Android Netrunner - LCG

As Moose says they game comes with enough cards for 7 faction decks(3 runners, 4 corps) but you do need to reuse a bunch of neutral cards with the faction specific cards to make each deck. It's not a big deal but if you decide to try a different faction in a session you need to dig the neutral cards out of your current deck and shuffle them in with the other faction.

The Trace Amount expansion shipped today, so hopefully it'll arrive in time for the weekend. There's a fair bit of talk on various forums about the need for Tagging a runner to be easier, but I don't think that's the case - for one it'd make cards like Scorched Earth completely overpowered and mandatory in every deck - but also because the Corp is at it's heart a defensive beast. I know Corps like NBN can mess with the runner effectively, but allowing the Corp player to tag easily would be a mistake, especially considering the havoc you can wreak with that tag in place.

As others have said, setting up a legal, effective deck couldn't be simpler. It's worth spending 15 minutes reading through and familiarising yourself with the cards though, as it'll help things move on at a pace.

This is a fantastic game.

cheers fellas, not got the box to see what its like inside. Think we'll go for a couple of games tomorrow with the prebuilt decks. i'm hoping then to keep hold of the runner cards to look through for the next game.

Do you know how hard it was to have the box here and not be able to open it and punch the chits out!

Most of the time we switch decks after a run, unless it's a teaching session, then I just stick as the corp and let them get a grasp of what's going on. I've taught five people how to play now so i've played corp far more than runner!

Had a really good session at the weekend of Jinteki v Criminal. The card from trace amount that lets you shift tokens around is just awesome for Jinteki. I set up an awesome ambush by moving tokens from a agenda to an ambush card (junebug). He went for it but like an idiot i'd forgot to hold a credit back so I couldn't activate it and flatline him :facepalm:

Got one game of this in tonight against a first time player - although he's watched a fair few games being played. I played as the Corp and due to a terrible hand (after a terrible hand Mulligan), I got my teeth kicked in initially, with him scoring 5 points of agendas in two turns.

After that, the ICE got rolling and I was able to channel him into a fully stacked Junebug, frying him immediately and winning the game.

I've been playing the Game of Thrones LCG as well recently, and coming from that it really hammers home just how fast and intense Netrunner actually is. It's such a superb game.

Second attempt at Netrunner tomorrow night!

When you play do you stick as the Runner vs Corp or do you switch sides?

The "Official" tournament method is to swap and then compare scores at the end, although I can't remember off the top of my head how much you get for a win and for a lose. Of course, in a friendly game you can just play what you want. As I'm mostly teaching people at the moment I stay as the Corp, as it's easier to help people when their cards are being played face-up.

Second game went much better than the first. Managed to finish the game! I was playing as Anarch, didn't play as aggressive as I should. Opponent advanced a ghost card to give me three tags! Biggest problem I had was running out of credits early on and not being able to generate any more :(

• 3 weeks later...

Had possibly my best game ever of this today, which I lost, incidentally. I was playing Shapers vs. Wayland and never before have I had such an uphill struggle. Made the critical mistake early on of installing both the Magnum Opus and Battering Ram, consuming all of my Mem slots - of course I had plenty of cards to boost that, but predictably they never showed up.

I had a few decent Icebreakers pile up in my hand waiting for space to deploy, when on a run where I'd also regrettably picked up a Tag I got Archer'd, destroying my two installed programs. Figuring that it wasn't too bad as I needed space for more immediately useful software, I was subsequently dismayed to take a Scorched Earth to the knee, wiping out my entire hand except for another Magnum Opus.

A few turns later the same thing happened and that was pretty much it for me. I clawed back a few points making a few desperate runs on HQ, and that was pretty much my only target, with everything else of interest being protected by advanced Hadrian's Walls and Tag happy Shadows.

The final score for me and Crypsis (the only effective Icebreaker I had the the most of the game) was 4-7 to my corporate enemy. Depressingly, on one of his servers, with Ice 4 layers deep, it would have taken 31 credits to punch through with Crypsis, so that's where the agendas went, one after another in complete safety.

It was amazing fun, as Netrunner always is.

Made the critical mistake early on of installing both the Magnum Opus and Battering Ram, consuming all of my Mem slots - of course I had plenty of cards to boost that, but predictably they never showed up.

The runner is allowed to trash programs to free up memory space for other programs.Just in case you weren't aware of that rule!

• Upvote 1

The runner is allowed to trash programs to free up memory space for other programs.Just in case you weren't aware of that rule!

Yeah, I was - I was just reluctant to as I had already upgraded the Battering Ram with the Personal Touch, which felt like my best chance of getting through Hadrian's Wall - but with hindsight, it's clear that having the tools to penetrate barrier ice isn't that useful when you have to crash through Shadows every time to do it. Still, it was the other guy's second game (first as corp!) and by the time it dawned on me that I didn't have to go easy I was already on the ropes. Heh.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantasy Flight ought to think about sending me a free data pack or something - I went to the the Leicester Uni Games Soc 24-Hour charity board-game event and sold a fair few people on A:NR. I've actually played many more intro games than I have actual games at this point, but I've now got at least 5 people in the area who are getting into deck building, so we'll see how that goes in the near future.

I did manage to play a couple of proper games, though - I brought NBN and Anarch decks with me, as I have by far the least experience with those two factions, and I wanted to figure out how they worked; additionally if you're going to get hosed then you might as well get hosed for charity!

The first game with NBN was a dismal failure - It was over in a couple of turns and despite my going nuts on card drawing, I only managed to pull 1 bit of ICE out in the first 20 cards, and it was Tollbooth, so no use at all on it's own really. My Runner opponent just struck where they wanted, when they wanted and it was all over. After we both had a laugh at the chances of shuffling all your ICE into the lower half of your deck we went at it again and I edged a win. The speed at which NBN can shift and get things done is simply terrifying - although on the downside your ICE has all the stopping power of wet tissue paper, so you need that speed.

Second game I managed to get the runner tagged and drop 2x Scorched Earth on their heads - now I've got that particular rite of passage out of the way I can forget about it and stop trying to hard. I might drop the Scorched Earth as fast advance doesn't really need it to win and replace it with some ICE with stopping power. Perhaps Hadrian's Wall.

The final proper game I played was Anarchs vs. Haas-Bioroid, which I once again managed to win. It was an incredibly tense game where I was forced to pick apart the Bioroid ICE walls by lowering their defense strength through viruses and generally keeping the pressure on all the time grinding away with Parasites. I'm not sure my opponent was used to people being quite so aggressive, but the Anarchs need to do that of they're stuffed.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to playing this, *really* like it! Love how the game mechanics and flavour complement each other, in the same way as say BSG, eg the hacker can hack into pretty much anything they want. The corps are secretive and driven by money. I've only played one game, in which I was the hacker. After a very shaky start, I managed to dodge some fairly clumsy traps and ended up winning 7-0! Really want to try playing as the corp side now

Both the Runner and the Corp are all about the money in Netrunner - after all, without the big bucks you're not going to be able to do much with those ICE Breakers!

I've always felt that Jinteki are a bit crap for intro games - they're certainly the mind-game corp but the starter box doesn't give them that much to do it with, aside from Snare! and Project Junebug - and once the runner learns to charge up on cards before making a risky run, and not to run on their last click so they can shake tags, life becomes much harder for the corp.

Personally, I think that Weyland is a far better corp for Intro games - they're really pretty damned obvious about what they're doing and they don't require the mind games that a new player isn't yet prepared to construct. Plus, they're pretty much Weyland from the Alien's films.

We'll get the 6 data packs in the Genesis Cycle 1st (of which 3 have been released so far) then this deluxe expansion. It's the model they've been using for all the LCG, though they do sometimes fit more cycles in between the bigger expansions.

• 2 months later...

Fantasy Flight have an "upcoming" section on their website where you can see expected release dates for all their products, including reprints. Looks like a reprint of the core set is due to hit stores any day now so I imagine it should be back in stock in the UK in a week or two once they get across from the US.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just ordered a core set from Foyles, who were selling it cheaper than anywhere else (even though it's being shipped from the US?). Looking again now, and it appears it's out of stock. Seems FF totally underestimated the demand for A:NR, they were expecting the Star Wars LCG to be their smash hit, but Netrunner is selling out all over the place. I can't find many places offering data packs, and some are totally sold out awaiting reprints.

Yep, getting anything Netrunner is a complete pain the arse. It's got to the point that it's putting me off the game a bit, part of my enjoyment of this sort of thing is collecting all the cards and I'm finding the aggravation of trying to buy the stuff greater than the fun I get from playing it. I spend more time on Game of Thrones these days.