Nintendo Wii U

I have a version of Tank! Tank! Tank! that I downloaded and never played. Is this a F2P version?

Yes, the base game is a free download. You then buy DLC in the form of single player campaigns and multiplayer maps. From what I recall we've spent US$10-20 on some maps and a campaign, and it's more than enough for me and the kids.

Think we'll get new ideas at E3 this year? Or just Animal Crossing Wii U and Star Fox.

I'd definitely want Miyamoto's giants wrestling game thing turned into a full product. The robots hide and seek thing...not as much.

I think Miyamoto does Tower Defence could be excellent. The robot thing just looked shit to me. I doubt much new. I think we'll see full details of Starfox and Zelda. I'm also hoping for Metroid Wii U, but clearly they are saving that for NX. Did someone say a team is working on another 3D Mario game?

They've already said there won't be Wii U Zelda at this years E3 I think. I hope there's something that excites me, I am in the minority admitedly but have generally not found a lot of pleasure from the Wii U (though I don't regret buying it just yet.)

Wasn't trying to be a dick question, though of course some (alas) will be happy no matter what Nintendo show. It's just one of those years that could truly be interesting with most of the big franchises done with and the console a good few years old now.

Of course my expectations aren't high, but like the examples I mentioned above a few more new Splatoon-like surprises wouldn't go amiss. They just might do it.

It's also frustrating and not very good.

Never got frustrated (i love platform puzzlers so found it overly easy /didn't build on it's basics) but yea, aside from its aesthetic /documentaries... Not very good...

Never got frustrated (i love platform puzzlers so found it overly easy /didn't build on it's basics) but yea, aside from its aesthetic /documentaries... Not very good...

Have you played Stealth Inc. 2 on the WiiU? Nobody seems to talk about it but it's an excellent Metroidvania with platform puzzling.

Think we'll get new ideas at E3 this year? Or just Animal Crossing Wii U and Star Fox.

I'd definitely want Miyamoto's giants wrestling game thing turned into a full product. The robots hide and seek thing...not as much.

I can't see anything NX related being shown this year, there's still at least 18 months left of the Wii U and it would be suicide to talk about "future" stuff that's years away.

There will be more details on the stuff that's slated for this year - Star Fox, Mario Maker etc but I'd be surprised if Retro wasn't working on something for the Wii U. It's been a while since DK so they must be up to something.

If also expect to see a game that's been specifically designed for Amiibos, so far it's more geared towards DLC. Smash Bros proved the concept worked (without too much risk), so I can see something coming out focused on the true potential of the technology. Maybe it's Animal Crossing, maybe its something completely new, but Nintendo are making a load of money from Amiibos so I'd expect them to push that further.

They might also show their new health platform and technology, although it might be irrelevant for the games industry!

So, when I plug this sucker in (the new WiiU) this weekend, am I likely to be in for a system update? And how big do these usually weigh in at?

The first one takes forever, I think due to a bug which was patched in a later update. Stick your latest game in and try starting it - it'll probably install a more recent update off the disc, which will get you over the initial hump.

There will be more details on the stuff that's slated for this year - Star Fox

Slated for this year? Or is this destined for release in the same way you put Zelda and Xenoblade down as examples of the jam-packed 2014 release schedule?

I can see the Amiibo game being Nintendo Land 2, with new amiibos unlocking new attractions/games.

Then you've got Star Fox, Mario Maker, Xenoblade, Shin Megami x Fire Emblem, etc.

Virtual Console/eShop titles (more N64, DS games available after the presentation)

More news about the Club Nintendo successor, proper account systems

Wave 6/7 of amiibos, and restocks of older waves (and the cards, but I reckon they'll be 3DS-focused)

Probably some DLC talk for Smash and Splatoon

And, I'm hoping for:

a HD Remaster (I'd be happy with something like Sunshine or Galaxy 1&2 HD)

More Kart- Either the rumoured Diddy Kong Racing 2 or DLC Packs 3&4 for Mario Kart

Have you played Stealth Inc. 2 on the WiiU? Nobody seems to talk about it but it's an excellent Metroidvania with platform puzzling.

Oh cool - i did look into it briefly, but will look into it more/may take a punt thanks to your recommendation.

Hmm. Are the pro controllers worth it? I'm not overly bothered about getting one - the regular game pad is fine mostly. I feel like I just want one because I've got the vouchers to spend.

I've yet to play Wind Waker Waker, Lego City and Pikmin - can anyone tell me whether those games make use of the pad as a map/item screen, or is the pad just left blank completely, like in Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong?

Only buy official.

Could be worse, PS4 pad is about 50 quid, 40 if you get lucky!

Only if you don't shop around. I got both the Magma Red and Blue (whatever they call it) for £35 each. Gamestop frequently have them for that. They're out of stock now but the Black is £36.47.

Hmm. Are the pro controllers worth it? I'm not overly bothered about getting one - the regular game pad is fine mostly. I feel like I just want one because I've got the vouchers to spend.

I've yet to play Wind Waker Waker, Lego City and Pikmin - can anyone tell me whether those games make use of the pad as a map/item screen, or is the pad just left blank completely, like in Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong?

Wind waker and pikmin you need the second screen for the best playing experience not sure about Lego City as I've not played that.

I got some Amazon vouchers for my birthday and am thinking about picking up a pro controller. £36 for the official one seems a bit steep, however. Any opinions on official vs 3rd party pro controllers?

I've just gone with the official one from Amazon. Tried going cheap on eBay and ended up with a fake, which surprised me - I thought the Wii U was doing too badly to be worth counterfeiting.

I've gone for it as I don't find the big game pad that's comfortable, but if you're fine with the big pad then the official High Capacity Battery replacement might be a better bet - it's £25, I think.

I understand the hipster way to play Pikmin 3 is with Wiimote & Nunchuck, with the Wii U pad on a stand in front of you, solely acting as a map.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm still slightly torn. Looking at my 'to play' pile I've got some games that make good use of the gamepad, meaning I wouldn't use the pro controller to play them anyway, but I've also got a few games that require a bit more precision, like Smash Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. I found that intensive sessions on Bayonetta 2 and Donkey Kong would leave my A button thumb severely dented, playing on the gamepad, but I was still able to complete both games. I'm not that bothered about the high capacity battery because the few times the gamepad has run out on me while I've been playing I've just plugged it in and kept on going.