Nintendo Wii U

deKay

Decided against getting a PS4 this week and picked up a Wii U Mario/Luigi bundle instead. Not had much time with it yet, but so far I like it.

Don't worry - someone will be along soon to confirm that you're not actually having fun, that's not possible anymore since the PS4 and XBone are out and they instantly make everything on the Wii U obsolete. Mario 3D is last-gen and can't possibly hope to compete with Knack and Ryse. Also, millions of other people you don't know haven't bought one.

Sorry to be the one to break the bad news :(

What does the Wii U actually do in standby mode if you switch the option on, just download patches and that?

It downloads updates for games you have (though they will still only actually install the next time you boot the game in question), updates for the console, and also occasionally software is pushed to the machine if you have space (recently Wii Sports Club and Wii Karaoke U were pushed out automaticaly if you had the option enabled for example).

You know these new fangled headphone things that cost 9 million quid from turtle beach, do they generally work on the wii u?

(i would look but for reasons unknown the compatibility thingymebob wont load)

Most surround sound headphones use an optical output, which the Wii U doesn't have.

Don't worry - someone will be along soon to confirm that you're not actually having fun, that's not possible anymore since the PS4 and XBone are out and they instantly make everything on the Wii U obsolete. Mario 3D is last-gen and can't possibly hope to compete with Knack and Ryse. Also, millions of other people you don't know haven't bought one.

Well double dumbass on them, says I.

Not here! Not in this thread!

This is the thread of joy, happiness and lovely bright colours. Where gamers who smile while playing games come to!

The place where nobody complains about sequels and remakes! The place where resolutions and gigafloppys are never even discussed!

If you don't smile at the picture below you do not belong in this place!

http://www.technobuffalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Super-Mario-3D-World-61.jpg

the rumble is crazy loud, crazy crazy loud

It's the WiiU's worst feature by a mile. First thing I do with any new game is look for the "rumble off" option.

Can't understand why they left the feature enabled on the pad.. Either impliment it properly or don't bother at all.

Well, after cancelling my PS4 pre order last week, I've just ordered the Mario and Luigi premium pack which I'll pick up on Thursday along with the classic pro controller and NintendoLand . I'm going to trade some games in also and pick up Mario World 3D and Zelda The Wind Waker on Friday. 41 yrs old or not, i'm still :omg:

Thanks again guys for the advice, much appreciated.

Overall, who's disappointed with their Wii U? Even though I've been thoroughly distracted by my 3DS, I still love it.

I'm disappointed.

I've enjoyed using some of the features (the Netflix app has a decent user interface, and the web browser has been excellent - I don't own an iPad, so via the GamePad I can browse the web while sitting on my sofa, or display YouTube videos on my TV), but as a games machine, it's been terrible. I personally haven't been impressed by the selection of rehashes (NSMB U), ports of third-party I wasn't interested in on other formats and HD remakes (Wind Waker). Much as I've enjoyed Wind Waker, it doesn't alter the fact that for the first time ever with a Nintendo console, I feel that I own a dud. Super Mario 3D World might change my mind a bit towards the positive, if it's as good as the hype suggests, but one sparkly bauble doesn't make a Christmas tree, if you know what I'm saying. I feel a lot more pessimistic about the Wii U's future, artistically and commercially, than I did during the run-up to either the 3DS or Wii's first birthday.

I'm disappointed.

I've enjoyed using some of the features (the Netflix app has a decent user interface, and the web browser has been excellent - I don't own an iPad, so via the GamePad I can browse the web while sitting on my sofa, or display YouTube videos on my TV), but as a games machine, it's been terrible. I personally haven't been impressed by the selection of rehashes (NSMB U), ports of third-party I wasn't interested in on other formats and HD remakes (Wind Waker). Much as I've enjoyed Wind Waker, it doesn't alter the fact that for the first time ever with a Nintendo console, I feel that I own a dud. Super Mario 3D World might change my mind a bit towards the positive, if it's as good as the hype suggests, but one sparkly bauble doesn't make a Christmas tree, if you know what I'm saying. I feel a lot more pessimistic about the Wii U's future, artistically and commercially, than I did during the run-up to either the 3DS or Wii's first birthday.

Even though my children have a Wii, I really haven't played a Nintendo console properly since the Gamecube and before that the SNES. Don't know if it's my age but I'm tired and bored of the same old stuff coming out on consoles (had a 360 and still have a PS3 which I enjoy) and so ready to join the Nintendo club again :D .

Yes, there are some original fantastic games on other consoles but they are in the minority.

I'm not that daft to think that the Wii U will be jam packed of great original games but what it will give me is games that are different to what I've been playing and just plain fun. I'm fully expecting not playing more than 6 games on the Wii U over the next year and if I do it will be a bonus. Because of reduced gaming time, I personally don't mind and there will still be to many U games for me to play.

is it a dissapointment? well ive had mine for 2 weeks, ive only played it for 10 hours (mainly mario u).

However.. it's not like i was expecting to be playing it all the time. I only really got it for the nintendo games, so i'm not that fussed in the wait between.

The miiverse stuff doesn't seem that great personally, the OS seems a bit amateur but again i wasn't expecting much. I'm enjoying mario u, it's a decent follow up to mario world and i know i am going to love mario 3d world. I might pick some 3rd party stuff up, but i'm not fussed. I never intended it to be a main console or anything..

All i wish is that i could stream pc games to the gamepad and play.. how awesome would that be.

I'm disappointed.

Did you buy the Wonderful 101?

Contemplated Pikmin 3, but I didn't really enjoy the first two Pikmin games, so I can't see the point in playing another game in a series that I don't like all that much, particularly as it is more of the same. I'm sure it's good fun for Pikmin fans, however, but I'm not one of them.

Played the demo of Wonderful 101, and ten minutes of that put me off the game forever, to be honest.

Played the demo of Wonderful 101, and ten minutes of that put me off the game forever, to be honest.

Yes. it throws you into the deep end with no explanation. If you're not willing to dig deep you will get nothing from it.

The full game is a lot more introductory. Just read the thread to see how much people gush over it.