IGNORED

Dark Souls II - Prepare to Die, Again

Uzi

Oh, is that what the mask does! If it's the one you mean, I think I've got it.

Pharros?

It's fun that we're all at roughly the same spot. That spiral staircase with the NPC phantom was a nightmare. However, I soon realised that you can avoid aggroing him by just going straight down the stairs, dealing with what's down there, and then killing him on the way back up.

700 damage?! Wow! I was feeling pretty smug with my +5 craftsmans hammer doing 300 damage...

It that with an infusion or using a resin?

It's infused, and upgraded to +5.

It also knocks most human-sized enemies to the ground, meaning you can hit them again as they get up.

Also, what are you guys' favourite options for bows in this? I'm rocking a Sea Bow which I've had near the start and got pretty well upgraded now - I originally chose to upgrade it over the other options I had at the time, purely because it had the highest damage - but are there other bows I should be keeping an eye out for now I'm further into the game?

A Sea Bow? Never saw that.

I've just been using a +7 Longbow for ages. Every time I find chunks I forget to upgrade it and spend them elsewhere.

I had upgraded my strength just to use the Dragon Tooth but never upgraded the tooth itself as I found it doesn't suit how I like to play (i.e. I always get caught greedily attempting a second hit) but have had plenty of fun flattening regular enemies on the way to bosses.

My best anti boss tool for the last third of the game has definitely been the Craftsman's Hammer as it hits pretty hard and is also pretty fast but, even after getting in 2 or 3 hits, I am left me with enough stamina to roll a few times. Other than that I am still getting good value from the +10 firesword and I've made an excellent Yogi Bear spear from one of the boss souls. which has proven handy in Brune Tower. I had to look up where to find the blacksmith who upgrades souls weapons in the end or would never have found her...

I didn't get time to have another go at Fume Knight last night but will have a crack at him later..

Ah, interesting.

I got all the loot in Iron Keep already. Just douse yourself in water from those pots.

Edit: Sexton!!!

I had upgraded my strength just to use the Dragon Tooth but never upgraded the tooth itself as I found it doesn't suit how I like to play (i.e. I always get caught greedily attempting a second hit) but have had plenty of fun flattening regular enemies on the way to bosses.

Yep, and that's totally what's happening to me with the current boss I'm on.

It's got a definite Artorias vibe, or even King Allant from Demon's Souls.

The large jars & pools of water that are sitting everywhere around Iron Keep raise your fire resistance enough to do a few runs for those items.

Ah, interesting.

I got all the loot in Iron Keep already. Just douse yourself in water from those pots.

Edit: Sexton!!!

The water was never enough for me, I'd die before opening even reaching the loot :(

I think I might have doubled up with Flash Sweat, rings etc, but I'm pretty sure the water makes you almost immune to the fire. I was standing on the lava at one point and my HP was barely going down.

Ways to increase Fire Defense Method Increase Being wet 300 Dispelling Ring 60/120 Flame Quartz Ring 50/75/100/150 Dragon Tooth 50 Magic Barrier 150 Iron Flesh 200 Great Magic Barrier 250 Flash Sweat 300 Small Orange Burr 150 Pharros Mask +10 14 + 100 from effect Penal Mask +5 50 Chaos Robe +5 110 Penal Handcuffs +5 53 Chaos Boots +5 85 Other Armor Pieces Varies Intelligence and Faith See Chart Below

So do we think Drangelic is Lordran? The matter seems highly undecided on the internet, with seemingly blatant pointers in the game both towards yes and no answers.

Personally I think the whole setup is supposed to be some sort of afterlife deal, although that doesn't seem to get discussed much. But there's lots in both games (but particularly 2) which makes me think the whole thing is supposed to be some sort of Hell. The fact people appear there without knowing why, the way you can die over and over and keep coming back, and then the fact that the rest of the world outside of the gameplay area seems to be fire and brimstone.

My understanding was Drangelic was built on Lordran (with the possibility of other civilisations existing in between). Been replaying the Scholar of the First Sin version, just unpetrified Straid who's dialogue says something to that effect, his wiki starts 'Straid spent several lifetimes as stone. During this hiatus, kingdoms rose and fell, until the land called Drangleic came to be.'

I think I might have doubled up with Flash Sweat, rings etc, but I'm pretty sure the water makes you almost immune to the fire. I was standing on the lava at one point and my HP was barely going down.

Ways to increase Fire Defense

Method

Increase

Being wet

Dispelling Ring

60/120

Flame Quartz Ring

50/75/100/150

Dragon Tooth

Magic Barrier

Iron Flesh

Great Magic Barrier

Flash Sweat

Small Orange Burr

Pharros Mask +10

14 + 100 from effect

Penal Mask +5

Chaos Robe +5

Penal Handcuffs +5

Chaos Boots +5

Other Armor Pieces

Varies

Intelligence and Faith

See Chart Below

I only have a fraction of all that stuff. At the moment (without that gear) I can't even reach the loot near the first bonfire without burning to death. Even when wet I can only last 3 or 4 seconds on lava...

The Alonne captain armour also gives you huge fire resistance.

I have that though so will try later.

You've got another boss first. :)

And yes, it's awesome.

Mike, what about buying sim Small Orange Burrs too? Or you could attune Flash Sweat.

I'll use some ornate burrs as I've not really used anything that I've picked up so other other than a couple of bombs and a few lightning and fire buffs. If that loot is so hard to reach then it must be worth having!

I don't know if I have the Sweat, I've not attuned anything at all...

I think the Petrified lady you rescued will sell you Flash Sweat.

You can always redistribute your exp points back at the Firekeeper's cottage if you don't have enough faith. I've done that three or four times now. Make sure you take a screen cap of your stats first though, and that you have a spare Soul Vessel to change them back.

The DLC bosses tend to have delayed attacks which tend to make them harder to learn and dodge attacks. They definitely not cute kittens :P

Absolutely.

My first few attempts at Fume Knight the other day gave me the impression that he was going to be beaten in relatively short order as per the straightforward Sunken King bosses. However, I must have gotten lucky on those attempts as it then took me a long time, working his movesets out pre- and post buff, before taking him down. Just when I was comfortable with what I thought was his whole repertoire the would throw in a new move, or add a slight delay to a big hit, and I'd be gone. Again.

But he was another brilliant boss and, like the final Sunken King boss one that really got the adrenaline pumping as the risk of mis-timing a roll, or sneaking an estus at the wrong moment, was another death. As ever though patience was the real key so I had to settle for just one or two hits from my little craftsman's hammer before getting out of the way. The clanging of the hammer on armour is very satisfying indeed and it is to tempting to string three or even four together but that rarely paid off...

I am now working through the Memory...

I spent about 4hrs on Fume Knight before taking him down. I kept getting him down to a sliver of health loads of times, but then got cocky or too excited & fluffed it.

Then I went into Sir Alonne cold & fluffed my way through him, used all my Estus a few LifeGems & he went down on my first go! Kind of a shame as its a fight I would have enjoyed a few attempts at I think.

Interested to hear how you get on there. The run back to the boss is pretty arduous.

Alonne is a handful. I am finding it very hard to even get a hit on him, even going very light and very rolly he is hard to dodge and even harder to hit.

The journey there is a pain as it's not hard so much hard as it is annoying having to work through all those knights to reach the fog door. Only to then die in less than a minute. So I'm going to give that a break and head back to the Iron Passage which seems equally as irritating to work through and, although reaching it, I've not entered the fog door down there yet so, if the other Brume bosses are anything to go by I suspect that will be a challenge too. I'm in no rush though as I only have the wintry castle left after finishing up in Brume Tower..

Yep, same here, although my last go I started to get the timing right for him, so I think I'm fairly close to beating him. He is much faster than any other boss in the game, but I've found that sticking very, very close to him, and only hitting him once each time seems to work. He has some proper bitch moves though, where you think he's finished his combo and then he pulls another hit out of the bag.

As for the runback, you can run past nearly everything once you learn the route, but you still have to stop and kill that one salamander before the drop down. However, you can still get killed really easily, so I decided to just kill them all each time (if in the way), and I'm now benefitting from de-spawns, so it'll get easier.

As for the Iron Passage...Oh man, you're in for such a nasty surprise there!

The thing about the run back there is that equip burden spell you get constantly hit with. So annoying! If you want a tip, there's a sort of shortcut if you use that lever you come across a couple of rooms into the Iron Passage. My tip? Be quick...