IGNORED

Dark Souls II - Prepare to Die, Again

Uzi

@APM don't let these guys confuse you too much with talk of adaptability. Yes, it's a stat you can upgrade to make it easier to roll through things but it is by no means essential.

Just play it blind. You know the drill by now. You'll do just fine! 

You playing og version or scholar? Either way, it's a fucking massive game. 

I hope you enjoy it, it's got some good adventures waiting for you! 

I agree on the principle, but I would say it is quite important because of the build he's planning on. Nobody would ever level up ADP without knowing what it's for, but without it, DS2 is a much harder game to roll through than anything else in the series. The base stats for i-frames are much lower than you'd be used to from BB and DS1. 

6 hours ago, Stanshall said:

I agree on the principle, but I would say it is quite important because of the build he's planning on. Nobody would ever level up ADP without knowing what it's for, but without it, DS2 is a much harder game to roll through than anything else in the series. The base stats for i-frames are much lower than you'd be used to from BB and DS1. 

Give me a chance to test it out. I've basically just walked out the hut and lit the first bonfire. 

I did play a chunk when it first came out but just got my ass handed to me. I don't remember much of it, so it'll be fairly new to me. 

6 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

You can also change the ladder slide button to how it was in DS1, which is what I did. Same with “jumping”.

In the game options, I can only see an option to change the jump, which I've done. Nothing about ladders. 

54 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Oh, maybe I’ve misremembered sorry.

No worries. Just sent me searching through all the options. I'll get used to it again. 

Anyway, played for 3 hrs or so. Leveled up a bit, got the blacksmith working, made it to the other side of the first area, at a fog gate near a large sword that was an obvious trap. 

I’m wondering if that giant sword trap was a Scholar addition. I listened to the Bonfireside Chat episode about that area, from when the original version of Dark Souls 2 came out, and they never mentioned the ambush despite talking about how cool the sword was. I got ganked on it, yet barley managed to survive :) 

Right. 

Spoiler

That's the first two bosses done. One giant who got chopped at the feet and a floating Knight who got whittled away to nothing.

Found some nice armour, leveled my sword up, estus flask at 3 and now been whisked off by a bird to some twilight place. 

10 hours ago, APM said:

Right. 

Hide contents

That's the first two bosses done. One giant who got chopped at the feet and a floating Knight who got whittled away to nothing.

Found some nice armour, leveled my sword up, estus flask at 3 and now been whisked off by a bird to some twilight place. 

You're not far behind me, I've not played for over a week as I got back into No Mans Sky (playing it with my partner).

I think that's what I'll do today

Right, a quick update, I've gotten to the bonfire at No-Mans Wharf (which is a nice little coincidence considering my previous post), had a quick explore of the area

there's more enemies than Heides Tower of Flames but they're much much easier. 

However, I should I go back and defeat the dragon at Heides Tower before continuing here?

You don’t actually have to beat that dragon at Heides, although it helps clear the way towards a nice little DS1 callback, which is worth seeing if you like the sound of that. Ultimately though it’s a dead end, but also opens up some covenant bizness. You could feasibly even just run past the dragon to access the cool DS1 thing anyway, depending on your dodging skills and jammyness? I personally couldn’t, but someone else might be capable? :lol:

No Man’s Wharf is the critical path and one of the coolest places in the game for me. Enjoy! :) 

Is the lock on a bit... Broken in this? Far too often ill be locked in to someone then suddenly just attack in a completely different direction. No other enemy there, just turn and attack somewhere else. Happens with throwing knives as well. Locked on, fire them in some random direction. Considering the difficulty in these games, it's getting very annoying as it happens with both normal enemies and bosses. 

Anyway, I've made it to some dark wharf area. 

18 minutes ago, APM said:

Is the lock on a bit... Broken in this? Far too often ill be locked in to someone then suddenly just attack in a completely different direction. No other enemy there, just turn and attack somewhere else. Happens with throwing knives as well. Locked on, fire them in some random direction. Considering the difficulty in these games, it's getting very annoying as it happens with both normal enemies and bosses. 

Anyway, I've made it to some dark wharf area. 

No, it's intentional. There's a setting you can disable in the settings of it bothers you too much. 

But basically, with larger weapons, you can override the lock on by pressing a direction while attacking. It's kind of useful, because when surrounded you can aim swings with a great sword etc while still keeping locked. 

If you consciously make sure not to press directions while attacking you'll swing at your locked target. 

Yeah, I can't see a setting to amend it. Ah well. I'll crack on. 

Spoiler

Dark wharf area done and boss beaten. I'm off on a boat and ended up back at the Lost Bastille. 

Teleported home with lots of souls and stuff for upgrades.