rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Toops

Lobotomy Software Anniversary (1993-2013)

I only ever played the demo on the ps1, however in light of that review I picked up a copy for the saturn.

Just want to thank Droo, Grey Fox, SMD, Keyboard Koala, radlord and others for their support. Brian McNeely (Senior Executive Producer) was kind enough to post a picture of one of the members creating the Cobra Staff weapon (on the Facebook page recently), so thanks again guys - I at least know that I wasn't crazy lol. Hope everyone has a great New Year's and manages to play Death Tank at some point in their lives (https://www.youtube....h?v=noUFYvOH9j4) ;)

https://www.facebook...2&type=1&ref=nf

• Upvote 1

It was strange to find out that Lobotomy weren't too happy with the Saturn, given how skilled they were with it. I definitely remember at the time that everyone scoffed at the notion of a version of Quake running on the machine, let alone the best console version. Sega Saturn Magazine used to constantly champion them and I never felt disappointed. I picked up Quake again on the Saturn recently, need to sort out a new battery for the internal memory but it's rare I'd go for a console version of a PC game, no less an FPS.

No problem. Loved the video, exactly the kind of detailed, extensively researched and passionate sort of thing I like to see (and is sadly all too rare). Also nice to see the spotlight shone on one of the lesser known but massively talented developers. Happy New Year to you too :-)

Lobotomy were the heroes of the Saturn for me back in the day. Exhumed was and still is one of my favourite games of the 32 bit era and has aged pretty good, felt like a real adventure game and the metroidvania type gameplay blew my mind. The Duke and Quake ports were amazing as well.... I eagerly awaited what Lobotomy would come up with next and it never came, was saddened to read up about them on Wikipedia and find out they were killled of in '98. I would love a release of Exhumed on XBLA/PSN the definitive Saturn version though ...I played the PC version a few years back and it was a totally different and a bit shit.

Haha i remember doing that laser bit but on the ps1 (exhumed) but with fire instead. It's so vague in my mind but I remember it being really annoying and being located right around the end if the game. It might have been the only hidden item I got.

Really good game.

Very entertaining video; I remember a lot of that (though I never actually owned Exhumed/Powerslave) - even seeing the reviews of Saturn Doom which was apparently worse than the SNES/32X versions! I read Sega Saturn Magazine avidly and remember all of the featured pages in the video.

Only had a couple of issues with it.

The gameplay of Goldeneye and the PS1 version of Exhumed looked a little too good. Were they recorded via emulator? There were some shots of the PS1 version where I was wondering if it was recorded on PS3; this is quite important because PS1 games on the PS3 can look a lot better than they did on the original hardware (though, admittedly, it's probably a lot easier to record video from a PS3).

This often happens with retrospectives of this nature, but I wondered if there was a bit too much emotion expressed in the narrative. For example, mentioning that Sony were fearful or angry that a rival developer had got so much out of the Saturn, and certain business decisions were made with this in mind. Whilst it can be interesting to see companies like actors in a play, with emotional tirades and such, I doubt it's true. Sony might not have bought their version of Quake because of a vendetta - but it's far more likely that it was because Quake was never a very good single player game, which also explains why they ran straight onto Quake 2 (a far superior solo title). Additionally, whilst Lobotomy were certainly a talented bunch in certain respects (especially with how they got such good 3D perfomance out of the Saturn) it's like the video said - Exhumed was not a successful game financially, if critically. Publishers are in business to make money and an Edge 10 that makes no money is as much a failure as an Edge 5 that makes no money in their eyes.

However, I really enjoyed the video; I could tell it was made by someone with a lot of passion for the material, and it reminded me of the era of games journalism that I wish we could have back.

The Death Tank theme was superb (I got both Exhumed and Duke Nukem), even though I could only ever make out the words 'death tank' and 'money bank'. And listening to it now, that hasn't changed....

I bought saturn exhumed off ebay last year after finishing it many moons ago but I think the save cart on my saturn is corrupt and doesnt seem to save games properly (common problem?). Anyway I thought I would give SSF saturn emulator a go, I think last time I tried it you could just about run sega rally. It flawless and you can play the games direct from the saturn disc and with a 360 pad, pretty amazing on a big TV with AA enabled.

It makes you remember how good the CD audio was on this game. From what I recall each 'version' is unique, the saturn, powerslave on the PS had it's own level design as did Exhumed on the PC which I also have (not finished that yet. Treat them as mission packs :)

I bought saturn exhumed off ebay last year after finishing it many moons ago but I think the save cart on my saturn is corrupt and doesnt seem to save games properly (common problem?). Anyway I thought I would give SSF saturn emulator a go, I think last time I tried it you could just about run sega rally. It flawless and you can play the games direct from the saturn disc and with a 360 pad, pretty amazing on a big TV with AA enabled.

It makes you remember how good the CD audio was on this game. From what I recall each 'version' is unique, the saturn, powerslave on the PS had it's own level design as did Exhumed on the PC which I also have (not finished that yet. Treat them as mission packs :)

Bit off topic, but can you post some screens of Saturn games running at that res? I'd be curious to see them.