Nintendo Wii U

deKay

IANAP(arent)

Are you mental? The Wii U has about five games. The 360 has eight years worth of software to plough through.

The SNES has a 500-600 software library. He could be playing that with the family too. Your point?

IANAP(arent)

Are you mental? The Wii U has about five games. The 360 has eight years worth of software to plough through.

The Wii U is already great for a family environment. Nintendoland is unbeatable if you have enough people (and controllers) in the same room.

That remains to be seen but their business has been sustainable for decades. They've consistently made more money than Sony & MS (in games). MS are still in the black (over all) and SONY blew all their PS1+PS2 money on the PS3. Nintendo have been quietly winning all along.

I think this is the one to catch them out, they'll never get the casuals back. Some people are loving their Wii U's, but theyre being introduced to familys by the type of core gamer who knows what it's all about. The actual Wii 1 buying people of 5 years ago are long gone as we all know. So projecting into the future...what possible game can come out on Wii U that captures the imagination of the public the way Wii Sports did. Nothing, not one possible thing. Zelda wont, 3d Mario wont, they'd do 3 to at most 6 million on Wii 1 with an established base. With no Wii sports to get this thing into homes....it wont happen.

They'll release a new Mario Kart, Fzero maybe, Pikmin, Metroid if we're lucky...a new Zelda based on the 25 year old template but with added Wii gamepad hold up to screen scanning, or something. They'll lick their wounds and survive but theyre becoming increasingly a dinosaur. That's not even bringing up their total lack of online expertise, account system and so on.

I think theyd have had a hit on their hands with "Wii 2", basically here's your new Wii everybody..casuals, core, everyone back on board...not quite as strong as a ps4 but it's only 150 quid. It plays Just Dance 5, and Mario Galaxy 3. Everyone's catered for! This experimental tablet has cost them millions.

I don't think Wii Sports is repeatable. Well I don't think it's likely they'll do that again.

I do think they'll assemble a bunch of brilliant games which will make their console essential for the likes of us and very popular amongst normal people.

They'll lick their wounds and survive but theyre becoming increasingly a dinosaur.

They make fortune after fortune. MS have yet to make a single penny* Sony have blown all the money they made. Why is it so hard to understand that Nintendo are the ones who've made the most money?

*Yes I know they are in profit on a yearly basis. But they haven't recouped their investment.

Angel nintendo already have two games over two million sold. Nintendo games sell well on nintendo machines. They'll shift copies no problem.

But even on the Wii, the SMG games posted dissapointing results considering the established base. All those tens of millions of Wii owners were buying Just Dance...SMG 1, 2 and Zelda didnt actually sell as well as you'd think. SMG did 10 mil, SMG2 did 6.5mil.....on a machine as ubiquitous as the Wii and your 2 main franchises...that's not so hot. The main Wii system seller was Wii tennis and bowling for about 2 years.....and then Wii Fit took over. Just Dance cleaned up the last few years.

I don't think Wii Sports is repeatable. Well I don't think it's likely they'll do that again.

I do think they'll assemble a bunch of brilliant game which will make their console essential for the likes of us and very popular amongst normal people.

I dont doubt their games are brilliant...but I dont even think it'll do as well as the Gamecube. When youre talking about serious, really serious trouble and discounting after what 7 months? I can guarantee that wont happen with PS4.

What are you drinking? They were smash hit games by any measure.

It's true that 2D Mario games do even better.

My point is the Wii base was utterly vast, but the main Nintendo classic franchises are selling to a smaller percentage of that than ever. They've sold 100 million Wii's worldwide. Skyward Sword did 3.5 mil sales worldwide. Just Dance 3 did twice that.

I dont doubt their games are brilliant...but I dont even think it'll do as well as the Gamecube. When youre talking about serious, really serious trouble and discounting after what 7 months? I can guarantee that wont happen with PS4.

You've lost me. Sony blew their cash. MS haven't made a bean. Nintendo have made billions and have posted 1 or 2 losing quarters (whilst launching a new console). Nintendo are a decade or more away from even possibly being 'in trouble'. Not that they'll let it get to that.

You've lost me. Sony blew their cash. MS haven't made a bean. Nintendo have made billions and have posted 1 or 2 losing quarters (whilst launching a new console). Nintendo are a decade or more away from even possibly being 'in trouble'. Not that they'll let it get to that.

I dont mean financial trouble, i mean purely the Wii U will be seen as old hat very quickly, with some reputation damage. I know they'll be fine and come back strong. I just mean they've ballsed up a home console for the first time since the VB.

They've sold 100 million Wii's worldwide. Skyward Sword did 3.5 mil sales worldwide. Just Dance 3 did twice that.

How is any of that a problem? Wii was proper mainstream which means a lot of people who buy the occasional game.

Hobbyists (us lot) buy many more games. We also buy Wii's.

How can any of this be a problem for Nintendo?

How is any of that a problem? Wii was proper mainstream which means a lot of people who buy the occasional game.

Hobbyists (us lot) buy many more games. We also buy Wii's.

How can any of this be a problem for Nintendo?

Because all of their established big hitter world beating franchises dont really go truly mass market now. Just about every Snes and n64 owner bought a copy of Mario World / 64. Way less of a % of Wii owners bought the equivalents. They still sell...but not as much. They need the next Wii Sports, simple pick up and play, fire the publics imagination. Like you say yourself its not gona happen. They've relegated themselves back to a core machine again, when they really thought they;d carry on where Wii 1 left off.

I think theyd have had a hit on their hands with "Wii 2", basically here's your new Wii everybody..casuals, core, everyone back on board...not quite as strong as a ps4 but it's only 150 quid. It plays Just Dance 5, and Mario Galaxy 3. Everyone's catered for! This experimental tablet has cost them millions.

You should at give people some credit, once they read up or ask about the Wii U they realise it is a 'Wii 2'.

You should at give people some credit, once they read up or ask about the Wii U they realise it is a 'Wii 2'.

This is pretty much their biggest and most obviously known misstep, people think it's a peripheral. It sounds like one. U-Draw. Wii U. The marketing didnt help either. That;s all been covered plenty of times.

Because all of their established big hitter world beating franchises dont really go truly mass market now. .

What were the SMG sales figures again?

There really is no point here other than the fact that Nintendo games don't appeal to much of the Halo crowd.

What were the SMG sales figures again?

There really is no point here other than the fact that Nintendo games don't appeal to much of the Halo crowd.

Theyre good in that theyre 10 mil and 6.5 mil....but my points are considering 100 mil Wii's sold to date, and most kids want COD now...they dont have the same cache or sales of SM64 or SMW...which just about every owner of those systems bought. Or in super brief terms, Nintendo are going niche again.

I dont mean financial trouble, i mean purely the Wii U will be seen as old hat very quickly, with some reputation damage. I know they'll be fine and come back strong. I just mean they've ballsed up a home console for the first time since the VB.

What do you imagine/want them to come back strong with? A beefy machine with a back to basics game pad, with third party exclusives coming out of its ears and all the usual Nintendo games reimagined and rejigged like Tim Burton's Willy Wonker or Planet of the Apes films?

What do you want angel? Tell me and I'll try my best to imagine it. :-X

Theyre good in that theyre 10 mil and 6.5 mil....but my points are considering 100 mil Wii's sold to date, and most kids want COD now...they dont have the same cache or sales of SM64 or SMW...which just about every owner of those systems bought. Or in super brief terms, Nintendo are going niche again.

So how does that indicate a problem? 16.5 million 3D Mario sales.

What do you imagine/want them to come back strong with? A beefy machine with a back to basics game pad, with third party exclusives coming out of its ears and all the usual Nintendo games reimagined and rejigged like Tim Burton's Willy Wonker or Planet of the Apes films?

What do you want angel? Tell me and I'll try my best to imagine it. :-X

Branded Wii 2, power comparable to slightly under gen 4 systems. No tablet, stick with pad and wiimote but with better tracking. Court 3rd parties like their life depended on it. Market it properly. Steady stream of quality games people want, Wii Sports HD, Metroid Prime 4, SMG 3, Fzero XX, etc

So how does that indicate a problem? 16.5 million 3D Mario sales.

Modern Warfare 2, a yearly franchise, sold 22 mil....Nintendos main franchises are not that level of mainstream anymore. Theyre going niche.

The trend is towards niche, theyre selling less and less. SMW sold 20 mil, SM64 12 mil, SMG 10 mil, SMG2 6.5 mil. Casuals are more into Wii Sports, core are more into COD. Mario is not the force it was as a franchise.

The SNES has a 500-600 software library. He could be playing that with the family too. Your point?

What? He said the 360 had "nothing they could play together" which is nonsense by any measure.

Oh God, I'm in the Wii U thread aren't I.

WszihBf.gif

Either way, if we don't get the new consoles for christmas I think the WiiU will have a massive boost. As a family console, rather than core or casual, as a Netflix youtube multiplayer games off pad under the living room telly box.

Potentially the worlds's biggest if there. Actually no, the biggest if is if they actual market it at all.