Nintendo Wii U

deKay

I don't think the Wii U big sellers do actually stack up against the 360/PS3 big hitters, you know.

Not your GTAS/CODS/FIFAS numbers wise but i meant more look at the install base and numbers as ratio of but even then if you look into your uncharted's, MGS system exclusives and it pretty close numbers wise.

So the Wii U is quickly starting to become a very good choice when it comes to making my first next-gen console purchase.

I mean, just look at all these games (from the top of my head):

• Mario Kart 8
  • Smash U
  • Wind Waker HD
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
  • Xenoblade 2
  • WF 101
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Pikmin 3
  • Sonic Lost World
  • ZombiU
  • Metroid Prime 4 (will obviously be announced at this year's E3)

I have about 35 NGC games and 13 Wii games. My Wii U's library will probably end up sitting somewhere between those numbers which is more than enough to warrant a buy. Can't wait!

The list contains 6 sequels to games which we've all played too many times already, 3 games which are yet to be released, one game which is just a re-release of a ten year old game, one game which hasn't even been announced and fuckin' sonic.

For a two year old console it really is a pitiful list of 'must haves'.

The WiiU is selling as bad as the Jaguar mainly because its selection of games and release schedule are as bad as the Jaguars.

Nintendo are so overwhelmed by the development of HD games that they are struggling to get simple sequels to mario kart and smash bros released. At this rate WiiU owners will be unlikely to see something ambitious like a new Zelda HD this side of 2016. There will be few things to play until then because Nintendo have fucked off most of the third parties and the rest of them don't want to develop for a console which has sold like ten units or something.

NIntendo should just kill off the WiiU now, learn from their mistakes which there are plenty (so a few years of self reflection would be needed to cover it all) and just concentrate on their handhelds for the next few years.

The list contains 6 sequels to games which we've all played too many times already, 3 games which are yet to be released, one game which is just a re-release of a ten year old game, one game which hasn't even been announced and fuckin' sonic.

The WiiU is selling as bad as the Jaguar mainly because its selection of games and release schedule are as bad as the Jaguars.

Nintendo are so overwhelmed by the development of HD games that they are struggling to get simple sequels to mario kart and smash bros released. At this rate WiiU owners will be unlikely to see something ambitious like a new Zelda HD this side of 2016. There will be few things to play until then because Nintendo have fucked off most of the third parties and the rest of them don't want to develop for a console which has sold like ten units or something.

NIntendo should just kill off the WiiU now, learn from their mistakes which there are plenty (so a few years of self reflection would be needed to cover it all) and just concentrate on their handhelds for the next few years.

There's so much wrong here, man. If the gaming scene wasn't half full of sequels and spin offs then maybe you'd have a point but seeing as most big games are franchises, I'm not sure what your argument is. If you're a fan of indie games, then you can't argue with the fact that you're well catered for on the PC, PS4 and yes, Wii U. As for 'simple sequels', you make it sound like they're dead easy to make and that there's only been one proper competitor to either title (Sonic All Stars Racing) shows that maybe you might be wrong?

How is throwing in the towel supposed to help Nintendo? If they're overwhelmed by HD development then the answer is to push on, not give up. They lack the expertise and experience that other developers and publishers have transitioning, quitting now is going to make it worse in the future. And let's face it, third parties are hardly doing amazingly well on the other platforms either, are they? If it wasn't for the resurgence of PC gaming, I'm not entirely sure where we'd be in terms of gaming. If anything, indie games are the answer, not trying to chase down an ever shrinking number of large devs.

The Atari Jaguar sold less than 250,000 units. The WiiU is now at about 6 million. A terrible comparison. Also if you think mario kart or smash brothers are "Simple sequels" then you really have no idea how long it takes to make games. There is nothing simple about either mario kart or Smash brothers. Nintendo don;t operate like other companies when it comes to sequels. They polish everything to a crazy degree. I thank god they aren't like DICE who just throw out buggy as fuck products.

Think of this. What game will sell the most copies through the summer? Mario Kart will. It will shift 3 million copies. It will also help sell WiiU's, especially if there is a price cut just in time. Bundled copy of mario kart with a wiiu at 200 quid? Sounds a nice deal for new owners.

I'm quite certain "£100 bundled with mario kart" would shift more than just "a few units".

It probably wouldn't turn any fortune around however, likely more the opposite, considering they'd be selling at a big loss.

I want them to soldier on with the WiiU. I love it. I love the gamepad when my wife watches some shit on TV. I love the games which are packed dense with content. I want them to stick with it and learn their business mistakes with it. If they dump it two years in I'd likely think twice about immediately jumping in with both feet again in the future.

So the Wii U is quickly starting to become a very good choice when it comes to making my first next-gen console purchase.

I mean, just look at all these games (from the top of my head):

• Mario Kart 8
  • Smash U
  • Wind Waker HD
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
  • Xenoblade 2
  • WF 101
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Pikmin 3
  • Sonic Lost World
  • ZombiU
  • Metroid Prime 4 (will obviously be announced at this year's E3)

I have about 35 NGC games and 13 Wii games. My Wii U's library will probably end up sitting somewhere between those numbers which is more than enough to warrant a buy. Can't wait!

I count about 1,000 hours worth of content there. It may be sensible to pick one up sooner rather than later so that you can tick off the likes of SM3DW, ZombiU etc. before the top two on your list hit. I already had a back-log before my wife bought me Monster Hunter a couple of weeks back...

As for 'simple sequels', you make it sound like they're dead easy to make and that there's only been one proper competitor to either title (Sonic All Stars Racing) shows that maybe you might be wrong?

This sounds alarmingly close to you saying that we don't see more kart racers because they're difficult to make. Difficult to sell is more the issue, surely? Sonic Transformed did OK but it was very good and I preferred it massively to the last few Mario Karts I've played which don't seem to have evolved much with what they offer in terms of structure especially for 1 player. Someone else mentioned there's generally little to do bar on that front bar complete each cup at each CC level, and I'll be interested to see if they've gone beyond that this time but I'd be surprised if they've bothered. Hopefully the time trial side of it is well done enough to be compelling.

mate no one is going to pay £200 for an under powered console with no games getting released on it.

Try £100 bundled with mario kart and they may shift a few units but no where enough to save the WiiU's fortunes

Underpowered - i love this turn of phrase that has no meaning, everything is underpowered, the wii u is under powered comared to the xbone is under powered compared to the ps4 thats underpowered compared to that pc over there thats underpowered to that slightly better powered pc over there ad infinitum.

The wii u still has some of the best looking next gen games that also play fantastically well and as the owner of a PS4 i havent seen anything that looks as good and together as mario worlds and kart, sure there is some soulless shite like shadowfall that looks amazing for 10 mins until you realise its an awful game with terrible art direction - reminds me of PDZ on 360 launch.

199 bundled with Mario Kart is a cracking deal, £100 looks desperate and could finish the console as a going concern with retailers and publishers (lol)

aunch.

199 bundled with Mario Kart is a cracking deal, £100 looks desperate and could finish the console as a going concern with retailers and publishers (lol)

Is "looking desperate" a thing?

I reckon a £100 Mario Kart bundle would be amazing if it's remotely possible financially (I doubt it).

Who *wouldn't* buy that?

Underpowered - i love this turn of phrase that has no meaning, everything is underpowered, the wii u is under powered comared to the xbone is under powered compared to the ps4 thats underpowered compared to that pc over there thats underpowered to that slightly better powered pc over there ad infinitum.

It means lots of things. It means that none of the multiplatform games currently in development for PS4/Bone will be ported over to the Wii U, it means that none of the game engines used to drive new games will be ported over to the Wii U, it means that even if a developer wants to develop a Wii U exclusive title, they can't use any of the modern tooling or engines they'll use in their regular workflow. And all this adds to the Wii U's biggest problem: a barren release schedule with pretty much non-existent third party support.

£229 with MK and a download code for SMK and a Pro Controller. Winner.

I'm surprised Nintendo have yet to push Wii Sports Club at retail. A £199 pack with Wiimote, Nunchuck and codes for Golf and Bowling (to entice people to paying for Tennis) would push sales and invite eShop interest surely?

Is "looking desperate" a thing?

I reckon a £100 Mario Kart bundle would be amazing if it's remotely possible financially (I doubt it).

Who *wouldn't* buy that?

I think that's why it looks desperate - we already know it would be losing huge amounts of money at that price point hence it looking desperate - much like MS with the titanfall bundle price drop, desperate reaction to the pounding they are taking from the PS4 at the moment.

If it was a viable price point then of course it would be lapped up but still not in numbers enough to 'save' the machine you would suspect.

What is interesting is that (and of course its been out a year longer) the xbone hasnt passed the wii u sales yet and at estimated sales figures doesnt look like it's going to any time soon, while in the long run it's inevitable a bump at the end of may with MK8 sales could widen the gap and no one would have predicted that in December.

I'm surprised Nintendo have yet to push Wii Sports Club at retail. A £199 pack with Wiimote, Nunchuck and codes for Golf and Bowling (to entice people to paying for Tennis) would push sales and invite eShop interest surely?

Who are they going to sell it too? The people who already own a now dust covered Wii they bought for Wii Sports which they got for free 5 years ago?

Who are they going to sell it too? The people who already own a now dust covered Wii they bought for Wii Sports which they got for free 5 years ago?

Exactly those people! Same as Ocarina sold the 3DS to all the N64 owners, same as a new Mario Kart is selling it to Mario Kart fans.

In all seriousness it's an option. Slap Wii Sports Club (sounds like a new version) on the box and it's more interesting to dusty Wii owners than a standard Wii U box is.

Despite everyone banging on about this stuff, the Wii had a pretty decent attach rate. Only a bit less than the other consoles which I think makes sense. The mass market non-gamer types didn't buy as many games as the hobbyists but they did buy several games.

The Wii U isn't going to be saved. It's fucked and Nintendo knows it. All we can hope for is that they'll throw us a bone often enough to keep us from packing it away, but frankly I think it has already peaked with the release of Super Mario 3D World.

I really want to argue. But I think you're right.

As a racer I'd say it was excellent, nailing a powerslide through the apexes while maintaining and extending a massive boost charge was a pretty spectacular adrenaline rush at times.

Failed to mention I suck at it. No, it's a solid racer and it's jam packed with content. I just find it difficult... The drifting isn't as satisfying as Mario Kart or Outrun.

You'd have to be completely mental to think otherwise though - you could count the retail games coming out this year on one hand, and that's being kind and assuming even those will come out. Doesn't bother me though, I'm just starting on NSMBU as it is!

Speaking of which, I still don't get how the Miiverse works in games. I see messages from others on the map (just got that bit), but how do I put my own messages down? And when I see messages put up when I die on a level or something, how are they getting there and how do I contribute to that? I've had a few goes trying to work it out on this and other games and not really managed it. It's a bit of a disaster on Bowling in general, where I see the same three fucking messages from my "club" all the sodding time so I fancy adding some variety.

You'd have to be completely mental to think otherwise though - you could count the retail games coming out this year on one hand, and that's being kind and assuming even those will come out. Doesn't bother me though, I'm just starting on NSMBU as it is!

I might be a bit mental then. ;-P I personally feel I've got 100's of hours gaming left in the games I've bought since getting the machine for Xmas.

Were Dreamcast owners as similarly deluded as myself? Am I getting a dose of the 'Amiga is dead' type shenanigans that Digitiser foisted onto the poor Amiga hardcore back in the day?

The WiiU has had it's chance at retail even though I'm still happy I've got one and I've got a lot of great games. It reminds me a great deal of the situations that the Cube and Dreamcast found themselves in and I remember many similar arguments when people were convinced the release of a particular game would revive the console sales and "save" the console. They never did.

I bought both Cube and DC at launch and was constantly convinced they would eventually thrive. I'm not falling for the delusion this time I'm just going to enjoy the games that do come out until the WiiU goes the same way. :( *sniff*