Android Netrunner - LCG

• 5 weeks later...

I've just purchased this, and made some playmats at work (one of the benefits of having a printing studio downstairs). The thing is, I'll be the one to teach my friends the rules, and I'm struggling to know where to start learning them myself. The rulebook is quite dry, as is the FFG official rules video I found on youtube. Is there a nice chatty tutorial somewhere you guys could link me to? Preferably watching a game play out as they explain it.

Have a look on bgg.com for the netrunner page. In the bids section there's a couple of playthroughs. One in particular has two chaps playing it which is about an hour long that I found quite good. Sorry for no link.

You'll have to post a pic of your mat too.

This is the official FFG video that Ersatz mentioned.

After watching that I'd recommend watching some actual games on the Team Covenant Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/CovenantTCG/videos

They do a really good job with their graphics overlays which will help you track cards that are being played etc.

My new player tip would be to never underestimate the importance of economy making sure you don't run short of credits.

Have people been keeping up to date with the data packs? I've got to say the last one "True Colors" had some amazing cards in it particularly Keyhole and Punitive Counterstrike.

Currently using a Reina Caissa deck with Keyhole that has a heavy focus on taxing the corps ICE rez with Xanadu's and Rook's. Overall i don't think the Caissa's will stick around too long as they are too easy for the corp to get rid of, but Keyhole is an absolute killer. I imagine it will only get better as people think up more imaginative ways to use it.

Yeah, I've been running a keyhole deck with Chaos Theory for funsies and been having a great time with it. It's not going to win any tournaments, but it's immensely satisfying when all the combos and scavenges are going my way.

Punitive Counterstrike has been similarly fun in my NBN deck, but wasn't actually winning me any games. Similarly, RSVP is good fun, but doesn't have enough lasting power to justify all three in a deck I think. Sweeps Week is a goddamn blinder though. I cannot wait until I draw it first turn against an andromeda player.

Anyone else hideously excited about The Lunar Cycle announced a couple of days ago?

ADN16-card-fan.png

ADN15-21-card-fan.png

Apart from the cards being quite ridiculously beautiful, I'm really excited by the core prospect of the Corp getting a few more tricks to set the tempo of the game, which has almost exclusively been the runner's prerogative until now.

Also I can't stop chuckling at the idea of that bioroid maid drowning her moon master.

Also the phrase "Cyber Explorer".

Also the idea of Nasir booting up running interference before a big run, only to bounce off a paper wall, and float penniless into space.

• Upvote 1

I'm still playing. I'm a couple of packs behind in the Spin cycle, but I have managed to play one game using some of the newer cards I have. Narrowly avoided picking up a third core set when they were cheap on Amazon around Christmas, still thinking about it though.

It really is one of the nicest-looking card games, isn't it? It's almost embarrassing how bland something like the Pathfinder card game looks in comparison.

Imp I'm hideously excited about all things NR! And Rev you're right FFG have/are doing an amazing job with their designs visually and gameplay wise.

I'm still secretly hoping they do a deal with Wizards/White Wolf to resurrect Vampire the Eternal Struggle in the same way as Netrunner.

In the middle of reading Neuromancer at the moment, and those gameplay videos really make me wish I knew someone else who would be into paying this regularly. Not really my usual gaming group's thing, unfortunately.

...Tempted to get it anyway, just because it looks so well designed and illustrated.

OK! I'm set up on OCTGN, I think I've got the uncensored cards (I subscribed and then added the image pack, now I have two sets of core cards and it seems to be using the uncensored ones!)

Anyone fancy teaching me how to play the bloody thing tomorrow? :)

Its not bad. Some things aren't very intuitive. You have to 'target' cards to make effects go off. Its helpful by doing automatic card draw for Corp each turn or +1 hand size for identities that have it as an ability.

I find it easier with skype too but I've got a phobia about talking to strangers over the internet!...awkward....

I'd really really like to play this more. Any London types fancy meeting up for a game?

One tip could be that Dark Sphere now have a huge new shop with tons of gaming tables just over Southwark Bridge. Certainly lots of MtG played in there.

I'd be up for an after-work game or two. Still only have a core set, but playing more would kick off buying more sets, I'm sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Oof, blackguard is brutal. Tried it out in a gabe deck tonight, and after some initial teething issues in some games which ended before they got started, once it was up and running with snitch it was utterly ridiculous. Also got battered by a couple of gabe players using pheromones. Seems super strong if you're just locking hq in order to continually keep the corp poor and forcing them to immediately put agendas into potentially shaky remotes.

Also still loving my most fair and square deck which is a white tree Jinteki with no Jackson Howards though. It's surprisingly effective at winning through scoring.

Yes, that is exactly the kind of hideous thing the deck allows the runner to do. To be honest, doing it felt quite cruel. Especially against a guy who had a chimera out so I could waste two of his credits every turn.

To answer your question, if the corp can't afford to rez, then they don't lose any money, and the ice stays unrezzed. Also blackguard doesn't work on archer, as it would be ridiculous to force the corp to lose an agenda. Funny though. Funny and cruel.

• Upvote 1

You simply pass that piece of ICE as Blackguard states "if able", the corp doesnt need to trash it or anything.

Think i'll give the combo a try in a Reina deck including Rooks and Xanadu.

I really need to get round to setting up OCTGN so I can playtest my decks quicker.