IGNORED

Nintendo Wii U

deKay

It's a nice machine but I didn't have mine for too long. I felt like the games were quite kiddy and expensive for what they were, there were too many types of controllers and there weren't really enough games I actually wanted.

Mario Kart, the 2D multiplayer Mario (can't remember the name) and Sonic Lost World are all really fun though :)

It's a nice machine but I didn't have mine for too long. I felt like the games were quite kiddy and expensive for what they were, there were too many types of controllers and there weren't really enough games I actually wanted.

Mario Kart, the 2D multiplayer Mario (can't remember the name) and Sonic Lost World are all really fun though :)

Opinions are invalid.

Horses for courses. The only reason I haven't sold mine is Smash Bros multiplayer, and the thought that I might play Hyrule Warriors or Bayonetta again, and would quite like to try TW101 someday. And because it makes a good Wii game playing machine, and will likely replace my Wii as a Gamecube player one day.

I really don't understand these people who sell consoles. I haven't played on my PSP or 360 or Wii in ages, but I'm not selling them. Even if I'm never, ever, going to play them again.

Yep, money and space - there's only so much space under my TV, and it's pretty rammed. If I want a new console, something's going to have to go, and currently the Wii U and Saturn are competing for 'least played' status.

You don't understand why someone would want some money as an alternative to owning something they're never going to make use of ever again, and potentially in their case never otherwise even look at, remove from the loft or whatever. Right.

Well, understand is perhaps the wrong word. I can't comprehend how people can do that unless they're desperate for the money.

Well, understand is perhaps the wrong word. I can't comprehend how people can do that unless they're desperate for the money.

I sold my Dreamcast recently, it's been in its box unused for quite some time, years even. It was in great condition, and I only had Chu Chu Rocket, Sonic Adventure and NFL2k1 left and so rather than have it in the box to never use again I'd rather someone else was getting some enjoyment from it. And I got my sixty quid or whatever. If you're never ever going to play on it again and have nothing else to gain from keeping it then why not let someone else do so, it doesn't have to be about needing money.

edit: It's far less likely I'll ever get rid of my current machines as I'll always (well, maybe) have games for them given the amount of digital downloads on there unless another way of playing them crops up - which is why the Wii went when I got the Wii U for one.

Each gen, I wonder if I should just stop buying new shit, set-up all my old consoles, and just play through my pile o' shame plus all the great old games.

Like deKay, I never get rid of an old machine. Still have my 48K speccy and ST as well, should anything still play on those. I'm hoping to dust off the DC, GC and PS2 and get them set up; I have a bunch of old games (like Disgaea) to play through. And a big ol' pile of shame on the Wii, 360 and PS3.

And I'm getting old - I probably have sufficient hours' worth of unfinished/replayable games to see me through to senility. Which may have star

What was I saying?

That's more about wearing out through (over)use though, isn't it? Rather than falling apart despite being stored.

Or does the rubber in the key membrane perish over time like the drive belts? (incidentally I now realise I was thinking of the ZX Spectrum +2 with its built-in tape drive, rather than the 48K).

For me my "play every day" games are Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors and... Pikmin 3 (my 5 year old son loves it, we've completed it twice now).

But I think the point is that there's enough games across different genres with shit load of content and are fairly "open" in gameplay (Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors,Smash Bros, Monster Hunter, Mario Kart etc). That there's at least one game for everyone who likes a Limahl like "Never Ending Story"

They compliment the games like Mario 3D World, Zelda, Bayonetta which you want to complete, but you won't go back and start over again.

With upcoming games like Super Mario Maker and Xenoblade, it looks like Nintendo see this as a big part of their library....

They compliment the games like Mario 3D World, Zelda, Bayonetta which you want to complete, but you won't go back and start over again.

I'm sure some people would disagree with that one. Games like Bayonetta have replay value because they are ideal for people who treat games as an exercise in challenging and pushing ones skill level, okay there is an end to Bayonetta if you 100% it on the hardest difficultly and then get the highest possible scoeres and times on all stages but even getting there is a long hard journey, longer than most. Of course like you said this model works better with more "open" games (which is why people will never stop playing fighting games).

There is a word for this type of gameplay but I forgot what it was.

Sin and punishment, the N64 one, has just been released on the WiiU VC. I just downloaded it and played a few stages.

Pros: controls are fully customisable, unlike the Wii VC version.

Cons: Seems a bit dark on my WiiU screen? Haven't tried on the TV yet.