Was - The Project Godus Thread. Now - The Official Molyneux Thread Of Lies!

Bojangle

I've been following the car crash development of this game on the Steam Forums. It all exploded a little while back when 22 Cans published a 'roadmap' which finally confirmed to the kickstarter backers and Steam Early Access purchasers that they weren't really working on the PC version and don't plan to for a while. Lots of rage-quitting followed.

In the meantime the iOS version soft launched in NZ. Pocket Gamer are about to do a live stream play test.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Twitch+news/news.asp?c=60068

• 1 month later...

You hit a wall about an hour in when the building mechanic changes to require farming (Field resources being on a 5 and a half hour cool down). neogaf are calling it the wheat wall. It's obviously been completely designed from scratch as a F2P iap ridden game though.

Could someone try it and see how it compares gameplay wise to the PC version?

PC one is just the mobile one compiled for PC with the shop removed.

Any idea why my followers won't build wood huts? They'll only build grass ones despite me unlocking the wood huts card. Do I need to build higher to get the better quality homes?

Imagine if you'd backed this and paid actual money, only to see it hit the shops as a F2P iOS game. I don't think F2P is evil or anything, and it can work pretty well when done properly, but fucking hell, I would feel like I'd been robbed if I'd paid to have a classic game Dungeon Keeper-ed like this.

Any idea why my followers won't build wood huts? They'll only build grass ones despite me unlocking the wood huts card. Do I need to build higher to get the better quality homes?

I haven't played it much at all, I've just been following the development via the Steam Forums.

I think you might have to put some stickers on the card for it to work.

The really frustrating thing is that without the EA level of epic timers and IAP begging this would actually be quite a nice game. As it is I have some significant issues.

1. You waste a lot of belief when the game misinterprets what you're trying to do when sculpting.

2. Things (Especially sculpting) cost far, far too much belief

3. Buildings store a small amount of belief in a fairly short period of time and then stop accumulating it. This encourages very regular play in a game that doesn't want you to play often without paying. A better solution would be to fill the buildings to a much higher level across a longer period. Regular players would still get their regular bursts of belief but less frequent players wouldn't lose out. If stuff didn't cost so much belief this would be less of an issue.

4. Things are very unclear. I've got a wooden hut card unlocked but I have no idea what the requirements are to build it. I *think* it's a rank 3 plot of which I have one but I have no idea how you can cause rank 3 plots to form

5. This early in the game it's far far to mountainous. It looks pretty but given how much it costs to sculpt you end up getting nothing at all done in a session.

6. The hay wall (wheat wall). You run smack into this within the first hour or so and it kills any and all sense of progress.

Currently if I collect belief from all my buildings at the same time I have about 3000 (Very roughly). Sculpting wise this is gone in less than 30 seconds. Creating one farming settlement costs 3000. If I want to get more efficiency I should really demolish all my early buildings and turn them into better building. However this would cost 200 belief each to demolish (Demolishing should be free and return a fraction of the worth of the building in belief) and to resculpt the land to make it suitable for bigger buildings (I think. It's unclear) would probably take me weeks to earn enough belief. If I want to expand my buildings further into the map instead it's so uneven that I'm looking at months of saving up belief to make significant inroads. Never mind the wheat cost. (A rank three plot takes 6 wheat per builder) *Edit* I also wasted shit loads of belief building up some space but it turns out I can't build that high up. No idea why or how high I can go currently which makes it even easier to waste belief.

Actually forget the EA comparison. This is actually worse than EA. Pete should be fucking ashamed of himself

Imagine if you'd backed this and paid actual money, only to see it hit the shops as a F2P iOS game. I don't think F2P is evil or anything, and it can work pretty well when done properly, but fucking hell, I would feel like I'd been robbed if I'd paid to have a classic game Dungeon Keeper-ed like this.

Imagine, if like me you'd backed it at a higher level which entitles you to not one, but TWO copies of the game!

I feel doubly special!

A few screenshots. The first is what the starting area eventually looks like. I figure it intends you to slowly convert your earliest dwellings into resource farms and the newest stuff as builders to help you expand. So as you can see I've started making farming villages (I've no idea what a builder village does for you long term but I think I unlock those next). Those fields generate very small amounts of wheat very slowly which instantly cripples your expansion speed.

IhcZoO0.png

But they didn't need to cripple your expansion speed. The sky high cost of sculpting does that. How are you supposed to expand from here

rO2CLLo.png

and here

byEGQ6H.png

Fucking hell. Some should print that out and shove it up his arse.

Choice quotes

Molyneux reckons he's cracked free-to-play. He says he's come up with an entirely new way to get your cash in upcoming strategy opus Godus, and it will apparently be "delightful".

Though you definitely shouldn't call it 'free-to-play' in front of him.

"There cannot be a term that is less true," he barks. "What we need is a new term. And that term is more like 'invest-to- play'. What really are we doing? We are tempting people to invest some of their money into a game."

He compares the current library of free-to-play mobile games to "taking a huge hammer and smashing our customers with it. We're saying: 'Be patient or pay money.' That's not a delightful mechanic. That's not going to get people to invest their money."

So, according to Molyneux, Godus will be the anti-Dungeon Keeper.

"We can't be so crude in making the first thing we teach people in these games how to speed things up by spending gems. That's absolutely insane."

Instead, there'll be monetisation in Godus "that hasn't existed before". And it will be as "fresh and as new and as different from anything you've ever seen in any game", he adds, in one of his now-typical promise-the-moon sales pitches.

For one, you won't be able to pay a penny in Godus until you're deemed ready.

"You've got to be subtle about it and slowly layer in those mechanics. The point we introduce monetisation depends on the player, and the game maker has to get you into the right mindset."

For some of these games it's a matter of getting into a specific routine of play time. For example with Simpsons Tapped Out (Essentially a virtual playset more than a game) I set a load of 8 hour tasks going after breakfast and then again when I get home from work. In Puzzle and Dragons play a set of level until you run out of energy and then come back again in a few hours (Or later). The best of these games tend be designed around the IAP being "nice additions" rather than required. Star Trek Online endgame can easily be played in a ship that costs 100k on the auction house (For reference 100k energy credits can easily be earned in a single mission. You basically need to sell something like 4 ship loot drops to a vendor. It's less than trivial) and yet they make an absolute mint selling ships.

Godus is a bit mixed up in that respect. Parts of it are designed to get you coming back very often (Belief regeneration) and others are designed to keep you away for long periods (wheat). It really needs to pick a specific design and stick with it. If I could do my 8 hour routine without feeling like I'd lost a load of potential belief (And I have) I'd be more forgiving of it and probably add it to my routine. Spending 15-20 minutes a couple of times a day sculpting some land, dropping some shrines, planting trees would be perfect for me feeling the progress. As it is if I played just twice a day I'd feel like I'd gotten almost nothing done due to all the belief I'd be missing out on. Even the long wheat timers wouldn't be show stoppers in that regard.

It's a different mindset for playing these games certainly but it doesn't make F2P broken. Just different. Games have to make the effort though.