Xbox Live 10th Anniversary. Were you there day 1? Memory lane beckons and maybe gifts

Kryptonian

So there's talk MS will be giving longstanding members gifts such as limited edition consoles etc, probably US only as we always get stiffed here.

There must be some guys here who have put in the time? I was on the beta, as was boozy I think? Kerraig too but I think he swapped accounts at some point.

http://www.kitguru.net/channel/jon-martindale/microsoft-sending-out-free-anniversary-xbox-360s/

Xbox official page but not online yet...

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/Live/Xbox-Anniversary (comes up on google)

I'm certainly special, I think I had to apply to get on the beta but I remember I still had to pay the sub but got onto Live 3 months before it was opened to the public. I remember there being a few people on here on Live before the public beta that I got on as there were a fair few positive reports about Unreal Championship. However when it came out properly it was a bit gash.

I was on the consumer beta too (November 2002), got some Xbox Live carry case thing and a few other bits, and the 12 months of Live didn't start until the proper service was launched in March 2003. But yeah, I changed accounts after a couple of years to swap my Gamertag.

MotoGP was ace. I 'rented' it from GAME to get a save game on my console which unlocked all of the tracks in the demo. Ghost Recon was brilliant too :wub: Then RTCW the next year. All brilliant experiences. I don't really play games online any more! Still pay for the fucking Gold sub though, which I'll probably bin off when it comes to renew it next.

I was on that first beta. I'm pretty sure Geldra (lucky him) was the first person I ever spoke to on Xbox live, followed by many MotoGP races :) I remember MotoGP being silky smooth and being blown away by how stable everything was during the beta.

I was on Xbox live as Monkey Fu. I was to be feared at Unreal Tournament and Ghost Recon, but largely shite at everything else. Then when I got my 360 I had to abandon that tag as I needed some info off my original Xbox to switch it across and I couldn't get into my Xbox as I'd put some random button combination password in and forgotten it. :(

Mech Assault? and yes!

I hadn't even looked at MotoGP until Live bit went and bought it after the 3 track taster. Brilliant game, terrible sequels though, mainly due to the super glue grass AND time penalty if you veered off the track. Those early live games were amazing though for the atmosphere etc

Same Gamertag and account since launch day in Europe :)

The MotoGP demo is still one of the best experiences I have had online. That and the Splinter Cell multiplayer with two Mecs and two Spies. That was revolutionary, never understood why that concept didn't catch on.

My gold time is over 9 years. Probably would have been earlier joining, but back then NTL broadband would only allow 1 PC to be connected, and it was a while before I found out how to bypass by amending the MAC address details on the xbox. Never really done much multiplayer, and even less so these days. Just use it really now for access to Sky.

Another Xbox live beta person here. Motogp is my most memorable gaming experiences and my first time online. I was unemployed at the time after being made redundant so was online up until the early hours of te morning. I was an active member in the online folder here setting up games or maybe before rllmuk I can't remember. The early days of Xbox live was brilliant with rtcw, ghost recon, rainbow six. I remember organising a tournament via the xsn for topspin. I think miner willy won it.

I was on the original beta (as Egham Ninja). I lost my original live account back when the 360 launched and the MS support staff were as useful as a frozen turd.

Fond memories of MotoGP and the incredible PGR2. Now it's all SHOOT DA MANZ.

Nope it was just two games.

Xbox Live enables gamers with a broadband connection to find their friends easily; talk to other players during game play through the Xbox Communicator headset; download current statistics, new levels and characters to their Xbox hard drive; and play online.

Xbox Live will be available from 30th November in the UK, France and Germany as part of the Xbox Live Test Drive phase. The service will launch at retail on 14th March 2003 - the one-year anniversary of the Xbox launch - in eight European countries: UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Sweden.

The Xbox Live Starter Pack, available online in the UK, France and Germany during the Xbox Live Test Drive and at retail in all eight countries from 14th March 2003, has an estimated street price of $59.99/£39.99 - about the same cost as one Xbox game. The Starter Pack includes the Xbox Communicator headset (used for voice communication during online gaming), a 12-month subscription to the Xbox Live service and special versions of two top Xbox games, MotoGP and Whacked! - both optimised for Xbox Live play.

The starter games are just the beginning - from 30th November, Xbox Live will support five Xbox Live-exclusive games in Europe this year: Unreal Championship (Infogrames); MechAssault and Whacked! (Microsoft Game Studios); Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (Ubi Soft); and MotoGP (THQ). In 2003, more than 50 Xbox Live-enabled games will launch, including Halo 2, CounterStrike, Star Wars: Galaxies, and Project Gotham Racing 2. More than 60 game publishers are currently working on Xbox Live-enabled games.

European Roll-Out

Xbox Live will roll out in three distinct phases in Europe:

1. Consumer Beta Test (30th October - 29th November 2002): A closed beta test with 3,000 gamers participating in the UK, France and Germany, the Consumer Beta is a testing phase designed to capture anticipated levels of usage to the service in Europe. It's also where any service glitches will be identified and corrected.

2. Xbox Live Test Drive (30th November 2002 - 13th March 2003): Open to any Xbox owner with a broadband connection in the UK, France and Germany, the Test Drive lets gamers have an early chance to play Xbox Live. Gamers can participate by ordering a special Test Drive starter pack online, which includes all the software needed to get playing, plus the Xbox Communicator and a twelve-month subscription to the Live service. The benefits to getting in early are first choice of Gamertags, and also free months of Live - the twelve months of Live don't begin until the 14th March, meaning that gamers will get to play for free!

3. Xbox Live Retail Launch (14th March 2003): Gamers in the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands and Sweden can purchase an Xbox Live starter pack at their local retail outlet and get playing right away.

http://www.msxbox-world.com/features/article/26/x02-european-xbox-live-details.html

November 2003 for me, so nine years. Loved those early days when, and this is going to make me sound like a miserable old cunt, but when Xbox Live wasnt full of hateful 14 year old kids and everybody on there was genuinely friendly. PGR2 and Splinter Cell Spies vs Mercs are still high water marks in my online gaming experiences.