Nintendo Wii U

deKay

You know those moments when you suddenly remember that Nintendo are actually incredible? Well...

My 10 month old son has been introduced to Mario today. He seemed to like him, but wasn't that bothered. He laughed a lot at the level in 3D world where the Dinosaur goes down the water slide and that was nice. But just now I had a moment that genuinely blew my mind.

So I'm playing while the wife was asleep on the sofa and Harry was watching when suddenly he wandered over to find out what the hell the game pad was. I picked him up, sat him on my lap and started the next level. It was one with loads of rotating platforms. Suddenly I saw a secret area and was just judging how to deal with the platform to access it when a finger popped up on the screen and stopped the platform from turning. I looked down and it was Harry touching the screen making it easier for me.

Now I'm not suggesting he knew why he was doing, but even the idea of a game where a 10 month old baby can genuinely help you out is incredible. And when he's old enough to understand a bit but not actually control the game, having him on my lap helping me out is an option.

Fuck. It really was a fantastic moment and a reminder that this lot know what they're doing.

That's wonderful. Honestly, I've never played a thing like it. I have a pile of near 200 360 games and a PS4 on the way for christmas, but there's nothing I want to play more than Smash or NSMBU or Lego City or MK8 or Monster Hunter or Tropical Freeze or Wind Waker or Pikmin 3 or any number of real 10/10 experiences. It's bloody brilliant and I will not stop singing it's praises to everyone who even hints at an interest in it.

I agree. Yes, a was being a bit flippant saying it was a new Zelda game, but frankly, if this *was* the next Zelda game I'd not be disappointed.

How great would it be to see the combat from Hyrule Warriors make its way into Zelda WiiU?

Just dug my Wii out of the cupboard with a view to completing Zelda Skyward Sword. And playing through Mario Galaxies. There is something magical about Nintendo games as you say so many great little touches and pick up and play game play. Think I might end up getting a WiiU when the next Zelda makes an appearance. Just hoping I don't get frustrated at the waggle controls of Skyward Sword again as I think this is what stopped me finishing it off last time despite sinking 52+ hours into it.... LOL

I hated Nintendo for the last 10 years because of waggle controls. No matter how good the games were I could never get on with the controls. I am so pleased to say that the Wii U even with the standard pad is a full on return to proper control in games. That's what Nintendo were missing. I don't begrudge them entirely their 10 year experiment in casual gaming and waggle controls. I'm sure they learnt something from it. But fuck me, it's good to have the Gamecube 2 back.

Well I'm holding out until the next new full traditional Zelda game gets released.

Something about the WiiU has had me holding off for some reason. Normally I'm all over Nintys consoles when they get released. Still have all of the consoles going back to the NES.

Something hasn't really grabbed me about the U... not yet. Although have played a demo pod many times whilst in places like game and it always brings a smile to my face when messing with it. Just worried that the novelty factor will wear off quickly once I get it home...

Will have to do some more investigation into it and where Ninety are going. Meanwhile I'm dragging my Wii out tonight and firing it up with both some cube titles and trying to figure out where I got to in Zelda SS. :D

One thing that has always been said about Nintendo games is how childish and cartoony they are but from my experience they are some the most innovative and fun games out there. Just very feel good games that transport you to places that are colourful and where you enjoy playing in and are so accessible.

Roll on 2015. Looking forward to see what Nintendo do next. Meanwhile I'll be revisiting some of their back catalogue to remind me of what got me into console gaming in the first place....

The novelty doesn't wear off in my experience. I also feared that Nintendo market themselves too keenly on novelty features these days but what they've regained are the hardcore mechanics without the fucking bullshit of modern gaming. I literally play my Wii U every day, for 30 minutes at least. I sit and look at the games and the hardest thing is working out which beauty to play next.

Must evangelise more! I'm currently making a hobby indie game with a bunch of talent folks and I'm suddenly trying to convince them to make it Wii U first. Not sure how well that will come across on Kickstarter but we'll see..

Something hasn't really grabbed me about the U... not yet. Although have played a demo pod many times whilst in places like game and it always brings a smile to my face when messing with it. Just worried that the novelty factor will wear off quickly once I get it home...

What novelty factor? The gamepad or something? There's nothing "novelty" like about the games and how they play.

The full game. It's a bit pants.

Oh. I disliked it for a while but then grew to like it. On 3ds that is. Obviously everyone has different tastes, though.

I don't begrudge them entirely their 10 year experiment in casual gaming and waggle controls.

what was that, 2006-2016? ;)

Really? The controls are pretty unresponsive, even with aiming set to "very fast". I'm currently somehow in a mansion on a boat, with no guns, dodging some not quite as good as the Regenerators.

It feels incredibly last gen to me.

It's a 3DS game. What exactly were you expecting?

I didn't know, or at least I only vaguely wondered, if it was the same as the 3DS game.

The main problem I have, aside from being thrown into the shoes of a different character's shoes every 5 minutes, is the awful, awful aiming controls. They seem to have given the right analogue stick a massive dead zone. It might as well be on a d-pad.

It's passing the time I guess, but boy am I glad I didn't buy it full price. Or worse, buy a 3DS for it!

Yep. Not just me after all.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-resident-evil-revelations-face-off

Resident Evil: Revelations - performance analysis

Compared to the recent HD Resident Evil games with their more complex environments and the sheer number of enemies on-screen, the smaller and more restrictive locations on offer in Revelations should allow for Capcom to better maintain a smoother frame-rate when the engine is under stress compared to today's graphically more demanding titles.

On the whole that is certainly the case in the HD edition of the game. For the most part we see a steady 30FPS across the 360 and PS3, with frame-rates only briefly dropping down to the mid-twenties during large boss battles that feature a larger number of enemies in screen. We see some small dips down to the high twenties on the PS3 from time to time, but this never stands out to us outside of like-for-like comparisons.

On the other hand, the Wii U version appears to be visibly less refined in this area, with small but frequent fluctuations in smoothness adding some noticeable stutter to the experience. Furthermore, frame-rates are hit harder when the engine is under load and this has a larger impact on the controls compared to on the 360 and PS3. Aiming and moving around in general feels heavier and less responsive in the Wii U - there appears to a much larger dead-zone that creates a delay between moving the analogue sticks and the action appearing on screen. Comparatively, we had no issues with button presses, so the way the controls have been programmed to the sticks seems to the the issue.

Also...

the 3DS version offers up a more fluid gameplay experience than the Wii U version - a state of affairs that defies belief.

I wish Smash Brothers had a demo. I've never played any of them and I don't generally buy beat em ups but....Nintendo.

Realistically 99% of the time I'd only have one other person for local multiplayer. Still, the nintendo stages/characters/music etc are appealing enough to me that I'm probably going to buy it in the very near future. I hope I like it :)

I wish Smash Brothers had a demo. I've never played any of them and I don't generally buy beat em ups but....Nintendo.

Realistically 99% of the time I'd only have one other person for local multiplayer. Still, the nintendo stages/characters/music etc are appealing enough to me that I'm probably going to buy it in the very near future. I hope I like it :)

There's a demo for the 3DS version.