Mass Effect Andromeda

davejm

I have to say, one of the surprises for me is hearing how many people think the combat is better here than ME2/3. Yes, the new dash and jetpack are great but not being able to control my squadmates powers is sorely missing. It doesn't help that they always seem a little lost and run around like headless chickens during every fight. But then that's more of an AI issue I guess...

9 minutes ago, mr_woo said:

3. RPG systems (crafting etc) - I'm one of those mad bastards that enjoyed the RPG aspects of ME1 and all of its inventory sorting so I enjoyed the hell out of this too.  Crafting new weapons and armour with augmentations is something I genuinely enjoyed doing a lot and experimenting/messing about.

:hug:

Just now, Gambit said:

I have to say, one of the surprises for me is hearing how many people think the combat is better here than ME2/3. Yes, the new dash and jetpack are great but not being able to control my squadmates powers is sorely missing. It doesn't help that they always seem a little lost and run around like headless chickens during every fight. But then that's more of an AI issue I guess...

Probably depends on the player style.  If you like to micromanage your squad and have them move about, use specific powers etc I guess that this system would be a step down but I've always let them do their own thing in every ME game I've played so I guess with something you don't use you can't miss it really.

3 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I was on the mind that combat is clearly better here as well. but AI is a big issue both in terms of companions and enemy AI. therefore, however cool the combat is, it becomes boring after a while given how similar all enemies behave and really how uninteresting their behaviour is. in that regard potentially a step back from 2 and 3. I need to play more and will report back later. 

Just finished. 62 hours and 85% completed. The planets could be shrunk down a quarter and you wouldn't lose anything and some sort of quest filter system (other than the additional quests one here) so you can choose to leave the filler stuff and the game would be the better for it. A few bugs but they've not even dropped their first patch yet (W3 was bugged to shit at launch before it gets used as a stick to beat ME:A) and some of the animation is laughable (lets drink without opening our mouths :lol: ) but I loved the fuck out of the game and I really hope they drop some DLC, especially at what is hinted with in the post game bit.

Woo's list is a good one but Drack is the best companion in a ME game and the loyalty missions are better than previous games (I just find Drack's utterly hilarious as he's a lunatic). And the last mission is all sorts of amazing and classic ME.

A very, very solid 8 and nearing 9 for me. Only the flabby bits and bugs (quite a few reloads needed for quest progression) stop it from being a 9.

The hammer launches stuff into the air, whether they've got shield or not. I've lost count of the amount of Kett and Outlaws I've bounced into the great unknown off platforms and stuff. Plus, the sword is really unreliable to hit thanks to the blink strike effect.

You're right, there is no contest ;)

so I am fighting a cardenal. I hit the orb for 10 minutes. finally his shield is down. and in 2 seconds the orb is back. I am literally running out of bullets. the mission until then was not hard. is this broken? if so I might put this game down. this has annoyed the shit out of me. 

Think you may be doing something wrong Oz. The little circling thing, wait until it's in front of him while he's charging up his super slow orb of death move and shoot the shit out of it with a SMG or assault rifle. You should have it down in two passes.

I also found when the shield is down that biotic attacks like push work great on him because they delay him putting the shield back up. If you time it correctly you should be able to shoot the shit out of his face when he's unprotected, and when he starts doing the hand-wavy shield thing, hit him with push or throw (make sure he's primed with something first) to disrupt him and you'll get another chance to shoot him in the chops.

1 hour ago, Scruff said:

Think you may be doing something wrong Oz. The little circling thing, wait until it's in front of him while he's charging up his super slow orb of death move and shoot the shit out of it with a SMG or assault rifle. You should have it down in two passes.

I also found when the shield is down that biotic attacks like push work great on him because they delay him putting the shield back up. If you time it correctly you should be able to shoot the shit out of his face when he's unprotected, and when he starts doing the hand-wavy shield thing, hit him with push or throw (make sure he's primed with something first) to disrupt him and you'll get another chance to shoot him in the chops.

thanks. the advice did help in terms of unleashing before the big bubble attack. I was under-levelled or something as it still took ages. but also, on my first run it was glitching for some reason. and the shield would come up immediately after. the result is that I also got good at the fight so it was easy once it was working 'properly'. I am annoyed with bits of this game. really annoyed. it is a shame because I want to love it.  

Just now, Captain LeChuck said:

If there's one thing this game excels at, it's making that difficult. ;)

Yeh man. They fucked this up. I am slowly coming to the realisation. I hate myself for feeling this way. It is just so terribly unpolished. Everything is half working. Combat is still good though. I am liking the story but it is literally the same story so I am liking it again I guess.

Also there is so much game. But also so little. Mass effect OG was buggy and weird in spots but it was doing so many new things and there was so much good lore. And just so much new and cool shit in the game. the geth were so brilliant. And Saren. And udina. And Anderson. and the music and mood of the game. And the explanation for space travel. And the mistery of sovereign and the citadel. And liara. And the mission in Luna base. And just so much stuff. have some balls and leave the krogans! Only council races would have been invited.  And if not then bring the quarians for fucks sake. Sam should have been like legion. Does nobody give a shit about what happened to their family in the Milky Way? Fucking hell. why is this not better? Fuck

19 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Eeeehh, I wouldn't say it's the same story. 

well...

1) humans are newcomers to the galaxy... again

2) local aliens don't trust them... again

3) you have to win their trust... again

4) you are the 'shepard' of human kind except you are now called 'pathfindinder'

5) there are ancient aliens with great power... we don't know who they are or why they are not here... again

6) bad guys are abducting people.... we don't know why... AND...

Spoiler

THEY ARE BEING HELD IN PODS IN ORDER TO STEAL THEIR FUCKING DNA!!!!

I still have a fair bit to see in the story.... and I will continue to vent here as I go along.....

Lots of the stuff you mention gets referenced or expanded on the further you get into the game. They've left some pretty big cliff hangers in and more than a few deliberately (but frustrating if no follow up content) unanswered questions.

And fuck you to leaving the Krogans! That'd mean no Drack and the surprisingly diverse group of Krogan they have (poets, botanists, and other un-Krogan like attributes).

I must have been lucky. The extent of my bugs was in multi-part missions where you have to scan something after a trigger. Several times nothing was available to advance the script so I had to resort to older saves. I would have loved that melting Slone one though.

1 minute ago, Scruff said:

Lots of the stuff you mention gets referenced or expanded on the further you get into the game. They've left some pretty big cliff hangers in and more than a few deliberately (but frustrating if no follow up content) unanswered questions.

And fuck you to leaving the Krogans! That'd mean no Drack and the surprisingly diverse group of Krogan they have (poets, botanists, and other un-Krogan like attributes).

I must have been lucky. The extent of my bugs was in multi-part missions where you have to scan something after a trigger. Several times nothing was available to advance the script so I had to resort to older saves. I would have loved that melting Slone one though.

no you miss the point.... BRING the QUARIANS!!!!:D

"That's some cultist shit going on right there" is my favourite. :D She also told the glitch ass priest to go fuck himself. is this game a higher rating than the originals? Seems to have more swearing.

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I'm watching the Giant Bomb playdate for this. It's hilarious but it's also highlighted to me just how awful the writing and VA is.  I don't see any realistic amount of patching fixing this. 

The vast majority of the voice acting is fine. There are a few exceptions - Addison is appalling, as is the writing for her (her 'face is tired' bit gives me nightmares), but a lot of it is perfectly fine. 

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I'm watching the Giant Bomb playdate for this. It's hilarious but it's also highlighted to me just how awful the writing and VA is.  I don't see any realistic amount of patching fixing this. 

Again that's the start of the game which is pretty terrible but in no way representative of the rest of the game. 

4 minutes ago, JoeK said:

The vast majority of the voice acting is fine. There are a few exceptions - Addison is appalling, as is the writing for her (her 'face is tired' bit gives me nightmares), but a lot of it is perfectly fine. 

Might get better later on but so far everything has been awful and people go from introducing themselves to talking like they've known each other for ages in minutes. It's really odd. 

My honest impression of the voice acting is that it's comparable to the original games - and there were some fucking terrible moments in those games too. Alec Ryder (and Sara) are very decent in their roles, as are the other members of your main team too.

Awwww, that poor Krogan who's desperate for more gingerbread cookies. Wonder if anyone did bother to bring some roots with them...

In other news, I screwed up on Kadara in ways so shockingly shameful, I'm not even sure I dare send Sara back to that system ever again. Or, as the Mammoth Penguins once sang, I got played, I got plaaaaaaaaaayed.

One of my favourite exchanges during the game came during a main mission

You and your 2 sidekicks are stuck in an immobilising field and the only way to get you out is for SAM to literally kill you and bring you back

So he stops your heart and brings you back eventually

"Ugh that's the second time that's happened and it never gets any easier"

*sees Drack and Jaal immoblilised in the field still*

"Well my my, aren't you two looking comfortable"

"Ryder.  Get us out.  Now."

It's stupid but I laughed like a loon at that for ages :lol: 

3 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I did, although Alec Ryder's pretty cool too :P

Good ol Clancy Brown!