IGNORED

Dark Souls II - Prepare to Die, Again

Uzi

Well, funnily enough I went back to that thread after I replayed it. Second time around I had zero problems with the controls, so I guess my Wiimote plus was dodgy first time around. It's still an amazing 10 hour game drowning in 40 hours of turd though. There are actually living breathing people who have convinced themselves they enjoyed the tadtones area :mellow:

But yeah, Dark Souls 2. It's not just me, the netcode is actually fucked. Good old P2P PVP eh.

Sign into game. Before my character has even loaded and my screen has even filled with image it plays the "invaded by" noise. Person appears, immediately falls off a ladder, warps from the bottom of the ladder to behind me and backstabs me for an instant kill, makes the mock gesture.

I'm hollow, incidentally. I'm invaded about every ten mins whilst hollow.

My sin level is 0.

Decided enough was enough, went to do the last boss, once again killed her in 10 seconds without moving or taking damage. I just stood on the spot pressing RB until she died.

Then the credits rolled and they said "Dark Souls: Scholar of the first sin" even though I only have the vanilla edition :lol: wtf FROM.

It's funny :lol:

I'm not wound up, I'm just laughing at it. But I'm also terrified Bloodborne is going to disappoint too.

Anyhow, I forgot I hadn't killed the rat boss too. Says it all about DS1 vs DS2 really. Dark Souls 1 has a beautiful white wolf with a legendary greatsword in his jaws, leaping around an interesting terrain, which slowly gets less effective as he weakens and becomes injured as he fails to protect the grave of the long-dead Artorias, which makes you feel absolutely terrible, echoing Shadow of the colossus. Dark Souls 2 copies and pastes the moveset onto a rat model they've blown up by 800% until it looks terrible, then puts it in a square room with grey walls and a grey floor. Then goes "whoops, this fight sucks" then shrugs and pastes a few small shit rats in without much thought. Still shit? I know, arbitrarily stop the player from summoning in that area! Job done and onto the next. Half the game feels like walking through a poundshop and laughing at brazenly copied (but infinitely inferior) off-brand tat.

Psssssh off-brand rat :lol:

bust1.gif

Finished now, nothing left to do.

I've played Dark Souls 2 for 214 hours, twice as many hours as the next longest-serving person in the Muk group, Curtis, and I can confidently declare it a waste of time. Close the thread!

I've played this for over 170 hours; am I not in that steam group?

I understand all your complaints about this Moz, but I don't think you need to worry about bloodborne - that's being made by the proper people at From, the guys who did Demons and Dark 1, it's in good hands!

I really hope so. I remember the GAF thread where someone with way too much time (lol, 214 hours) went through all the end credits to prove Dark Souls 2 was a b-team effort because everyone else was working on what turned out to be Bloodborne.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807289

You cannot play a game for more than 30 hours, let alone 214, and then claim you hate it. Stockholm Syndrome doesn't exist with videogames.

I don't hate it, I think it's rubbish and disappointing.

I've played Dark Souls 2 for 214 hours, twice as many hours as the next longest-serving person in the Muk group, Curtis, and I can confidently declare it a waste of time. Close the thread!

My hours on the PC version account for less than 10% of my DS2 playtime. I agree, thoroughly disappointing! ;)

I have an understanding wife who likes to watch sitcom reruns and knit while I play games, we don't do much in the week, no kids, jobs that we leave at the office. I can get away with spending a whole weekend cursing at a screen as long as I make sure to spend some quality time with her the following weekend. It's all about surprises, she doesn't mind if I'm tediously predictable half the time as long as I make the effort to do new things together regularly. I don't really feel guilty for playing games for hours, I still balance it with a social life and other hobbies somehow. My lack of effort to improve my health is a concern though, I need to lose my fourth chin at the very least.

My completionist tendencies mean I have to buy this at some point, but I can't decide whether to go PS3 or PS4. The PS4 version will obviously be better, but the PS3 feels like the home of the Souls series (and it's obviously where I have Demons and Dark), and I'm actually leaning that way...

OCD is a bitch.

My completionist tendencies mean I have to buy this at some point, but I can't decide whether to go PS3 or PS4. The PS4 version will obviously be better, but the PS3 feels like the home of the Souls series (and it's obviously where I have Demons and Dark), and I'm actually leaning that way...

OCD is a bitch.

Dude. Get the PS4 version! I got the PS3 version at launch, but migrated asap to the PC version because the performance of the PS3 version is super flakey, tbh. Sub 30fps a lot of the time. And that feels bad in a game where combat is so important!

Plus the PS4 version has higher player count and 'remixed' / originally intended enemy layouts.. It'll be the 'director's cut' edition.

Most importantly you get all the DLC chucked in, so whilst I didn't love any of it, there's at least a lot of content for your money. At 1080p/60.

I'll get negged for this but I originally bought the PS3 version and simply couldn't play it because it ran so poorly. I genuinely found I couldn't get used to the combat with the game chugging and jerking so much. And I didn't have problems with DeS or DS on last gen.

The Digital Foundry videos show the framerate frequently dipping into the 20s during combat for a moment, which totally throws off the pace of the action. You can't even pan the camera smoothly when it's swinging wildly between 20fps and 40fps.

Dark Souls II on PC? (My laptop absolutely kills it at 1080p/60fps, I was shocked)

or

Bloodborne on a borrowed PS4? (with added hype)

I only have time for one game. Please help me decide, I've never played Souls before.

Personally, a huge part of the souls games is sharing experiences and hype with others. Go for bloodborne, enjoy that release day feeling, then play ds2 after. And if bloodborne turns out to be crap, ds2 extra special edition is out a few days later. Win win!