Mass Effect Andromeda

davejm

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

This game is a joke on the PS4 Pro. I'm stuck at the door to the research area of the tempetst, waiting for it to load in. It's not loading. I'm just stuck. It's the same at Peebee's quarters. This has clearly been coded for the PC first and foremost, then copied and pasted to the consoles with zero effort to optimise. 

Fucking joke. 

Surely PS4 would have been the lead platform. Are PC folk not running into issues? 

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

This game is a joke on the PS4 Pro. I'm stuck at the door to the research area of the tempetst, waiting for it to load in. It's not loading. I'm just stuck. It's the same at Peebee's quarters. This has clearly been coded for the PC first and foremost, then copied and pasted to the consoles with zero effort to optimise. 

Fucking joke. 

I've just had something similar on PC. My latest 3 auto saves wouldn't load, presumably something odd to do with the area and save state I was in at that point.  Luckily the next one was OK.

4 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Don't think so. The issue I had there was clearly a memory issue. Going back to the main menu and reloading fixed it. But I shouldn't have to do that. I've also noticed bad texture pop-in, just like in Mass Effect 1. <_<

I've had the door loading issue on PC.

No major PC issues for me, thankfully. Slightly stuttering when a new area loads up (or just after you load a save game), but I'm guessing that's just a part of the level generation going on.

It does very much feel like it's a game made first for PC and then made to run on the consoles though - which is very unusual this day and age. 

I wholeheartedly approve ;)

Yep, to join the chorus I've also had the door loading thing on pc. 

Also had three complete freezes in two nights, after none at all in the previous 50 hours. One after dying (think I get that one: an instant death from full health which triggered my biotic auto shield boost as I died), one on accessing a strike team award, one on the map screen after scanning a planet. 

5 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Yeah, going back to the main menu and reloading in fixed it for me. 

@Wiper Thankfully I've had no freezes on PS4.

I'm still envious of one thing you PC users have that console owners don't: properly animated enemies & creatures at distance. The stuttery motion of them on the consoles really ruins the immersion, I mean it really kills it dead. 

I can't even properly imagine what that looks like. Does it play on a video? Do you have that recorded?

here's one for THS: the levelling system and assigning abilities and playing about with builds here kicks the shit out of anything in witcher 3, even after they patched it with expansions. 

giphy.gif

Single player campaign finished with just over 70 hours on the clock.  Overall I really enjoyed it but it has a host of flaws, some (well quite a few) technical and some design wise but it has, in a lot of ways, that ME1 adventure/exploration spirit I loved so much that I felt was missing in ME2/3.  I love crafting weapons/armours etc with different augmentations, generally experimenting and enjoying the RPG systems in general.  I'd probably give it a 7/10, the multiplayer is another very strong point and is a lot of fun though I've been kind of neglecting it a bit until I've finished the single player.  I'll write up more later but for me, despite it's issues, I enjoyed my time with it quite a bit.  I especially love its more light hearted tone in comparison to the original 3 games as well.

Kadara seems to be fully done. Really enjoyed it but the pay off is a little unsatisfying because of it's shallowness

Reyes being the Charlaten was obvious early on - but I enjoyed the entire arc, and got to be flirty/funny/banter with him. Liked the roof scene as well.

But then the end seems to come down to a binary "do you let him assinate Sloane" choice. I'd have let him kill her one on one - but not in a set up like that (well that's what my instincts told me with the interupt).

There didn't seem to be any other way to resolve that situation - and I get a short goodbye e-mail from him. No chance to talk/explain.

My crew don't mention anything at all  - despite my flirty crush being gone. They were teasing during missions about him.

Lack of narrative "pay off" or "fall out" put a real downer on the whole arc

8 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Kadara seems to be fully done. Really enjoyed it but the pay off is a little unsatisfying because of it's shallowness

Reveal hidden contents

Reyes being the Charlaten was obvious early on - but I enjoyed the entire arc, and got to be flirty/funny/banter with him. Liked the roof scene as well.

But then the end seems to come down to a binary "do you let him assinate Sloane" choice. I'd have let him kill her one on one - but not in a set up like that (well that's what my instincts told me with the interupt).

There didn't seem to be any other way to resolve that situation - and I get a short goodbye e-mail from him. No chance to talk/explain.

My crew don't mention anything at all  - despite my flirty crush being gone. They were teasing during missions about him.

Lack of narrative "pay off" or "fall out" put a real downer on the whole arc

You're far nicer than me

I didn't like Sloane, at all, and seeing her being taken out like that was hilarious.  No way was I interrupting that fight.  Then a few one liners later with Reyes and we're all good

:D 

they seem to have gone back to ME1 for most of their inspiration. for better and for worse. for instance what the flying fuck is going on with checkpointing. we are talking PS2 levels of checkpointing and saving. this is a problem that is resolved in game design is it not? I fear this is what happen when you are made to build an open world RPG with a shooter engine. 

15 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

The score nowhere near lives up to the original 3, I can spot a Mass Effect tune in seconds, I wouldn't have a clue with this. 

The music (or more specifically the lack of it) is a major let down in this, but then it's all been downhill since M4 pt2 by Faunts rolled over the end credits of the original Mass Effect.

12 hours ago, mr_woo said:

Single player campaign finished with just over 70 hours on the clock.  Overall I really enjoyed it but it has a host of flaws, some (well quite a few) technical and some design wise but it has, in a lot of ways, that ME1 adventure/exploration spirit I loved so much that I felt was missing in ME2/3.  I love crafting weapons/armours etc with different augmentations, generally experimenting and enjoying the RPG systems in general.  I'd probably give it a 7/10, the multiplayer is another very strong point and is a lot of fun though I've been kind of neglecting it a bit until I've finished the single player.  I'll write up more later but for me, despite it's issues, I enjoyed my time with it quite a bit.  I especially love its more light hearted tone in comparison to the original 3 games as well.

Are there any meaningful story choices, multiple branches, different endings, etc?

I'm a way from finishing, but the game seems to be structured similarly to previous Mass Effects: occasional clear 'big' choices to make which will likely feed into the way the ending pans out, but no massive distinct branches - certainly no Witcher 2 style altering of tens of hours of content based on your choices, just changes to the way certain events and conversations will pan out, and presumably a bit of a different flavour to whatever the ending is.

29 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Are there any meaningful story choices, multiple branches, different endings, etc?

I do hope we get to choose a colour for the explotion in the end! 

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

47 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I'm a way from finishing, but the game seems to be structured similarly to previous Mass Effects: occasional clear 'big' choices to make which will likely feed into the way the ending pans out, but no massive distinct branches - certainly no Witcher 2 style altering of tens of hours of content based on your choices, just changes to the way certain events and conversations will pan out, and presumably a bit of a different flavour to whatever the ending is.

I really don't want to spoil anything but it's essentially what Wiper says above.  It seems to especially affect

who helps you during the final mission and some of the scenes throughout the game and how they play out.  The final mission is really good, I thought it was a great way to end the game  .  I wouldn't say there's any big branches or massive changes though.

Digital Foundry: Why PC is the best place to play Mass Effect Andromeda

... Mass Effect Andromeda: the Digital Foundry verdict

While visual upgrades are sparse, the impressive resolution boost and consistent pixel count across all areas of the game make PlayStation 4 Pro the best way to play the game on consoles, whether you're playing on a 4K or full HD screen. While the increased resolution doesn't quite match a full-on ultra HD, image quality comes reasonably close to a native presentation and provides more clarity and sharpness over playing the game at 1080p. There's also no performance penalty here.

That said, the experience is still very respectable across PS4 and Xbox One, with Sony's machine having an edge in terms of image quality and a slight improvement in terms of frame-rates - but not to any degree likely to affect the gameplay experience. Mass Effect Andromeda is the first Frostbite-powered game to deliver a full HDR presentation - something you can enjoy on the PC, PS4, Pro and Xbox One S, provided you have the right display hardware. We should expect to see HDR rolled out on all future titles using the DICE engine, and we're fascinated to see how the engine will scale up on Microsoft's upcoming Scorpio console.

But in the here and now, the Frostbite engine continues to flex its muscles on PC to great effect. Battlefield 1 reached its heights on this platform and perhaps predictably, Mass Effect Andromeda follows suit. You can't power past the inherent limitations of the game's visual design (covered to excess over the last couple of weeks), but the combination of the PC's built-in scalability, combined with the extra visual features makes this the preferred way to play the game.

21 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I actually think this game will flow better on a second playthrough, whereby you'll know when to hit the big missions.  I'm finding myself getting distracted by loads of side stuff. 

I can agree with this. I'm not really far in, but already I'm finding myself pursuing the side quests more because I don't want to plough through the main story, be done with it and then do the mop up. 

Just witnessed some breathtaking scenery while doing Vetra's loyalty mission.

A barren and partly destroyed moon, with Turian ark floating in the sky above. It looked stunning as I was driving along in Mako V2. Proper Mass Effect moment.

Then I got locked in the cargo bay because the door was stuck loading. :facepalm: 

Inconsistent and flawed but ultimately still very enjoyable.

That's how I would overall describe my time spent with Mass Effect Andromeda.

Pros

1.  Planet Exploration and the Nomad - This is something I've sorely missed since ME1 and for me it brings back that sense of grandeur and adventure I've felt was missing from ME2/ME3.  I love driving about the planet surfaces, getting into firefights, looting random locations and just generally taking in the atmosphere of the locations.  I like how they all offer something different as well in terms of weather be it snow, tropical, desert etc (I guess you could say that's a standard template for varying locations).  A lot of folks find driving over just sand, snow etc boring but I love that.  Just taking in the planet and pottering around.

2.  Combat - The best the Mass Effect series has ever been for my money.  I loooooove the combat in this and the jet pack/biotics boosting is such a joy I can't help but love zipping around the battlefield like a madman

3. RPG systems (crafting etc) - I'm one of those mad bastards that enjoyed the RPG aspects of ME1 and all of its inventory sorting so I enjoyed the hell out of this too.  Crafting new weapons and armour with augmentations is something I genuinely enjoyed doing a lot and experimenting/messing about.

4.  Graphics - It's a very pretty game and again one of the reasons why I enjoy pottering around the planets so much.  Get yourself onto a nice hill overlooking an area and it can look very nice

5.  Main crew (except for Liam) - At the start I wasn't sure what to make of the cast.  I was desperately missing my boy Garrus and wasn't sure if any of the cast would live up to him.  None of them do but Drack comes VERY close to it.  I love that grumpy old grandpa Krogan.  Drack and Jaal became my go to characters.  As the game progressed I warmed up to the cast overall a lot more over the course of the game.  Some of the dialogue between them is great and genuinely made me laugh and start to warm to the characters more.  I guess it's a case of your mileage might vary, I ended up liking the cast a lot but from reviews obviously others didn't feel the same way.

6.  Male Ryder - Only reason I'm specifying male Ryder here is because I've not played as female Ryder yet.  I loved Ryder, with my style of always being a smartarse and the constant one liners I couldn't help but smile whatever situation I got myself into.  He's essentially the antithesis of Commander Shepherd and it leads to a generally lighter tone in comparison to the original ME trilogy.  This is something I loved, for example I loved Bad Company due to its Kellys Heroes lighter natured vibe as well.  In a way it kind of surprised me as with the story the way it is I was expecting something more serious (and I guess you can answer more straight laced/professional if you want) but I'm glad it is the way it is.  Not Nolan North did a great job IMO.

7.  Loyalty missions - Genuinely enjoyed all of these, they aren't up there with the best in the ME trilogy but they're still a cut above a lot of the other missions in the game.

8.  Main story - It's doesn't compare to ME1s story but I enjoyed more so than ME2s main story.  There's nothing really here you haven't seen before, no huge surprises, but I won't lie - being a smartarse to the big bad is never not entertaining.  I enjoyed the Loyalty Missions more but I thought the final story mission was a blast and really well done, far more polished than anything else in the game.

9.  Multiplayer - I think this is a big plus, especially if you like the combat.  It's really good fun and can be quite manic.  I had only played a bit of ME3s multi but this seems even faster and chaotic.

Cons

1.  Bugs and glitches and clearly unfinished - This is a very big negatiive.  ME:A is one of the buggiest games I've played in ages, like far more buggy than any of those creaky eurojank RPGs I love so much.  So many things going wrong - enemies standing still so you can just shoot them, monsters coming at me with no animations, having to change the FOV back to normal so as you can scan something to get past a part in the game (eg Peebees loyalty mission), randomly hearing bits of dialogue to events that haven't even happened, when using a controller your character is stuck running and you can't scan anything until you restart the game, having characters start to speak and then just randomly stop/get cut off for no reason and countless others.  I can forgive things like this in janky eurorpgs, to an extent, but I honestly don't expect to see these things in a AAA game released by EA in this day and age.  I was lucky that I never had anything game breaking but there's plenty of evidence to support this with folks getting stuck at quests, not being able to continue some etc.

2.  Inconsistent writing - I don't think it's terribly written overall but it is very inconsistent.  Sometimes you'll just roll your eyes at something that's been said and go 'for fuck sake' and sometimes you'll just laugh at it.  Other times I thought it was quite decent and genuinely enjoyed it.  For example I quite liked most of the dialogue between the crew and Ryders one liners as well as finding the emails to be genuinely hilarious at times.  Other times you'd be talking to characters on the planets and rolling your eyes into the back of your fuckin head.

3.  Animations - It's been done to death mockery wise but it still stands that yes some of the animations can be fucking dreadful.  I've had times where Ryder is looking about during a cutscene like a fucking madman who's about to bring out his axe and all kinds of sloppiness from mouth animations, eye animations etc not looking right.  

4.  Transitions - I'm sorry but as cool as it is I don't need to see me travelling in the first person every. fucking. time. when going between planets.  I got used to it but after the 50th time you'll get fed up with it.  Yes Bioware it's a cool thing but give me a skip button please ?  Especially for quests that go between multiple planets, the number of times I had to watch a landing video or a takeoff video and then watch the transitions of flying between planets.  

5.  Scanning - Is still shit.  It wasn't particularly fun in ME2, it wasn't particularly fun in ME3 and it's not particularly fun here either.  Now thankfully you can bypass a lot of it as you can buy minerals etc from vendors and unlock Nexus perks to buy them all but it still stands I don't find it a very fun activity to do.  Of course being a plum, I still did 100% in every planet in Heleus :hat:

6.  Music - The music in this is barely noticeable and what's there isn't particularly memorable either.  For me ME1 had the best soundtrack with ME2/3 not being as good but here it's barely noticeable at all.

Those are just some of the random thoughts going on in my head, I apologise for some of it being badly written (like ME:A eh eh.....i'll get my coat) but I'll blame that on it being a lazy sunday afternoon :P