Nintendo Wii U

deKay

It'll be an uphill battle at the very least, their second wind of games will be hitting just around the time that Sony and Microsoft are probably starting their massive marketing blitzes.

True.

But has the market changed so much that Nintendo won't be able to survive one gen purely on its fanbase - as was the case with the 'cube ?

The casual electronics market is dominated by tablets in the midst of a very long recession/period of extremely low growth. It's not really comparable to the cube years.

it'll be interesting to see how ps4 does, but (and perhaps this is just me getting older) theres a lot more competition for a gamers time and money than there was in 2001, or 2005.

I for one will be quite reticent to buy either a new playstation or a new xbox after my experiences in the gen just passed. I don't honestly think I have ever had two machines that broke down as much as they did. My old zx spectrum is still going strong, and they were basically made from lolly pop sticks and bottle tops.

It'll be an uphill battle at the very least, their second wind of games will be hitting just around the time that Sony and Microsoft are probably starting their massive marketing blitzes.

An uphill struggle to what?

As far as I can see Nintendo still made a profit, albeit not as much as they were expecting. The Wii U machine is also sold at a loss which is made up for by one software sale. http://m.gamespot.com/news/wii-u-profitable-with-just-one-software-sale-6400457 There you go, a Nintendo machine that plays Nintendo games plus various other third party ones.

I don't understand this urge some people have for Nintendo to fail. They're making profit, not as much as the shareholders want, but a profit nevertheless.

Will Iwata be sacked if profits really do start to fall though?

The Wii fad has gone, theyre left with the "core" gamers now for the most part. And most of them are waiting on PS4/Nextbox. The thing cant survive on first party only, and downports are gona look realllly bad.

The Wii fad has gone, theyre left with the "core" gamers now for the most part. And most of them are waiting on PS4/Nextbox. The thing cant survive on first party only, and downports are gona look realllly bad.

watch dogs looks fine to me

and as I mentioned, I wasn't a big customer of EA anyway so wii u is fine for me. There are only so many power armoured space marine based games or sports licences you can play y'know?

Why can it not survive on first party only?

Yes!! Go for cerebrating return of glorious leader!!

FlZ7bme.jpg

Ha, he's the one that lost all the third party support for the GameCube.

I'm interested to see how big the PS4 and Durango sales are. The PS3 and 360 sales haven't really fallen off a cliff like the Wii's did and the consoles themselves are still nearly £200 each, I don't expect EA or Activision to stop making FIFA and CoD for them anytime soon so I'm interested to see what the big thing will be that will make everyone who is not a hardcore gamer upgrade.

Maybe that's right. I think, a good 3D Mario, Zelda (old and new), Pikmin, Wii Fit, Mario Golf, XenoBlade RPG, Paper Mario RPG (ok wishful) will be enough to make the machine a must buy. Those are all on the horizon. Are you prepared to miss out on them? (Well I guess you are but..)

Lets all come back in February next year and see where we are.

Anecdotal evidence ahoy, but it's what I see. I have 7 and 9 year old boys, and they love the Wii U. Their friends are insanely jealous that they can't play Lego City Undercover, made even worse by the fact that they can play the 3DS City game, and hear of all the cool stuff in the Wii U game. Same, but to a lesser extent, with NSMB. WIth more stuff to come before christmas, the Wii U will rank highly on christmas present wish lists. To say, as some have said in this thread, that Nintendo only has the core gamers left and has lost the casuals to tablets is complete and utter tosh. My boys, and their friends, like the iOS games, but more to play if there is nothing else about. They are committed to their 3DSs, and love playing games on the TV. This is the market Nintendo will aim at for christmas, the same market that brought them the massive successes of the Wii.

So EA have taken their ball home. People taking that as the death knell for the WiiU is crazy. And when the WiiU has family friendly software, using familiar IP, at a lower price come christmas (there does need to be, and will be, an official price dop), the Wii U will sell. And lets see how EAs investors feel about the moves management has made recently then.

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo still has plenty of scope to screw this up, but I really don't think they will. They are playing the long term game while EA play the short game.

What's the worst that can happen now? Console abandoned?

To me it all seems like hysteria. Few people really go out to buy a console. They buy the games they want and sometimes that means picking up a console to play them on. So far, the Wii U has a very small selection of great games and a larger selected of ports and mediocre stuff. For me, I was up for buying it because I wanted to play NintendoLand and knew there would be a dozen or so amazing Nintendo games along at some point.

But currently there isn't a compelling selection of games for most people so they aren't buying the machine. This is nothing to do with power or screens in the controller. It's about games. If and when there are a decent number (or even one) "essential" games available, the thing will sell.

For me, that point has passed but clearly for the masses there isn't that key game or that key group of games that trigger the purchase. It would be daft to suggest that Nintendo won't produce those games though.

Exactly. Nintendo will churn out titles and, as always, they will sell millions. Just think how many Wii's sold of the back of mario kart. It's sales figures were stunning.

There's quite a number of things coming over the next few months to keep me playing my wiiU. As for the casual gamer well that's a differant story, as you said there's no big hock for them at the moment.

Knowing nintendo though they will find something. It is , as always, about the games in the end.

I'm interested to see how big the PS4 and Durango sales are. The PS3 and 360 sales haven't really fallen off a cliff like the Wii's did and the consoles themselves are still nearly £200 each, I don't expect EA or Activision to stop making FIFA and CoD for them anytime soon so I'm interested to see what the big thing will be that will make everyone who is not a hardcore gamer upgrade.

however, going on previous style, microsoft will drop the 360 dead once durango is released, and ps3 will probably be left with shovelware like ps2 was.

And I still wonder just what percentage of both systems sales were made up from people replacing dead consoles. I know people on their third or fourth xbox/ps3 which is just ludicrous.

Why do you think the current industry buzz word is "Cross-generational". Even single one of them is shitting their pants about the next gen possibly not selling like this gen did so they are hedging their bets. The Industry has been flooded with money men obsessed about short-termism and quarterly profits.

Last gen there was talk of the Wii360. Or the 2 essential consoles.

I think that's even truer this gen. It sounds like the PS4 & Xbox Infinity/Durango are quite similar. Escalating dev costs make exclusives less likely. It seems like buying just one of the two new consoles is quite reasonable. The Wii U is a separate proposition which is clearly essential to millions.

Last gen I bought all 3. Same as the previous gen. This gen I have a Wii U already but I think it's quite likely I'll skip one of the others. And based on current rumours I'll be skipping the new Xbox (my favourite console this gen).

What does Nintendo publishing the exclusive Sonic games actually mean for them, do Sega and Nintendo pool together on the development costs and the make money with each sale?

To change up an old EDGE cover quote a little:

WII U DOOMED

SEGA + NINTENDO UNSTOPPABLE

Pretty much in agreement with Pickford. Though Scott's been saying it forever now too. It's the games that matter, and EA are not exactly known for quality for a uh, forever, in my case.

Nintendo bashing is still deserved to a large extent, but they're hardly doomed.

This thread is amusing.

The wiiu is the only opportunity i get to play videogames with me 3 and 7 year old daughters.

Xbox and ps have practically nothing we can play together and especially so with xbox.

We love it. When pikmin comes out we will be all over it... Lush, cartoon style visuals.... And you know it will play well.

Wind waker will also be a winner.

Tonight i sat down for the first time in ages to have another bash on zombiu after only really putting an hour in before..... Its great fun. Proper scary stuff.... Great setting.

I think it will turn out to be a very fondly remembered console in a few years time, home to some of the best games ever made. Thatll do me, i will have a ps4 for the shooters....

Embrace it.

I made a pledge to myself that I was only going to go with nintendo this gen. I haven't seen anything thus far from the competition to swerve me from that conviction. I await E3 with baited breath, but don't really think it's going to hold anything to blow me away. I have tired of the whole "graphics arms race" and just want to play some fun games with some original ideas, which the wii u seems perfectly situated to provide. The other two will only likely stick to ports of the big "blockbusters" while the wii u can probably do ports of them and stick to being the "indie" kid.

Of course I could be wrong...

Willing to bet most of the people saying its doomed aren't family gamers. Clearly the market is there for the stuff that's coming on the WiiU, and it probably wouldn't have been EA's cup of tea. It's interesting because as this place shows, a lot of people who got into console gaming when it hit its stride are now starting families. Of course there were older gamers then (and older still now), but there has to be a vast number who grew up with the NES/SNES/MD etc that still play things, but life has moved on in such a way that gaming priorities change a bit.

I will still love mine anyway. If it does die a premature death, who cares? If in the meantime we get the quality gaming and value from it then happy days, after all everyone loved the Dreamcast.

Just hope it's not nintendos last. But I don't think it will be :-)

Willing to bet most of the people saying its doomed aren't family gamers.

Both the Wii & Wii U address the family audience quite uniquely. The focus on local multiplayer is the key.

A couple of weeks back I visited ex-Rllmuker Toonfool who has about 30 kids & Grandkids. (well about 7) and the Wii U was the focus of their gaming and in constant use. I have 2 kids and it's similar in my house. The Wii U is the only console in the living room. The 360 & PS3 live in my office as only I bother with them.

Last gen there was talk of the Wii360. Or the 2 essential consoles.

A bit OT here, but I never understood this.

I have both a Wii and a 360, but I think a Wii and PS3 is/was far more preferable. The exclusives on the 360 are basically all space marine (cover) shooters. And the first consoles broke down after less than a year. The PS3 has exclusives like the Uncharted series, the Ico collection, and Ni no Kuni. Of course it also had the DualShock controller.

Maybe that's right. I think, a good 3D Mario, Zelda (old and new), Pikmin, Wii Fit, Mario Golf, XenoBlade RPG, Paper Mario RPG (ok wishful) will be enough to make the machine a must buy. Those are all on the horizon. Are you prepared to miss out on them? (Well I guess you are but..)

Its enough for fans, but is it enough for a sustainable business? Theyre selling this propriety hardware to effectively publish their own games on, and very little else. It's not that far removed from Activision releasing a COD box, which only plays all the COD games for a subscription or flat fee.*

*Actually not a bad idea.

A bit OT here, but I never understood this.

I have both a Wii and a 360, but I think a Wii and PS3 is/was far more preferable.

The phrase was coined when the PS3 had exactly "no games". At this point I think it's a lot more debatable. Personally I'd go with 360 but the PS3 certainly has plenty of quality exclusives.

The real issue is whether their similarity means only choosing one of them is a viable option and I think that is a stronger likelihood with the PS4/New Xbox.

Its enough for fans, but is it enough for a sustainable business?

That remains to be seen but their business has been sustainable for decades. They've consistently made more money than Sony & MS (in games). MS are still in the red (over all) and SONY blew all their PS1+PS2 money on the PS3. Nintendo have been quietly winning all along.

The wiiu is the only opportunity i get to play videogames with me 3 and 7 year old daughters.

Xbox and ps have practically nothing we can play together and especially so with xbox.

IANAP(arent)

Are you mental? The Wii U has about five games. The 360 has eight years worth of software to plough through.