Mass Effect Andromeda

davejm

12 hours ago, JoeK said:

So...just about to decide whether or not to

Reveal hidden contents

Kill the AI on Voeld

It's creepy enough for me to want to destroy, but any major repurcussions?

I've just done that bit, interested to know if I made a bad choice. I've not played on enough to know about the actual repercussions.

I got a bad feeling about it as soon as we walked into the room. Then it repeatedly lies to you about its origins, and shuts down Sam's attempts to find out more about it, before lightly frying a guy and asking what you're going to do about it. An uncooperative AI is generally not a good thing, so Ryder decided to put it down.

On the other hand, it'd just been besieged by Kett, which would make anyone a bit paranoid, it doesn't know anything about the new incomers from the Milky Way, and that guy did run right up to it when it clearly wanted to be left alone. So maybe Ryder acted too quickly. I don't know. It made me do it.

1 hour ago, kitten said:

I've just done that bit, interested to know if I made a bad choice. I've not played on enough to know about the actual repercussions.

Hide contents

I got a bad feeling about it as soon as we walked into the room. Then it repeatedly lies to you about its origins, and shuts down Sam's attempts to find out more about it, before lightly frying a guy and asking what you're going to do about it. An uncooperative AI is generally not a good thing, so Ryder decided to put it down.

On the other hand, it'd just been besieged by Kett, which would make anyone a bit paranoid, it doesn't know anything about the new incomers from the Milky Way, and that guy did run right up to it when it clearly wanted to be left alone. So maybe Ryder acted too quickly. I don't know. It made me do it.

Yeah I did the same (although down the line it'll probably come back to haunt me).

On ‎8‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 00:46, Space Renegade Ulala said:

Reminds me when people would post horror stories about playing the original on Insanity and it sounded like the most miserable, unfun load of bobbins imaginable, pinging away at Geth Primes, or Krogan Battlemasters with near perma immunity on. I find life's too short such nonsense.

Can't speak for the OG difficulty, but I've automatically selected Insanity for the sequels because, yes, by default it is the most miserable, unfun load of bobbins imaginable, but I'm looking for a challenge as opposed to a walkthrough or 'tourist' mode. I auto-select the hardest difficulty for pretty much any game because I want my patience tested and my nerves rattled. I want to be challenged to rage-quit because it's the measure of a game's utility and it reassures me that my time-worn reflexes aren't being hammered by age. I've played some real stinkers over the years (prime candidates include Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days and Duke Nukem Forever), and I'm even looking to respec my Ryder because apparently biotics matter.

But seriously? That Remnant Architect on Insanity?! Ain't touching that waste of space till endgame, ffs! :facepalm:

Ok here's a public service announcement. I have to admit this game was doing my head in with glitches. and I would have been wrong to quit. I have had a smooth run since then. still playing on hardcore. and when this game is working as intended. when you've levelled up your skills and your weapons. when you've got cool armour with little lights on it. when you grow fond of your team (which you will). when you understand how the map works and how to engage with mining and crafting. when you have a ton of quests opened or on hold. this game is actually extremely fucking good. it is a really hard game to score in that regard. I would probably agree thus far that it is a seven or so. but it looses all points on lack of polish and glitches. because the foundation is really fucking good. the more you put into it the more you get out of it. and when it is working this game is fucking incredible. specially on PC. fucking hell it looks cool to explore. and the shooting feels really smooth and solid. I had found in previous games biotics were way more fun then tech for instance. but this is not the case anymore. they have nailed the feeling of all the powers. I think andromeda 2 will be potentially one of my favourite games of all time.  EDIT: also, fuck this nice weather and people expecting me to go out. <_<

ALSO: I don't have an HDR monitor. but there is really something incredible about how this game does light sources on dark environments (dim lighting). it looks eerie sometimes in that you feel you could actually reach out and grab Ryder. 

It's a really fantastic game. The combat can be absolutely exhilarating too, which is not something I really felt much of in the original series.

I'm really enjoying the story too, and the characters are very likeable.

also, that new patch has worked minor miracles with the eyes for sure. Yes, the animation is still pretty stilted in conversations, but the eyes help make up the difference to a fair degree.

It's great and I hope the early impressions don't hamper any sequels going forwards.

I reckon you're still better off waiting for another few patches:

http://www.glixel.com/news/fan-feedback-is-starting-to-fix-mass-effect-andromeda-w474995

A new patch on Thursday will be mainly tweaks, but include an option to skip those endless animations when you travel between planets. There aren't enough thankful hand emojis in the world for that decision. Inventory limits are increased, there will changes to the appearance of eyes for humans and asari characters, Ryder's weird running animation will be fixed and remnant decryption keys (which you need to skip those alien sudoku puzzles) will be easier to find at merchants and cheaper. There will also be improvements to lip sync and matchmaking and latency in multiplayer.

Flynn also detailed some of the bigger changes coming over the next two months:

- More options and variety in the character creator
- Improvements to hair and general appearance for characters
- Ongoing improvements to cinematic scenes and animations
- Improvements to male romance options for Scott Ryder
- Adjustments to conversations with Hainly Abrams (a scientific director located on Eos, who reveals she is transgender.) 

"These upcoming patches will also address performance and stability issues. And we’re looking at adding more cosmetic items to single player for free," says Flynn. "For multiplayer, over the same timeframe, we’re going to continue to build on the APEX missions that have been running since launch. We’ll be adding new maps, characters, and weapons. On Thursday, we kick off the first of three new chapters centered around 'The Remnant Investigation.'"

While changes to things like the character creator won't help day one players who have been struggling through the story with a terrible chin for a hundred hours and counting, it does show that Bioware is being proactive about fan feedback.

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

These are some good changes. Has there been any info on updating the script as well? I haven't seen any mention for writing improvements except Hainly Abrams.

The writing gets a lot better later on. Specially loyalty missions. Also a lot of what's wrong with the dialogue is scene pacing and direction in terms of camera placement. Nonetheless you would have to accept that the game is nerdy and goofy. It's different from witcher in that regard. If you can't get pass that you will never enjoy the writing. The krogan loyalty mission thus far stands out. Some really brilliant moments there. You should play at least until you see that. If you still don't like it at that point. You never will. Sadly.

Yeah, people have said that it gets better. I was just asking because they seemed to want to improve this specific part of the dialogue, so I wondered if they would just edit some more. I will certainly play it when it gets cheap, even though I am not a fan anymore of the bioware design philosophy.

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

Yeah, people have said that it gets better. I was just asking because they seemed to want to improve this specific part of the dialogue, so I wondered if they would just edit some more. I will certainly play it when it gets cheap, even though I am not a fan anymore of the bioware design philosophy.

I doubt they'll change the dialogue per se but getting rid of awkward faces, long pauses, weird buggy camera placement, and poor lip sync. would make the writing seem better although they are still saying the same stuff. that's what I think. also I would patch in lechuck's voice acting to give the game a massive boost in sales in wales. 

I don't mind the walking animation, but they did the usual ME thing of making him go far too fucking slow.

God knows what happened - walking pace in the first Mass Effect was fine, it then just goes progressively slower and slower...

8 minutes ago, JoeK said:

walking pace in the first Mass Effect was fine, it then just goes progressively slower and slower...

It mirrors the series complexity. They did it to match the IQ and attention span of the people that couldn't deal with the inventory and Mako driving of the first one ;)

3 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

That actually leaves two loose ends. Either for dlc, or a sequel.

True, though it didn't really need to be that substantial. it would be the classic, continued investigation followed by "visit their base", kill everyone there, mini boss fight, done. Followed up by you telling Tan and him saying something like "We continue to appreciate your work blah blah" 

30 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

:D

I wonder if they'll fix Scott's walking animation. Scott runs just fine, but walks like Keanu Reeves in Bill & Ted. 

Then there's Sara, who runs like a chicken, but walks perfectly normally. 

Sarah has a nice figure though. and I kinda like the chicken running. I think this is better than Sheppard on ME3 for sure. but probably not as good as something like Rise of the Tomb Raider. I found myself wishing aloy had this jet-pack though. It is brilliant to use. 

So threads left dangling - beyond just "life goes on" style stuff.

Jardeen/Opposition story (inc Scourge and if we can fix it)

Khett are still coming

Who killed Jein Garson? (Who is the Benefactor, although seems very likely it's TIM/Cereberus)

Quarian Ark (and whatever they're warning about)

Mother IceCube

Angara VI (maybe? that might be just my game had no consequences)

4 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Jet-pack? What fucking jet-back? Don't you biotically blink? ;)

Ha! I am kinda using my profile for weapon buffs instead but then specking towards tech. the only biotic I am really using is pull. but I've got pulling maxed out ;). because fuck waiting for people to pop out of cover. :D

added this one to my favourite lines in the franchise probably right after:

"Liara, don't give the mercs any ideas!" just one line and not really a spoiler but hidden just in case.

Spoiler

"it's an angaran holiday" :D 

1 minute ago, Oz said:

added this one to my favourite lines in the franchise probably right after:

"Liara, don't give the mercs any ideas!" just one line and not really a spoiler but hidden just in case.

Reveal hidden contents

"it's an angaran holiday" :D 

Yep. It's moment like that which make me realise how much I like my crew..