Android Netrunner - LCG

That's a kind offer Yix, but I'm happy to wait until they are more generally available. I don't think they'll stop printing them until people stop buying them. My core set hasn't even arrived yet!

• 1 month later...

I'm about 20 or so games into A:NR, mainly playing with either my partner (who really didn't think she'd like it - thanks to the theme - but actually loves it), and my regular gaming opponent. I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it, more so than my experiences with MTG where I've felt too far behind the game to catch up financially and buy the cards to make a worthwhile deck. A:NR's core set, with the variety therein is a great start - and there has often been a sense of drama in the way the games have played out. Noise pushing cards into the archives then spectacularly making an all-or-nothing run on it, late in the game being a highlight. Or the time Weyland tagged, then Scorched Earth twice to flatline me. Excellent business. It's been great to feel out the tactics behind each identity, and see where their weaknesses lie. Knowing that Gabriel Santiago (criminal) is going to want to run on HQ really affects corp strategy, which I am impressed with - the identities do feel quite balanced, and certainly we've not seen a massive difference in win/losses that correspond to this. So, well worth the investment.

I think I'm now at a stage where I'm thinking about deck building/tweaking. I've been playing Runners generally, although we've sometimes swapped to see how the other half live. I think I'll invest in a couple of data packs, and let Mrs Uglifruit have the corps cards to build a deck with, while I concentrate on the Runner side. Either that, or doing something more 'draft' like, and making a corp AND runner deck to play against one another, but that might be pushing my luck with Mrs's patience too far. ("Come on darling, lets sit down and draft our decks before we play" - what a charmer!).

Did players here buy data packs in order? More cores? (seems excessive for the few singles/doubled cards) And drafting/hints for sustaining the game with two regular players (who are definitely not going to invest in their own core set, but do co-habit, so could have access to the set alone if needed).

tl:dr - A:NR - it's good innit?

The first bigger expansion (Creation and Control) is out now as well.

If your enjoying the game it's definitely worth buying the expansion, the extra cards really open up a lot of new gameplay options. The only problem of course is that it starts to rack up cost wise if you want to get the expansion plus the data packs.

I'd recommend spending the £25 for Creation and Control first. A greater pool of cards will make deck building much more interesting and it will give you some extra neutral cards which will help out with you both using 1 core set.

I wouldn't go mad and buy all the data packs at once. The data packs are good but you need time to play and appreciate the cards so its not a good idea to just splurge and get hundreds of new ones.

It was quite a while ago that I started this thread but I'm happy to say the game is getting better and better. If I have 1 criticism it's the frequency of data packs, personally I'd like a bit more gap between them but clearly fantasy flight know they are on to a winner!

Did players here buy data packs in order? More cores? (seems excessive for the few singles/doubled cards) And drafting/hints for sustaining the game with two regular players (who are definitely not going to invest in their own core set, but do co-habit, so could have access to the set alone if needed).

I have two core sets, all 6 data packs and waiting for the postie to deliver Creation & Control. The amount of time i've played it (nearly 40 plays) doesn't really justify all that expense (two player games rarely get to the table anymore) but it's such a fantastic game that i'm happy for FFG to continue to drain my bank account so I can get my grubby mitts on more cards!

When I purchased the 2nd core set only the first data back was available so yes I'd say now, unless you want to do tournaments, a second core set is excessive. The new bigger expansion offers the best value for money if you do want to expand your card choices but there is some great cards in the data packs. You can see exactly what cards come in each pack on cardgamedb.com. I wouldn't bother with drafting though. Prebuild your decks before you play. A big part of the appeal of the game (for a lot of people it seems anyway) is trying out a deck you've built, tweaking it a bit and then playing with it again.

If you're looking to expand your card pool for deck building then I'd agree with the others; deluxe expansions offer the best value for money by far. There are some really good cards in the data packs though, What Lies Ahead for example comes with a new Agenda for each Corporation, and a new Anarch ID.

A good argument for a second core set is that it'll allow you to have more than two decks built at once.

Oooh, thanks for advice. Our favourites (from the base) appear to be Weyland, Haas and Anarchs. I can see how it'd be easy to buy loads of cards and never really get to know them - I think I'll take a punt on the C&C expansion, and live with it for a while before jumping in with others. If its cards mean I suddenly start preferring how a different identity plays, then all the better!

I suppose the 'problem', such as it is, is that playing against regular opponent from same set, that we can't each build a corp deck AND runner deck, to play against one another (at least without massive compromises). Perhaps we could build a deck each, and build a 'B' deck with whatever cards are left after they've built their A deck. (I guess once you have a couple of data packs, it'd be possible to build a second legal deck, but I don't think I could justify a second core set to Mrs.)

Beware - it's very hard to build 2 legal decks with a core and a few expansions due to restricted numbers of agendas. If one of you wants to play Haas-Bioroid you can get all the agendas you need out of Creation and Control and they'll be good, freeing up the other player to take the neutral agendas for another corp deck.

Haas will be a bit terrifying against a core runner though. The 2.0 Bioriods are very good.

• 1 month later...

How are people getting on with this these days? I've been playing a huge amount lately with friends, in a league and a tournament which I did really badly in.

I've shifted to Weyland rather than Jinteki for my Corp deck, I'm focusing on Agenda scoring rather than tag and bag which seems to catch people out when they see the Weyland deck. Trick of light I'm finding works really well with Weylands advanceable ICE and Shipment from Kaguya, especially when you throw in a couple of traps to mix things up. Nothing more satisfying than scoring a couple of Agendas in 1 server and then throwing a Cerebral Overwriter in there next.

Runner wise I'm still Running a central server focused Gabe deck. Main focus is getting my R&D and HQ interface cards out and digging away using them, although it's definitely risky versus a Jinteki deck. I've come to appreciate Mr Li as a very handy card for shifting through your deck for what you need, although I am weighing up splashing Pro Contacts as my draw card.

Apparently Opening Moves will be in shops from next week, it certainly has some nice looking cards in it the biggest perhaps being Jackson Howard. I'm pretty sure we'll see that card getting splashed into a lot of Corp decks.

I recently started playing this and I'm really enjoying it. However, can someone clear up the 'no jacking out with the first piece of ICE rule?' Does this effectively mean that the Runner has to approach and encounter the first piece of ICE during each run?

Furthermore, after approaching a de-rezzed piece of ICE which then Corp then rezzes, does this then have to be encountered or can the runner jack out?

I'm still playing this fairly regularly with my brother, and I've got a friend from my regular gaming group interested. I wish the game had multiplayer rules, I know that would probably be impossible given the asymmetrical nature, but I'd play it a lot more often if I could get my whole group involved at the same time.

I recently started playing this and I'm really enjoying it. However, can someone clear up the 'no jacking out with the first piece of ICE rule?' Does this effectively mean that the Runner has to approach and encounter the first piece of ICE during each run?

Furthermore, after approaching a de-rezzed piece of ICE which then Corp then rezzes, does this then have to be encountered or can the runner jack out?

When the Runner declares a run against a server, they must always encounter the outermost ICE. The Corp then has the opportunity to rez this ICE if it's not already rezzed. After the encounter (and any subroutines have either been broken or applied), the Runner has an opportunity to jack out before encountering the next ICE, or before accessing the server if they've reached it. The Runner only gets the option to jack out after encountering a piece of ICE.

So yes, in summary. You have to encounter the first ICE because otherwise all you're doing is saying "I'm going to run on this server, actually no I'm not". The timing structures are such that a Corp can choose to rez ICE after the Runner has declared they are continuing the run. Surprising the Runner with nasty ICE they cannot avoid is half the game!

I'm still playing this fairly regularly with my brother, and I've got a friend from my regular gaming group interested. I wish the game had multiplayer rules, I know that would probably be impossible given the asymmetrical nature, but I'd play it a lot more often if I could get my whole group involved at the same time.

There's a community designed 4 player variant called the 'The big sell out'. Essentially it's runner + corp vs runner + corp (agent and sponsor in the fiction).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqbzq6zu76brldm/Netrunner_The_Big_Sell-Out.pdf

Haven't tried it yet but am giving it a go soon!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I've been playing Netrunner a bit more regularly too - I've been experimenting with the Kit Yogasaurus deck, and I'm really having mixed feelings about it. The first game I tried all of the Dinosaurus cards were somehow shuffled into the final 5 cards, which basically meant that the combo didn't work and I just bounced off Corporate Ice the whole game.

Another game I played last night, I had Dinosaurus, Yog and Modded in my opening hand, so I had it out on the first turn, allowing me to pretty much go where I wanted the whole game. Entertainingly, I still lost the game as after repeatedly running on HQ every turn for no profit, I used Escher to make their R&D vulnerable and ran that for... no profit. My opponent told me that in the switchover turn between targeting HQ and R&D, they drew three agendas into their hand. Dammit.

Turns out the rumours about the next deluxe expansion being focussed on Jinteki & Criminal were true!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4549

ADN15-box-left.png

This was just announced yesterday, along with a few spoilers. One is an interesting Criminal ID, Silhouette, who can expose a card upon upon successfully running HQ. Yowch. Goodbye, operation Junebug. This should be a massive boost to Jinteki, who I'd love to see in more games. I think their credit troubles got a massive shot in the arm with celebrity gift, and hopefully will offer some nice diversity from fast advance NBN/HB and tag 'n bag Weyland. I think maybe the most exciting card revealed so far is this sweet faction-neutral Asset:

plan-b.png

That would almost make holding agendas in hand worth it, assuming you can tempt runners into running it... Otherwise it's just wasted money on advancing it... unless you have Trick of Light...

Anyway, due Q1 2014, so probably coinciding with the end of the Spin Cycle.

Rad.

• Upvote 1

Uhh, okay, apparently I missed a load of card spoilers last night, and some of these are really making me want to pick up Jinteki...

Like this:

medical-breakthrough.png

combined with this crazy gamble of an ID:

harmony-medtech.png

With the 40 card lower limit, I'm sure you could manage at least one early advance, pretty much setting yourself up for the rest of the game, provided you have tricks enough to get the other two before they're stolen.

On the other hand, as a criminal player, I'm now sorely tempted to try the new ID,

silhouette.png

With this new card:

early-bird.png

And maybe the doppelganger console too. And maybe some same old things... With two datasuckers out...

Just announced, a european equivalent of the plugged in tour to be held in April 2014.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4556

You'll get an alternate art NBN Making News card for participating, and there are playmats and messenger bags for high placing players. There's also a chance to vote on these two identities:

chronos-protocol-jinteki.pngchronos-protocol-haas-bioroid.png

The HB identity sounds quite terrifying, not sure I'd ever vote for it! Time to start honing my decks then!

• Upvote 1

I don't think the Haas ID is as powerful as the Jinteki one; it's got the power to completely destroy some decks - the currently trendy Yogasaurus deck would could potentially be wrecked in a single blow. On the other hand, Brain Damage doesn't happen every turn and the corp doesn't get to pick what card goes.

Jinteki on the other hand allows you to look at the runner's hand and snipe out a card of your choice. Jinteki pisses out Net damage all over the shop, often unavoidably because nobody takes Net Shield ever. I'd certainly worry about facing that more than the Haas one - with the latter I just have to be careful not to keep duplicates of critical cards in my hand. It's very hard for the corp to 'reach out and touch' the runner anyway and with the current card pool, I don't really feel the need to keep backups around because it's so hard to lose anything.

I've just dismantled my Yogasaurus as well as my Haas 'Massive Ice I don't Pay for' decks. The former is immensely powerful but just feels as though I'm flipping a coin at the beginning of the game. If Dinosaurus and Yog come up fast enough the corp suffers horribly. If they don't, the whole deck is neutered - and I've had one game where all three Dinos were in the bottom 5 cards. Boo-urns. Haas Big Ice is brilliant, especially when combined with the Hand of Tyr, but I want to do something else.

I also achieved two new personal bests - 5 clicks a turn with Haas and causing 5 Brain damage in one hit. Blam.

Instead we've got Jinteki where I'm seeing just how much Net Damage I can pour out; Net Damage for running, Net Damage for stealing agendas, Net Damage for Junebug, Net Damage for Snares, Neural EMPs and for not risking running on Ronin in case it was a Junebug... etc etc. On the other side I've returned to Noise Viruses - I'm looking forward to giving it another crack as my opponents are far more experienced now, and now know to protect their Archives.

Yeah, I'd actually come to the same conclusion regarding those two new IDs shortly after posting that. Although the prospect of brain damage and removing all cards of the same type is scary, I agree I don't think it would actually happen that often. I rarely take more than one brain damage in a game, anyway. If wonder if the HB deck would actually see play though.

I've been a weyland t&b player since settling into the game, but since the chronos tour is coming up, I thought I'd try out HB and NBN fast advance decks, as setting up SEA Source double Scorched, removing plascrete and having the money to trace and play two more cards can sometimes take quite a while to set up, and I want to make sure I can actually finish my games in the allotted time!

I enjoyed the HB deck, since if fast advance isn't quite working, you have the option of just sitting back and putting big ice up. I think it might be more of a gamble, but I had a lot more fun using NBN, a tonne of cheap ice and horrible astroscript recursion, san san grids and overscoring project beales.

Just won my first game as the runner, so far only played it around five times. We've been using just the core set and the prebuilt decks from OCTGN. Santiago has some cheap ways to successfully run. Through the archives and with Inside Job. Going to try tweaking the deck for next time. Still find myself spending whole turns generating cash. :doh:

I must have played a dozen games over Christmas and all but one of them ended up with the runner getting flatlined. I built a Jinteki deck to punish the runner for every single move - Fetal AIs being the basis and trying to build a server around them that simply cannot be survived. The Core Jinteki ID combined with the aforementioned Agenda as well as that Regional Upgrade that causes 1 point of net damage for a successful run means that the runner is going to be taking 4 points of damage for scoring an agenda - which puts them within easy reach of a couple of Neural EMPs.

My runner deaths in turn happened against a Brain Damage NBN deck, including one particularly painful (and game ending run) where I crashed unprepared into Janus while the Sentinel Defence Programme was up and running which made for 4 Brain Damage + 4 Net Damage. Instant death.

I think that fear of damage is the best thing in the world for slowing down runners - especially early game when they've got valuable cards in their hand which they need to set up their rig. Overall, extremely enjoyable games!