Nintendo Wii U

deKay

How is making a fortune a problem for Nintendo?

More people want to shoot people online than play colourful platformers. More money to COD = less to Nintendo. Their market is shrinking. Their big games sell less. Anyway i think its all been covered. They wont recapture the DS or Wii sales ever again, although theyll still profit as you say. Just not as much. And they really need to sort out their account system.

however, going on previous style, microsoft will drop the 360 dead once durango is released,

I'm not so sure MS will drop the 360 as quick as there still making money on it. Hopefully we'll know more about this in three days time.

I have tired of the whole "graphics arms race" and just want to play some fun games with some original ideas, which the wii u seems perfectly situated to provide. The other two will only likely stick to ports of the big "blockbusters" while the wii u can probably do ports of them and stick to being the "indie" kid.

Of course I could be wrong...

Of course there will be no fun software on ps4/next Xbox with no orginal ideas and only AAA blockbuster games with guns and no indie games what so ever.

I do love the shitey, simplistic narratives gamers on the internet come up with about the economic and leisure habits of millions of people, who are casually swept into a few buckets which determine their behaviour according to whoever's preconceptions.

Isn't it enough that games are amazing without there having to be a shitey narrative too?

What? He said the 360 had "nothing they could play together" which is nonsense by any measure.

Oh God, I'm in the Wii U thread aren't I.

Have you tried letting a 2 or 3 year old use a 360 controller?

Have you tried letting a 2 or 3 year old use a Wii U gamepad?

Night and day.

Sorry to change direction here, but am I the only one who thinks that Nintendo are putting 'E3 pre-release games' in the USA version of Curry's (Best Buy) is a great idea?

Also, I don't care of the Wii U sinks or swims. As long as I see 10 games in it's life that I really like, I'll be happy enough. I'd say most of us on Rllmuk will own a PS4/Xboxn at some point in the future anyway.

We're all winning here guys... This is what it means to be an adult and spend your money as you see fit.

While Wii U might and surely will survive on first party titles, it was explicitly stated at the E3 unveiling that this was not Nintendo's gameplan. The core gamer would be attracted, the Battlefield logo was displayed as a symbol of this.

In that sense the company has failed beyond all doubt. The question is, was it ever a viable plan in the first place? Not really, right back to when Reggie had no answer to Geoff Keighley's questions. It has to be for the best that they're dropping the E3 conferences where they're obliged to come up with such PR guff.

They've acted like amateurs with this console to date. It's time to let Miyamoto do the talking in the next Direct.

You know what would be hilarious?

If Nintendo bought EA outright (they have the money!) and used them to only make Pokemon spinoff games for the Wii U.

More people want to shoot people online than play colourful platformers. More money to COD = less to Nintendo. Their market is shrinking. Their big games sell less. Anyway i think its all been covered. They wont recapture the DS or Wii sales ever again, although theyll still profit as you say. Just not as much. And they really need to sort out their account system.

Amazing. But what about Mario Kart Wii? That sold about 30 million copies last time I checked. And it's online. By your crazy definition, more people want to race karts online than shoot people. Yeah, just checked, 33.71million sales for Mario Kart Wii.

Yeah, we're pretending as if Gamecube 2 - this time selling worse, is acceptable or a victory after the near 100 million sales of the Wii, when it's a huge failure that represents a huge loss of marketshare. And that's ignoring that the Gamecube sold half of its 50 million projected numbers and was a big disappointment to Nintendo, in the first place. I mean, keep quoting sales figures for Wii games all you want, but the best selling Wii U software just sold less than 1,000 copies in the UK, and there's nothing coming except some DLC until August.

They could probably survive off a small profitable console and the 3DS, but it'd be dooming them to irrelevance. Nintendo has realised its core audience isn't enough when it failed to reach even half its target with the Gamecube, since then it's been attempting to expand to new markets, everyone with the Wii, and gamers with the Wii U. They, or their investors, see this as crucial.

The Wii U is literally the worst selling console since maybe the 3DO or Virtual Boy, even the Dreamcast did better! That people can stick their head in the ground and pretend everything is rosy is mad.

Amazing. But what about Mario Kart Wii? That sold about 30 million copies last time I checked. And it's online. By your crazy definition, more people want to race karts online than shoot people. Yeah, just checked, 33.71million sales for Mario Kart Wii.

MK had a long tail though, the CODs are replaced year on year. I get your point and I did love MK Wii for quite a while until the luck factor in it eventually soured me. I still think Nintendo's market is shrinking, and they're not going about things the right way to appeal to everyone left. The proof is in the Wii U not selling, the games not selling, the discounting, it being dropped by EA, the whole shitstorm. If there wasn't a problem, we'd not be having this discussion.

I would still play MK wii if they patched out the cheaters and toned down the blue shell. Im not anti Nintendo, I absolutely love my 3ds xl.

nintendo recognise that their core strength is their games. That's why they aren't rushing them out. To have a couple of dodgy mario or zelda games out would be truly disarterous for them, so they would rather wait and make sure everything they produce is excellent.

As a consequence the wii u's success or failure is less important than the games being just right. And I think that's great for everyone.

However I think anyone pretending the wii u has arrived according to plan needs a reality check. It's what Nintendo do next that will be most interesting.

Branded Wii 2, power comparable to slightly under gen 4 systems. No tablet, stick with pad and wiimote but with better tracking. Court 3rd parties like their life depended on it. Market it properly. Steady stream of quality games people want, Wii Sports HD, Metroid Prime 4, SMG 3, Fzero XX, etc

Modern Warfare 2, a yearly franchise, sold 22 mil....Nintendos main franchises are not that level of mainstream anymore. Theyre going niche.

That console sounds rubbish.

Hey - at the bath meet we're going to use it as a USB charger for everyone's phone. See!

Anyway, they'll show the big games in a month and you'll all get foamy over them and buy it anyway.

Itll sell more than the GameCube,

I'm going for breakfast

Surely if at xmas the wiiu is £150 and the Ps4 and newbox are £400 then there is a massive potential for Nintendo to clear up in the family gaming market? Sure, they need a fair few more games, but cost will be a big factor and I think the take up of the new consoles from Sony and MS will be very slow, particularly as COD will be out on existing systems this xmas.

The WiiU has a good chance this xmas to shift big numbers and I think Nintendo are gearing up for a big push.