Nintendo Wii U

deKay

Wasn't there an interview recently with an indie Dev who said that Nintendo wouldn't return their calls and were generally difficult to work with, despite being keen on their game. They went with Sony instead as they were bending over backwards to get them on board.

That was Avalanche Studios behind Just Cause 2, though I'm not sure they'd be considered an indie developer as the term is currently used.

There's been lots of indie developers saying good things about the Wii U and how Nintendo are helping them. Nintendo did stuff at GDC. Loads of Kickstarted games have Wii U versions.

I don't think a version of Terraria or Thomas Was Alone at this point are really worthwhile (despite how good I find those games). Late ports of indie games will still be as successful as late ports of AAA games.

Finished Runner2. It was pretty good towards the end but I'd have thought a game based around rhythm would have much better music. They had some cool layering things depending on the power-ups but the songs themselves were just nothing.

Also funny to see the huge drop-off in scores on my friend leaderboard after world 2. Think I was ready to stop around then but decided to power on.

Can we have a list of games you don't think matter to the Wii U's fortunes? So far we've had:

Anything made by EA (including FIFA and Madden)

Bioshock Infinite

The WWE franchise

It'll save everyone time in future.

Would you go so far as saying that the Wii U is better off without EA?

Probably not, no. The loss of any publisher is not a good thing for a console. However, from my perspective, I don't buy Nintendo consoles for EA games so for me, they're no loss.

Not sure what to play next. Could 100% Lego City but also have Darksiders 2 and Assassin's Creed 3. When's Resident Evil out?

I might wait until then before playing another big game. Maybe I'll start Super Metroid.

Can we have a list of games you don't think matter to the Wii U's fortunes?

ooh, I just thought of another one. Well two, actually - it depends on which one will get announced at E3 this year: Fallout 4 or Elder Scrolls VI. But I'm betting Fallout 4.

I know Nintendo do family friendly like no other company can, which is why the asymetric form of the gamepad based multiplayer seems like a mis-step to me. You get a few siblings fighting it out over some half-busted five year old third party wiimotes, while the chosen one sits up like Louis XIV on his throne with his la-de-dah gamepad.

Any of you with a multiplicity of sprogs find that to be a problem? I suppose you could assume your position as rightful head and master of the family and commandeer it exclusively for yourself.

Having said that, some of their Wii stuff was strange too. I swear NSMB Wii was expressly designed to cause siblings to come to blows.

The launch of the WiiU has been dreadful, which Nintendo can only blame themselves for but really, I don't get how you can bemoan a Nintendo console when things like Kart, Zelda, Mario 3D and Smash Bros haven't come out.

There's no hope that it would happen but if for example the 360 2/PS4 came out with no CoD/ Gears, Halo, Forza or Uncharted (or whatever would be considered an equivalent for PS3) would everyone go DOOMED and they should move to mobile?

It won't happen but jesus, in this world of 24 "news" and clickbait there's so much shit about this it's ridiculous. IIRC, apart from 'The Shovel Game' excitement, everyone was going on about how Wii was dying on it's arse and no one wants it, who's going to by a set of scales for their Wii blahblahblah.

If anything it shows that no one has a bloody clue as to what the public are going to do. Least of all Pachter.

I like the WiiU, I look forward to the new games coming out, it's a shame some devs don't seem to be developing for it but at least until Xmas, I'm going to get more play out of it than the 360/PS3 I imagine.

Although they should be actively throwing money at Rockstar for a port of GTAV at the moment, or I am cry.

NSMBU, the sequel to one of the Wii's biggest sellers, Lego and Monster Hunter as well.

I get that NSMBW sold like crazy, even outstripping the Galaxies, which is fucking mental, but how's this one doing on WiiU? I can't say I care for any of those titles enough to make me want to fork out for a WiiU though. They just seem so underwhelming. They're not exactly the CoDs, Halos, GTAs of this world, are they?

I just really hope they have a storming E3 (or whatever their little side conferences are) and show us a handful of truly killer games that are in development. I want them to do well, but they really need to stem this tide of bad vibes they're riding at the moment and the only way I can see them doing that is by reminding people they can be the best devs on the planet when they want to be.

Jon, on 18 May 2013 - 20:01, said:I get that NSMBW sold like crazy, even outstripping the Galaxies, which is fucking mental, but how's this one doing on WiiU? I can't say I care for any of those titles enough to make me want to fork out for a WiiU though. They just seem so underwhelming. They're not exactly the CoDs, Halos, GTAs of this world, are they?

VGChartz has it down for 1.82 million sold so far.

I know Nintendo do family friendly like no other company can, which is why the asymetric form of the gamepad based multiplayer seems like a mis-step to me. You get a few siblings fighting it out over some half-busted five year old third party wiimotes, while the chosen one sits up like Louis XIV on his throne with his la-de-dah gamepad.

Any of you with a multiplicity of sprogs find that to be a problem? I suppose you could assume your position as rightful head and master of the family and commandeer it exclusively for yourself.

Having said that, some of their Wii stuff was strange too. I swear NSMB Wii was expressly designed to cause siblings to come to blows.

It's been said before but this thread likes going in circles so here it is again.

The one with the GamePad, at least as far as NSMBU and NintendoLand goes, is the one with the least power and involvement in the game. Either you're putting platforms down (for the former) or you're having everyone hunting you (in the latter). Or they don't get to pretend they're using a sword and have to be the bow guy who mainly shoots pots.

None of the games so far have had any issue with the GamePad being the only worthwhile thing to use.

You do know that the vast vast majority of people don't actually know about these 'negative vibes'

Why isn't it selling then? Why do people still think it's an add-on for the Wii? Why are devs abandoning it then? Why are retailers shoving it into the dark corners of their stores?

Like I've said, I want it to do well, but Nintendo aren't really making it a welcoming prospect for anyone at the moment.

It's been said before but this thread likes going in circles so here it is again.

The one with the GamePad, at least as far as NSMBU and NintendoLand goes, is the one with the least power and involvement in the game. Either you're putting platforms down (for the former) or you're having everyone hunting you (in the latter). Or they don't get to pretend they're using a sword and have to be the bow guy who mainly shoots pots.

None of the games so far have had any issue with the GamePad being the only worthwhile thing to use.

You misunderstand slightly I think - I know that the gameplay mechanics are perfectly sound. I'm just wondering about whether who gets to use it causes friction amongst siblings. Christ knows it doesn't take much.

Obviously respectful adults like you or I will pass it around like Red Indians with a peace pipe, but this is a family console after all and it worries me that I will end up refereeing who gets the cool controller all the time to the point where I shove it in the cupboard and tell them it broke.