Nintendo Wii U

deKay

The problem with the Wii U is that it has pretty much been directly competing with the 360/PS3 off the bat. No time for sentimentalities of "it's early days" and "it's better than the 360/PS3 were at the beginning of their lives" because the machine is similar to those already out, albeit with shitter media and network capabilities. These are games it has had to compete with:

-Far Cry 3

-Ni No Kuni

-Crysis 3

-Metal Gear RIsing

-Tomb Raider 9

-Gears of War 4

-Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2

-Army of Two 3

-Bshock Infinite

-Tiger Woods 14

-Dead Island 1.5

Varying quality and whatever aside, there's nothing much to entice people to the Wii U.

Completely agree there. Making matters worse is the fact that no games like those mentioned look like coming out in the near or far future either.

Being piss easy is a positive for Lego City.

The game is all about chilling, smashing, laughing and exploring in this colourful, mega friendly, content rich world. Challenge would get in the way of that. It also means that the lack of refinement present in the core gameplay isn't ever an issue, because you are always moving forward onto some other fun bit, and enjoying what the game does best.

It's nothing like the best game ever made, but I think it's the best open world ever made.

I looked at a few video review and the characters and dialogue look fantastic but the gameplay looks like pretty standard fare open world stuff with some horrific load times.

Regarding kiddie - every review I've seen says it's not very challenging at all. You can obviously see why, but it's still a valid complaint,

can't a game just be good fun?

The enjoyment in Lego City is just in being in the world and playing in it and uncovering the secrets. The fact that it's not challenging is a bonus actually.

loading times aren't really a problem once the game starts... it's made worse at the beginning because there's a lot of jumping around, but, during the game proper - it's not a problem...

and there's no noticeable loading at all in the overworld. Even when going to other islands and stuff.

I don't really see what's wrong with a game being easy as long as it's interesting and charismatic enough to make me want to continue playing, which this is. Knowing I can just switch it on and do a few missions, amble around the scenery, smash a few things up, all within about half an hour - that's why I like it.

How much?

How much? Surely the fact the N64 launched with 3d games that could never have been pulled off (properly) on the SNES and also that a lot of new types of games were coming out - we had barely seen a 3d game like Mario 64 (sure tomb raider came first, but it wasn't quite the same) and stuff like Wave race and Pilotwings improved those genres. We even had Blast corps which was a one of a kid.

No wonder Zelda is so highly regarded - it was really the first action rpg of its kind to go to the scale it did (again it launched when MGS did but they were different enough).

Nowadays its *another* fps or*another* racing game with shinier graphics.

Yes, but look at the hardware itself. If the Wii is two Gamecubes sellotaped together, the Wii-U has to be at least 2.5 Wiis. That's FIVE GameCubes. We've never had five Gamecubes sellotaped together before.

How much? Surely the fact the N64 launched with 3d games that could never have been pulled off (properly) on the SNES and also that a lot of new types of games were coming out - we had barely seen a 3d game like Mario 64 (sure tomb raider came first, but it wasn't quite the same) and stuff like Wave race and Pilotwings improved those genres. We even had Blast corps which was a one of a kid.

No wonder Zelda is so highly regarded - it was really the first action rpg of its kind to go to the scale it did (again it launched when MGS did but they were different enough).

Nowadays its *another* fps or*another* racing game with shinier graphics.

I think you're evading the question here. I'm looking for a number.

While you might be right in some ways Nap (absolutely not all of them, because stuff like saying the Wii had only 1 great game is pushing it even for you), a little adjustment to your comment would make a big difference - because in my opinion, and many others, if you change 'saw it running through a window' to 'actually got hands-on and played it' things change pretty drastically for Wii U.Throw all the fanboy stuff around however you want, but it's what I'm seeing first-hand - people are sceptical, they don't see the benefit etc etc and then they play it and it suddenly makes much more sense. I can only call it how I see it, and I see people surprised by it and enjoying it once they've experienced it.This is obviously a problem for Nintendo to try and fix, but it does make it frustrating to see people cast stuff like NintendoLand to the side so easily without having actually given it a chance by playing it themselves. It's chicken and egg - I don't expect people to just trust me and rush out to buy a Wii U, but I do just wish there was a way for more people to actually get hands-on with one before they ran around calling it nothing but a failed gimmick that offers nothing new or different or worthwhile.

Hey, hey guys. He's comparing Nintendo Land to Super Mario 64! ::laughter::

Yes, but look at the hardware itself. If the Wii is two Gamecubes sellotaped together, the Wii-U has to be at least 2.5 Wiis. That's FIVE GameCubes. We've never had five Gamecubes sellotaped together before.

N64 did about 1,500 polys per frame. GC did over 250,000. THAT was a big leap in power.

N64 did about 1,500 polys per frame. GC did over 250,000. THAT was a big leap in power.

Doesn't really make a difference in the abstract. The move from 2D to 3D was probably a bigger leap in the eyes of onlookers than the leap from "some polygons" to "lots more polygons"; when the DC/PS2/Xbox/GCN appeared, it would have been unusual to not expect better graphics than before.

Closest I can find is the Wii is pushing 23,040,000 polygons per second. Quite a leap? or complete crap?

It's a shame that both the N64 and the Wii push those polygons through a vat of vaseline before pushing them out to your TV screen.

On the machine that doesn't have all the buttons it needs? Why does this point keep being forgotten about?

It uses the back touchpad thing for L2 and R2. It works OK. Depends on the game.

Yeah, but as the Wii version was impossible to buy instore and completely unmarketed, that's not really fair.

The PSV port hasn't been released outside of Japan yet...

The comparison is purely Japan-only, a several year old port selling aswell on a struggling new system as it managed on the much higher userbase Wii home console, so complaining about how games are just ports and nobody will buy them seems not exactly 100% accurate in all scenarios. You could compare the sales of third party ports on Wii and PS3 in the US over the launch months where the PS3 owners were buying at a greater relative rate to Wii owners, despite the Wii having a massive hardware sales advantage, which was a positive signal to companies like EA to continue support.

Compare that to what their ports have so far done in the US on the Wii U, very weak numbers, NFS did sub 10K, despite people saying this was the port that had the necessary cherry on top and gave them platform superiority (until people started bringing up the lack of DLC milking that the other systems were treated to anyway), probably the best selling new racing game release of the last year, EA shifted 5 Million units across PS3/X360/PC so they might have expected a slightly better start than some niche Japanese import.

I suppose I could mention the numbers for Plants Vs Zombies or Angry Birds Trilogy on DS/3DS, who are these idiots buying games costing several/10s of times more arriving years late? ;)

A gamer without Monster Hunter 3 in his life is no gamer at all...

Is that a subtle hint to buy a 3DS then ;) because that is a much more saner decision to make if you want to play MonHun into the future.

A gamer without Monster Hunter 3 in his life is no gamer at all...

Some of us have played it plenty on the Wii and PSP (isn't the latest one just the wii one with some added content? I've played plenty of Tri thanks). Not everyone comes to franchises years late bro.

Closest I can find is the Wii is pushing 23,040,000 polygons per second. Quite a leap? or complete crap?

Not sure what you mean.

Converting from per frame to per second that would put N64 at around 90k GC at 15million & Wii at 23 million. Sounds about right with the N64->GC being an unusually big jump.

I was only messing BTW.

Some of us have played it plenty on the Wii and PSP (isn't the latest one just the wii one with some added content? I've played plenty of Tri thanks). Not everyone comes to franchises years late bro.

Two lines bolded there contradict each other @_@; Any proper long playing monster hunter will understand it is not just a simple update :hat:

In any case, nab a 3DS and jump back in - you will surpass the tri content really fast - it seems easier and quicker at the start (to get you though tri stuff quickly) and there is just a lot more stuff in it and the famed G rank too! (only just got to G rank)