IGNORED

Dark Souls II - Prepare to Die, Again

Uzi

Dark Souls 1 is the best, yes, but solely because it has the best moments in the series. Unfortunately, it also has the worst. You can say what you want about DS2, but you can't deny that it's better mechanically and is a lot more consistent, quality wise, than its predecessor.

Dark Souls is one of the best games ever made, but fuck me if Lost Izalith etc. aren't beyond shite.

I'm not sure it is mechanically better. They've tweaked and added extra stats but just made you level up faster to compensate. They've added multiple new damage types since Demons - trickier to balance for them and the player. I prefered it simpler. Still not convinced the balance between single, two hand and dual weapon is right either - its nearly impossible to one shot anything. Poise seems incomprehensible this time. Some of it's neater but I'd take DS1.

Everyone goes on about Lost Izalith, but Demon Ruins is great fun - how many Taurus Demons? - Dukes is great until the Crystal Caves (which can be sprinted through) and New Londo is great fun to fight through and has a memorable boss. The DLC is really strong too. The end game is a tough weaker but still very very good.

Oh and the effort to completely balance everything is a fun sucker. It's much harder to get good weaponry / armour early if you know what you are doing in DS2, and the weapons top out reasonably early in the game. I've done a few great runs of DS smashing my way through it a tough overpowered for laughs. Now every patch nerfs stuff for PvP which I've zero interest in.

DS1 4 life.

Well, after seeing both games super cheap (£26 for both of them), I've got my fourth copy of DS and my first copy of DSII. I was planning to see if I got on with 2 better but on a whim I decided to watch a few beginners guides and read a bit about the stats and give the first one one final try. And you know what? I'm in :) Just beaten the two gargoyles on the roof. I'll drop back in here if I ever make it to this one.

Right I have played Dark Souls and really enjoyed it up until I got to that boss thats in the water. I got bored and then sold it.

Now, I have Demon Souls and was thinking of starting with that and trying to play through it but is it worth just jumping straight to DS2?

Advice needed before I waste my life away.

I'd take "nearly impossible to one shot anything" as a good thing though. Dancing around an enemy that previously killed you in seconds is one of the best things about the series.

Different playstyle. I want to hit the buttons as little as possible, because less inputs means less mistakes. I want the option to trade for a kill. I dont care if the weapons are slow. My favourite thing is knowing the speed of an enemy, their likely first attack and the speed of a weapon ams being able to take them out as they run to me. There is buhger all difference to me between 51% energy off and 99% energy off. It's all about how many hits you need to take an enemy out.

DS2 almoat wants to force you into doing the low armour, dance round everything playstyle that you need if you want to be a super high level player and make videos. Some enemies have infinite poise. But I'm not going to be good enough or have enough time to do that. DS1 lets me vary my play style a lot easier than DS2.

I decided to park this for a while. I realised I had Demon's Souls still to play properly so sat down and had a decent go at it. Having played Dark Souls, though not to completion, Demon's feels great to get into and will keep me more than happy till we get a complete release of DS2. Hell, I may even get back to Dark Souls now I am obviously understanding the mechanics a lot better.

Quick nerd lore question for people who've played all of both games:

Does this mention what Age it takes place in? I know that Drangelic is in the same world (though possibly not the same exact location) as Lordran, but much later. Does it clarify whether the game is taking place as the Age of Fire is ending again after the chosen undead extended it or does it take place in the Age of Dark?

I believe the presence of bonfires implies that the Chosen Undead linked the fire. Although to be honest, I don't think the lore for DSII was anywhere near as well thought out as the first one, so in many cases looking for links between the two games is pointless.

To be fair there is still a lot of that in DSII, from certain souls and an item that you find early on has direct links back to the first game. The lore is there if you want to look for it and I like the way From Software don't explicitly state a story but elude to certain facts or event.

Possible worth watching something like this once you have been through the game once

New edition coming to current gen:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-25-dark-souls-2-heading-to-ps4-and-xbox-one

"The PC, PS4 and Xbox One versions will feature updated visuals, rebalanced gameplay, a higher maximum number of players in online games, additional and more challenging enemies, a new NPC to locate, 'expanded lore' and new in-game events."

The release date seems odd though. Why not delay it a few months to give Bloodborne plenty of breathing space? Unless this means Bloodborne will be delayed further into 2015?

Also, what are the odds that my PS3 cloud save will work on the PS4 version?

The release date seems odd though. Why not delay it a few months to give Bloodborne plenty of breathing space? Unless this means Bloodborne will be delayed further into 2015?

Also, what are the odds that my PS3 cloud save will work on the PS4 version?

I doubt the release of this new DkS2 version will impact Bloodbourne much, though I do think releasing it AFTER Bloodbourne is probably going to cost DkS2: Championship Edition a fair few sales..

Can't help but feel the reaction to selling a special edition with the actual graphics it was advertised with would have been different if it were any other series.

To be honest even that new next-gen trailer doesn't seem to be upto the same visual standard as the original DS2 footage, the fire/lighting/particle effects were the main things to be downgraded and they all seem largely identical.