rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
davejm

Mass Effect Andromeda

Just now, mdn2 said:

I'm sorry. :(

It's okay...I'm only slightly disappointed.

20 hours ago, Dudley said:

I continue to not understand what makes Andromeda any different to the trilogy other than irrational dislike for new characters.

I never read this thread and have just got back into playing this again (just left Eos to see what's going down at the Nexus) and I think it's good and fits with the style of previous games. I like the whole 'finding a home' mission, too.

What did people have problems with? I know the texture pop-in isn't great but the actual gameplay is as Mass Effect as it ever was (in a good way), from what I can tell?

5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I never read this thread and have just got back into playing this again (just left Eos to see what's going down at the Nexus) and I think it's good and fits with the style of previous games. I like the whole 'finding a home' mission, too.

What did people have problems with? I know the texture pop-in isn't great but the actual gameplay is as Mass Effect as it ever was (in a good way), from what I can tell?

Oh, people just like to go mental at things for not much good reason really. It's definitely the case that Andromeda was rushed in a whole lot of ways, but it's got the best combat of all the Mass Effects by a huge margin, and it actually tells a really interesting tale if people bother to take a bit of time to get into it. 

But it doesn't have Mr Shepard, nor does it have Reapers, so folks lose their shit over it all the time.

I love it - I find the whole premise of the mystery surrounding the new galaxy absorbing as hell, and despite some admittedly awful animations and other odd bits and bobs, it's great fun. The ending sequences are on a par with anything the other games threw at you as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Oh, people just like to go mental at things for not much good reason really. It's definitely the case that Andromeda was rushed in a whole lot of ways, but it's got the best combat of all the Mass Effects by a huge margin, and it actually tells a really interesting tale if people bother to take a bit of time to get into it. 

But it doesn't have Mr Shepard, nor does it have Reapers, so folks lose their shit over it all the time.

I love it - I find the whole premise of the mystery surrounding the new galaxy absorbing as hell, and despite some admittedly awful animations and other odd bits and bobs, it's great fun. The ending sequences are on a par with anything the other games threw at you as far as I'm concerned.

It doesn’t have reapers, but it does have a race of aliens who repurpose sentient beings into mindless drones for their army oh wait that’s reapers lmao

Strangely just earlier this week I was pining for the original trilogy and even considered getting the Mass Effect art book to scratch the itch.

However I never played this when it came out and I have just seen it in the MS spring sale for just over £5 so thinking I may give it a whirl.

6 hours ago, Gabe said:

To be fair, I hear it was a bit of a buggy mess on launch, which would sour people.

It was released about 6 months too early, if they'd held it up it would have had a much better reception, I loved it and have played through it at least 3 times. 

Yeah I maintain it’s a great game, and certainly plays a darn side better than say the first game from a modern perspective. The combat is really dammed good.

It’s far from perfect, the plot whilst decent is weak compared to the preceding 3 games. There are too many busy work MMO style mini quests which add little to the proceedings. Whilst it does have a decent cast of characters, they lack the depth of the crew of the Normandy. 

It’s a B team Mass Effect basically. Rather similar to Arkham Origins in some ways; a good game that suffers from the weight of its title.

On 04/04/2020 at 16:44, Dudley said:

I continue to not understand what makes Andromeda any different to the trilogy other than irrational dislike for new characters.

Witcher 3 wasn't released back then.

14 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

Witcher 3 wasn't released back then.

I may have missed your point but it was, the Witcher 3 is two years older than Mass Effect Andromeda.

Andromeda was disappointing, but after a dodgy start it was still highly enjoyable in a "it's more Mass Effect" way. It's not like there's anything else quite like it.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

I may have missed your point but it was, the Witcher 3 is two years older than Mass Effect Andromeda.

That was my point. When Andromeda came out it was compared to the Witcher 3, which is so superlative it's not even funny. It is not only irrational dislike about new characters, the game was very bad in writing, story and characterization, plus full of technical issues. These problems didn't show so much before Witcher 3.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

The Witcher series has always had pretty rubbish combat though and isn't even in the same universe (;)) as ME:A in that respect.

21 minutes ago, Gabe said:

The Witcher series has always had pretty rubbish combat though and isn't even in the same universe (;)) as ME:A in that respect.

Hehe, yeah. But after W3's release it was much more difficult to accept its flaws.

Fortunately for me, I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, despite owning it for years, so to me this is still good.

I think Witcher 3 is the best game ever, but the combat loops in Andromeda are considerably more fun.

I lost interest in this series* long before Andromeda. I loved the pure RPG-ness of Mass Effect 1 and its fantastic atmosphere. The combat was improved in 2, but at the cost of becoming more of an action game. I always wanted more Mass Effect 1, but so far the closest has been The Outer Worlds (which sadly got wonky towards the end).

*but not in reading the related threads!

Edit: I have bought Andromeda however because it's regularly less than 5 euros in various sales. Haven't installed it yet :lol:

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I lost interest in this series* long before Andromeda. I loved the pure RPG-ness of Mass Effect 1 and its fantastic atmosphere. The combat was improved in 2, but at the cost of becoming more of an action game. I always wanted more Mass Effect 1, but so far the closest has been The Outer Worlds (which sadly got wonky towards the end).

*but not in reading the related threads!

Edit: I have bought Andromeda however because it's regularly less than 5 euros in various sales. Haven't installed it yet :lol:

Don't do it. It's fucking awful ;) 

On 05/04/2020 at 11:58, JoeK said:

I think that's the exact opposite of the problem, isn't it?

People were expecting them to build a new Galaxy and new races and new moral conflicts and everything, and in the end they created a grand total of one, and everything else was reheated nostalgia - there's the Reapers but not really, there's your new Shephard and EDI, and all the moral conflicts disappeared (super baffling in a game that's actually about colonialism) for magic terraforming.

Also the writing took a big dive in quality. Admittedly those are both also problems that crept into the main series near the end, but they were it at it's worst, not at it's best.

Most of the people who liked it seemed to do so because of that nostalgia, so saying the lack of it made people hate it, uh???

22 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Don't do it. It's fucking awful ;) 

Now I kinda want to play it

9 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Now I kinda want to play it

It's fucking brilliant!

39 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I think that's the exact opposite of the problem, isn't it?

People were expecting them to build a new Galaxy and new races and new moral conflicts and everything, and in the end they created a grand total of one, and everything else was reheated nostalgia - there's the Reapers but not really, there's your new Shephard and EDI, and all the moral conflicts disappeared (super baffling in a game that's actually about colonialism) for magic terraforming.

Also the writing took a big dive in quality. Admittedly those are both also problems that crept into the main series near the end, but they were it at it's worst, not at it's best.

Most of the people who liked it seemed to do so because of that nostalgia, so saying the lack of it made people hate it, uh???

I don't necessarily think the buying public have much of an idea exactly what it is they want before it happens quite honestly ;) . I had absolutely no real clue what I was going to get with Andromeda - I'd not particularly read huge amounts about it, but obviously I knew that they were going to a new place and that there'd be new stuff there. Did I think we weren't going to have a whole lot of the races that had been developed in the previous games? Of course not, but I just wanted to be involved with another fairly epic sci-fi tale and hope that there was still a certain amount of Bioware that I liked before. And for me at least there was more than enough. 

Of course, Bioware went and spunked any good will I had for them with Anthem, but there we go.

31 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I don't necessarily think the buying public have much of an idea exactly what it is they want before it happens quite honestly ;) . I had absolutely no real clue what I was going to get with Andromeda - I'd not particularly read huge amounts about it, but obviously I knew that they were going to a new place and that there'd be new stuff there. Did I think we weren't going to have a whole lot of the races that had been developed in the previous games? Of course not, but I just wanted to be involved with another fairly epic sci-fi tale and hope that there was still a certain amount of Bioware that I liked before. And for me at least there was more than enough. 

Of course, Bioware went and spunked any good will I had for them with Anthem, but there we go.

I really hope we get a remake of the original trilogy that changes important parts of the story, much like the FFVII remake. Then you can have your wish of another fairly epic sci fi tale with characters you already love. Win Win.

:ph34r:

44 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

I really hope we get a remake of the original trilogy that changes important parts of the story, much like the FFVII remake. Then you can have your wish of another fairly epic sci fi tale with characters you already love. Win Win.

:ph34r:

I never loved anyone from FFVII. They were all winging arseholes and terrible stereotypes ;) . 

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

I never loved anyone from FFVII. They were all winging arseholes and terrible stereotypes ;) . 

They still are. :P

3 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

That was my point. When Andromeda came out it was compared to the Witcher 3, which is so superlative it's not even funny. It is not only irrational dislike about new characters, the game was very bad in writing, story and characterization, plus full of technical issues. These problems didn't show so much before Witcher 3.

Gotcha, although tbh I struggled to get into Witcher 3 just because I don't really get on with either melee combat or historical fantasy settings.  Even from the 10 hours or so I did play though I see what you mean.

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

Fortunately for me, I haven't played Witcher 3 yet, despite owning it for years, so to me this is still good.

I tried recently after watching the series but I just can't get into it. I find it incredibly hard to give a shit about these people and there was too much busywork going on for me to properly want to engage with it, it felt like a chore. I ended up re-playing Horizon: Zero Dawn again instead and had about a thousand times more fun.

17 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

I tried recently after watching the series but I just can't get into it. I find it incredibly hard to give a shit about these people and there was too much busywork going on for me to properly want to engage with it, it felt like a chore. I ended up re-playing Horizon: Zero Dawn again instead and had about a thousand times more fun.

I found the second game a bit of a chore at times (I left it a couple of times for quite a while before going back) and that was a shorter game, so who knows how long 3 will take me to finish?

On 05/04/2020 at 12:48, Gabe said:

I played it years after release and its obvious that its a Mass Effect game in name only.