing much to entice people to the Wii U.

I agree with this... the tail end of this gen is excellent just now and I'd go as far to say that, other than for the 'master race' types or folks who consume 50 games a month... there's plenty of life left in it, especially now that the indie scene is really getting going.

This just makes it all the worse that you can't play PSN games on the PS4.

Lego City Undercover is the Wii U's best game - that's a game they need to bundle in with the premium for £199 this Christmas and advertise the fuck out of it. Sorted.

Lots of people are dismissing it because Lego... and 'kiddie'.

Lego City and ZombieU made me want the console. But not at the price they were asking. I swapped with another muk user, and while I'm very happy as we both offloaded kit we weren't using, if I'd laid out the £350 or whatever at the time for console (premium) plus Lego, I'd probably be a bit miffed.

As it stands though, I'm not seeing any reason to hang onto it once I've finished what I'm playing. They need to start getting some exclusives out fast to raise interest and keep people onboard. Otherwise there'll be a mass exodus to next gen as WiiU has no games!

edit: Lego City is possibly one of the best games I've played on any console. Superbly written and great fun for all ages.

Lots of people are dismissing it because Lego... and 'kiddie'.

I looked at a few video review and the characters and dialogue look fantastic but the gameplay looks like pretty standard fare open world stuff with some horrific load times.

Regarding kiddie - every review I've seen says it's not very challenging at all. You can obviously see why, but it's still a valid complaint,

Do games need to be challenging to be good? Is that actually a valid complaint?

I really liked A World of Keflings on the 360 because there was no challenge at all. I could start it on a Sunday evening when I've had a baked potato and just play around. It was the Inspector Morse of games.

Lego City Undercover is Antiques Roadshow. It's lovely.