Nintendo Wii U

deKay

Nothing short of a big price cut and something like Wii Sports/Wii Fit can "save" it. If by "save" you mean "sell a lot of consoles", because I doubt it'd do too much to inspire major third parties to make more games, based on the Wii. They're going to throw all of their eggs in the PS4/360 basket now.

Not sequels to those games either, they're going to need something new.

Yea, I'm probably a bit too optimistic about how many Wii U consoles have been sold recently. 7 sounds more realistic. I think Scott said he will buy 21 just in case the two Wii U owners he happens to know anecdotally don't do as they're told.

The problem is the grannies and non gamers looked at the waggle and thought hey that looks fun. They look at the WiiU and think oh a tablet, only its shitter than the one I currently own and seems to have gone back to "complicated" joypad controls.

The problem is the grannies and non gamers looked at the waggle and thought hey that looks fun. They look at the WiiU and think oh a tablet, only its shitter than the one I currently own and seems to have gone back to "complicated" joypad controls.

Do we know this? Have we asked them? Have they told us?

I love this world we live in where everyone and their granny has a tablet. Such a marvellous place.

In regards to EA, what was the last big release they did for the Wii or Wii U that wasn't a late port or the like? I know they released Fifa usually but it was never a big seller was it. Did they actually provide any kind of huge support to the Wii?

I don't think everything is fine with the Wii U. Sales are way short of expectations. I think that's because a lot of games have slipped. When the games arrive the machine will sell.

Clearly they cocked up. They would have been better waiting till around now and launched with a few big hitters.

Which big hitters are available now then?

16.5 million people is niche.

Well I certainly learn something new each day.

I learned from Scottr that Bioshock Infinite is a niche game too and that's why it doesn't need to come to the Wii U. You learn a lot of interesting things from Nintendo threads.

Guys, I bloody love my Wii U. I'm one of these people who doesn't/didn't particularly see the point in a tablet, but the past week I've been hammering this bad boy pretty constantly. Get in from work, go upstairs and put something on Netflix, listen to it while getting changed, go downstairs while still watching it, head into the kitchen to make something to eat, then ping it onto the big screen to carry on watching while I eat. I'm living in the future!

I've never played a Monster Hunter game before but I'm slowly getting addicted to it. Being able to play it off-screen is perfect, happily sat there questing away while listening to something on the TV. The controls seem slightly awkward at the moment (why no Z-lock on?) but I'm slowly getting used to it. Rocking around with a massive hammer smashing little raptors in the side of the head and making them go flying. FEAR ME. Mario on the other hand... is err... Mario. Good job!

Pumped for Pikmin, and anything Nintendo throw at us after E3, but already quite happy with my purchase. I went with the basic unit from ASDA because my friend could get me discount, so it only came to about £135. Bargain!

I love this world we live in where everyone and their granny has a tablet. Such a marvellous place.

In regards to EA, what was the last big release they did for the Wii or Wii U that wasn't a late port or the like? I know they released Fifa usually but it was never a big seller was it. Did they actually provide any kind of huge support to the Wii?

Judge for yourself, though I'm expecting people to just conclude no ;)

2007Wii     The Godfather: Blackhand Edition     03/20/07     North AmericaWii     Medal of Honor: Vanguard     03/26/07     North AmericaWii     The Sims 2: Pets     06/22/07     EuropeWii     Boogie     08/07/07     North AmericaWii     EA Playground     10/22/07     North AmericaWii     The Sims 2: Castaway     10/23/07     North AmericaWii     The Simpsons Game     10/30/07     North AmericaWii     Smarty Pants     11/13/07     North AmericaWii     Medal of Honor Heroes 2     11/13/07     North America2008Wii     Ninja Reflex     03/04/08     North AmericaWii     Boom Blox     05/06/08     North AmericaWii     Saikyou Ginsei Shogi     05/27/08     JapanWii     Saikyou Ginsei Igo     06/24/08     JapanWii     NCAA Football 09 All-Play     07/15/08     North AmericaWii     Pop     07/29/08     JapanWii     Saikyou Ginsei Chess     08/05/08     JapanWii     Madden NFL 09 All-Play     08/12/08     North AmericaWii     Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 All-Play     08/26/08     North AmericaWii     Saikyou Ginsei Reversi     09/02/08     JapanWii     Saikyou Ginsei Reversi     09/02/08     North AmericaWii     SimCity Creator     09/22/08     North AmericaWii     Saikyou Ginsei Mahjong     10/07/08     JapanWii     Littlest Pet Shop     10/14/08     North AmericaWii     Boogie SuperStar (Microphone Bundle)     10/14/08     North AmericaWii     Monopoly     10/20/08     North AmericaWii     Ginsei Table Games Wii     10/23/08     JapanWii     Celebrity Sports Showdown     10/23/08     North AmericaWii     Nerf N-Strike     10/28/08     North AmericaWii     MySims Kingdom     10/28/08     North AmericaWii     Saikyou Ginsei Gomoku Narabe     11/04/08     JapanWii     Hasbro Family Game Night     11/11/08     North AmericaWii     Need for Speed Undercover     11/17/08     North AmericaWii     Skate It     11/19/08     North America2009Wii     SimAnimals     01/21/09     North AmericaWii     Detective Conan: Die Mirapolis-Ermittlung     01/30/09     EuropeWii     NASCAR Kart Racing     02/10/09     North AmericaWii     Trivial Pursuit     03/10/09     North AmericaWii     Need for Speed ProStreet (EA Best Hits)     03/12/09     JapanWii     Boom Blox Bash Party     05/19/09     North AmericaWii     Grand Slam Tennis     06/08/09     North AmericaWii     Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10     06/08/09     North AmericaWii     Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince     07/15/09     KoreaWii     G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra     08/04/09     North AmericaWii     Madden NFL 10     08/14/09     North AmericaWii     Dead Space: Extraction     09/29/09     North AmericaWii     MySims Agents     09/29/09     North AmericaWii     FIFA 10     10/02/09     North AmericaWii     Littlest Pet Shop: Friends     10/20/09     North AmericaWii     Charm Girls Club Pajama Party     10/20/09     North AmericaWii     Hasbro Family Game Night 2     10/26/09     North AmericaWii     Nerf N-Strike Elite     10/26/09     North AmericaWii     SimAnimals Africa     10/27/09     North AmericaWii     EA Sports Active More Workouts     11/19/09     North America2010Wii     2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa     04/27/10     North AmericaWii     Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11     06/08/10     North AmericaWii     Madden NFL 11     08/10/10     North AmericaWii     MySims SkyHeroes     09/28/10     North AmericaWii     FIFA Soccer 11     10/04/10     North AmericaWii     Nerf N-Strike Double Blast Bundle     10/26/10     North AmericaWii     Monopoly Streets     10/26/10     North AmericaWii     Hasbro Family Game Night 3     10/26/10     North AmericaWii     Hasbro Family Game Night 1 & 2 Bundle     11/09/10     North AmericaWii     MySims Collection     11/09/10     North AmericaWii     The Sims 3     11/15/10     North AmericaWii     Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit     11/16/10     North AmericaWii     Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1     11/16/10     North AmericaWii     EA Sports Active 2     11/19/10     Europe2011Wii     Rock Band: Country Track Pack 2     02/01/11     North AmericaWii     Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters     03/29/11     North AmericaWii     Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2     07/12/11     North AmericaWii     FIFA 12     09/29/11     North AmericaWii     Monopoly Collection     11/01/11     North AmericaWii     Trivial Pursuit: Bet You Know It     11/01/11     North AmericaWii     Family Game Night 4: The Game Show     11/01/11     North AmericaWii     Hasbro Family Game Night Fun Pack     11/01/11     North AmericaWii     Need for Speed: The Run     11/15/11     North America2012Wii     FIFA Soccer 13     09/25/12     North America 

WHAT I find disappointing in all this not EA, fuck those guys, they just want to make the same game for all platforms. They don't want a successful WiiU alongside the PS4 and XBOXs. That would fuck them up.

No, what I find disappointing is all this talk of indie games. How open it is, how easy it is to get your games on there and yet there's still pretty much none. Surely they should have ten a week?

And if that's all we get. Nintendo first party games, a load of great Indie stuff and the odd blockbuster from Ubisoft then I'll be quite happy. But the Indie games aren't coming thick and fast. I mean surely ones already available on other platforms could have been ported across by now. What's the story, morning glory, in Ballamory?

Lets all come back in February next year and see where we are.

Anecdotal evidence ahoy, but it's what I see. I have 7 and 9 year old boys, and they love the Wii U. Their friends are insanely jealous that they can't play Lego City Undercover, made even worse by the fact that they can play the 3DS City game, and hear of all the cool stuff in the Wii U game. Same, but to a lesser extent, with NSMB. WIth more stuff to come before christmas, the Wii U will rank highly on christmas present wish lists. To say, as some have said in this thread, that Nintendo only has the core gamers left and has lost the casuals to tablets is complete and utter tosh. My boys, and their friends, like the iOS games, but more to play if there is nothing else about. They are committed to their 3DSs, and love playing games on the TV. This is the market Nintendo will aim at for christmas, the same market that brought them the massive successes of the Wii.

So EA have taken their ball home. People taking that as the death knell for the WiiU is crazy. And when the WiiU has family friendly software, using familiar IP, at a lower price come christmas (there does need to be, and will be, an official price dop), the Wii U will sell. And lets see how EAs investors feel about the moves management has made recently then.

Don't get me wrong, Nintendo still has plenty of scope to screw this up, but I really don't think they will. They are playing the long term game while EA play the short game.

That is certainly one way to interpret what EA have chosen to do, the other is basically what the EA Sports bloke said, why go after a, at best few tens of Millions of units of potential family gamers which you hope will exist at some unspecified time in the future when an even bigger pool of such players exist on alternative platforms? There is only so much dev money and time to go around, they are placing their bets where they reckon the best ROI is.

Mn0wu8w.jpg

Low installed base, small devs have very limited resources, so every decision needs to be made with maximising return in mind. Porting to Mac or Android or iOS probably take precedence over Wii U.

Wasn't there an interview recently with an indie Dev who said that Nintendo wouldn't return their calls and were generally difficult to work with, despite being keen on their game. They went with Sony instead as they were bending over backwards to get them on board.

You know what would be hilarious?

If Nintendo bought EA outright (they have the money!) and used them to only make Pokemon spinoff games for the Wii U.

Considering the likely buyout price, the most amusing thing about that would be it would make the PlayStation 3 project seem like one of the biggest financial successes by comparison ;)

Throwing away near $10 Billion out of spite, sounds completely like a Japanese honour thing to do, I'm no expert tho :)

Edit: looking at their balance sheets, the market valuation of Nintendo and EA, once you strip out their cash piles, is amusingly surprisingly close, which says more about the relative market future outlook for both companies than anything else.

Nintendo is currently worth $16 Billion, EA is worth $6.7 Billion, strip out the cash piles, and it drops to $7 Billion Vs $5 Billion. Activison Blizzard is valued at $16.7 Billion, or $12 Billion sans cash pile.