Android Netrunner - LCG

You simply pass that piece of ICE as Blackguard states "if able", the corp doesnt need to trash it or anything.

Think i'll give the combo a try in a Reina deck including Rooks and Xanadu.

I really need to get round to setting up OCTGN so I can playtest my decks quicker.

I had that idea too, but apparently this can be to your detriment as it makes it so the corp often can't rez at all. One of the raddest things though, is forcing the ice to rez illicit ice. Then shutting down that ice and forcing them to rez again for an extra bad pub.

I get what you mean but it's a win win either way really as long as it keeps the corps bank empty.

Excited about the next deluxe expansion, loving the look of a lot of the Jinteki stuff some serious mind games will be getting played. I really love decks that allow for some unpredictable play and bluffing, Jinteki are perfect for it.

Something brilliant has happened. I picked up the base game of Netrunner and my girlfriend has really latched onto it. To the point where she asks me to play (rather than the other way around) and is now asking me to look into expansions.

What's a good starting point? is it best to just start from the earlier releases or are there any in particular that are regarded as better?

There's something nice in each of the first cycle's data packs. What Lies Ahead is as good a place to start as any, as it contains new Agendas for each of the Corporations, and a new Anarch ID. The contents of every expansion released so far are detailed on Card Game DB, if you fancy browsing them first.

Thats a tough one to answer. I would recommend getting the deluxe expansion Creation and Control which is all Shaper and HB but has a lot of cards that will splash into various builds. In the next couple of months the 2nd deluxe is coming out as well which is focused on Criminals and Jinteki.

In terms of the smaller data pack expansions, ones that stand out to me would be:

Future Proof - Allows you too build some awesome NBN decks because of Midseason Replacements and Project Beale. Also contains Mr Li which is a very handy card draw option and Faerie which is a brilliant Ice breaker.

Humanities Shadow - Kati Jones! Pretty much essential economy card in most runner decks, Gabe maybe being an exception.

Opening Moves - Jackson Howard! Pretty much a staple in most Corp decks for better card draw and reshuffling of economy cards/traps back into R&D. Celebrity Gift and Himitso Bako are also very good additions for Jinteki decks.

The unfortunate answer is most of the packs contain very good cards, so it can be hard to decide where to start. I'd look on Card Game DB like Revlob said and decide which factions you both prefer and prioritise that way.

• 4 months later...

Everyone's still playing this, right? I think the game's really gone from strength to strength since the release of Honour and Profit.

Upstalk landed a few weeks ago, and added in lotus field.

06003.png

I can't describe how useful this has been in my local meta where parasite recursion is entirely par for the course. I've pretty much managed to keep players out of R&D and HQ for the whole game with this little beauty. And it's only one influence, would you believe! To be honest with really strong IDs like Near Earth Hub, it might actually be a little too good. Takes all the tension away from playing NBN, lol.

Looking forward to The Spaces Between, which should be out on this side of the Atlantic on Tuesday, if past releases are anything to go by. This is the release that's going to add in currents. I've played against one deck using them, and I was surprised to see how effective even Net Celebrity proved! I'm not sure I'll start carving out space in my own "A" decks right now, as I'm very happy with them, but I'm running a really mean Jinteki: Personal Evolution at the minute that would probably get off on playing Cerebral Static (the runner's text box is empty while the card is out, nullifying their unique power). There's also Sealed Vault, which looks like it'll be ridiculously good Account Siphon defence.

sealed-vault.png

So anyway, Gen Con's going on at the moment, and they've just announced the next big box is going to be called Order and Chaos and it'll focus on the Weyland and Anarch factions. I'm bloody glad too, as they definitely both need the most love at the minute.

Here are some of the spoilers:

edward-kim.png

human-first.png

gagarin-deep-space.png

high-risk-investment.png

satellite-grid.png

traffic-accident.png

• Upvote 1

And here's the rest:

ADN22-fan1.png

ADN22-fan2.png

ADN22-fan3.png

sub-boost.png

space-camp.png

glenn-station.png

itinerant-protesters.png

sub-boost.png

virus-breeding-ground.png

stim-dealer.png

Best of all though might be one of the partially spoiled cards, which appears to be an anarch ID with the ability "The Corp begins the game with one bad pub". Investigative Journalism up there is enough to make this seem crazily strong already, but with strong anarch tools like Deja Vu, Blackmail recursion is going to be a ridiculously powerful archetype. Also paritally spoiled is an event (?) which seems to bring back installed hardware or programs to your grip. Hey, Imp (not me), have another few trashes!

I'm also preposterously excited about Orion, a new unique piece of Weyland ice. It's Sentry, Code Gate and Barrier, costs 5 to rez and is 8 strength, but the rez cost is lowered by 3 for each advancement counter on it. The subs are 1: Trash 1 program, 2: Resolve one subroutine from another piece of rezzed ice, 3: End the run. I love this out of BWBI (finally a reason to play them!) and Blue Sun, hello money!

• Upvote 1

I've managed to convince one of the others at my regular gaming group to pick up a core set recently, so I'm hoping to have more opportunities to play this. I'm in the middle of sleeving Honor and Profit right this moment.

Oh rad, I hope he gets into it. There's nothing better than having regular IRL opponents to play against! It can be a little intimidating since the card pool is pretty massive now, but goddam if this isn't just the best 2 player tabletop game I've ever experienced. Also, I've actually really warmed to OCTGN in the past few months. The fact that you don't need to press an F key or use the right click to make a run (you can just double click the server icon of the server you want to run) was a bloody revelation to me!

• 3 months later...

I still play periodically, but I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably a bit too thick to play Netrunner properly. Most other cards games I play I can usually put together a decent deck and work out what's going on but with Netrunner I have no idea any more. There are so many different bits of ice and breakers that do pretty much the same thing in a subtly different manner I can't work out what I'm supposed to be using.

This is all likely because I only play periodically.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a fun game earlier today. My brother somehow didn't mulligan a corp hand with (supposedly) zero ice, then took his turn without pulling any more cards from the deck. Of course on my first click I ran straight at his unprotected R&D with maker's eye and pulled three agenda cards to win on the first click :lol:

He then proceeded to tell me I "didn't understand statistics" because I wouldn't let him insert a house rule to fix a "clear flaw in the game", even though he had an initial 5 card draw, a mulligan and three more card draws (not to mention potential cards which would allow him to draw more cards) with which to find an ice. :lol:

• 1 year later...

I have discovered a regular weekly group play it in a local game shop so I am likely to buy a core set imminently to join in the fun. I'm a bit scared though as I literally have only played it twice and the sheer quantity of cards and expansions is a bit daunting now.

• 1 month later...

Just had my first couple of games, against a friend who's learnt recently too, just got the core set. Was amazing fun! Played two games as Shaper against his Weyland.

First game I was feeling out the rules, got some cards down and won some points through running, but also got tagged. Instantly forgot about the tag, and within a couple of turns I was suddenly dead because of this. Harsh as fuck, but if there's a win on the table, you take it!

Second game was much longer, I managed to go 6-0 up somehow, just got lucky on a couple of runs. Then I hit a wall, because in building up a big arsenal of cards, I'd let him build a shitload of ice. He had a slot that was behind so many cards that he could just develop agendas slowly. I had one last chance: I'd earned loads of money from two of that day-job card, so on my turn I went straight at his R&D which was behind two cards. Got past it at a cost of 7, and I had enough to do it again, except with this. Figured it was my last chance to snatch a cheeky win! No agendas, didn't win. I was still chuffed with my crafty manoeuvre though.

Post-game analysis was that I didn't run nearly enough - my gut feeling was that I'd be vulnerable without a big spread of icebreakers, and I forgot that making him reveal things costs him money (he had so much money).

As I said my mate's got the core deck and he's really keen, but he's a bit nervous to go and join in places where everyone's got mega decks. I told him it's probably like Street Fighter and folks will be willing to play and teach. That's right, right? Sorry for not reading the whole thread, I'll do that now. Either way, we'll defo be having another session soon, I want to try as a corporation!

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Recently got into it with a friend of mine and just acquired a couple of data packs and a second core set cheaply, so diving in quite quickly. It is the most interesting game of its type that I know of and far easier to get into than for instance Magic. And unlike Hearthstone I can just play it with mates and not worry with the game-wide meta: I much prefer coming up with interesting decks on my own and slowly expand my insight into the game.

• 7 months later...

Anyone want to learn how to play this using Tabletop simulator? ive had one game as a runner which was great fun, but could do with some more experience and if anyone else wants to play it more, tabletop sim might be the best way.