IGNORED

Dark Souls II - Prepare to Die, Again

Uzi

After watching that hbomber guy's defence of DS2 I have to say I really feel like playing it again. I played it to completion once on release and played around a bit with scholar but it feels like ages ago. At the time I enjoyed it but felt it wasn't as good as DS1, but thinking back I have a lot more fond memories of DS2 than I thought. Time to reinstall! 

2 hours ago, APM said:

I'm not sure I'm enjoying this very much. I'm up to the Iron Keep, or whatever its called, and it just feels like a rambling, scattershot... I don't want to say mess, but there feels very little cohesion. I look back at DS1 and I get the whole verticality of it with the heavenly locale at the top and hell at the bottom and the poor undead stuck in the middle. It felt well considered and conceived. This has none of that. Its like a series of locations slapped together to make a game. 

You’re not wrong at all, I completely agree, but - DS2 makes up for the lack of cohesion and intricacy with sheer generosity. It’s a huuuuge game, and it gets better as it goes on, unlike (IMO) DS1. 

Also, like all Fromsoft games it seems, the DLC is superb. 

I'll keep going then. I just killed the Smelter Demon and rested at the bonfire afterwards. I'm also not a fan of pointless dead ends that just end at a boss. The cathedral and that undead place so far. Oh, and the mechanics they changed, like your health being less each time you die or starting with 1 estus flask... Fuck's sake. 

32 minutes ago, APM said:

I'll keep going then. I just killed the Smelter Demon and rested at the bonfire afterwards. I'm also not a fan of pointless dead ends that just end at a boss. The cathedral and that undead place so far. Oh, and the mechanics they changed, like your health being less each time you die or starting with 1 estus flask... Fuck's sake. 

Rather than being a web like DS1 & Bloodborne, DS2's layout is essentially a central hub with four giant spokes coming out of it, so you've got a bit more of that to come but the second half unlocks some new areas in the the centre.

3 hours ago, APM said:

I think nothing comes close to BB. The way you start in Yarnham, but the real hub is Cathedral Ward and how the regions flow so perfectly from one to the next, tied by geography and story, is almost flawless. 

Totally agree. And that route back to the clinic is amazing. But that DS1 map - it’s a work of art, quite literally

D12C4EAD-E97A-4CCD-ACA9-269FFA5C3DBA.thumb.jpeg.85c4ad54af7daf5fdd78a6344af2201d.jpeg

Someone did a 3D map viewer too:

My wife finished this last night. I didn't realise Peter Serafinowicz was in it. Also the old dotty dear from ITVs Vicious is the old lady at the second bonfire in The Forest of Giants. She's also one of the hooded women at the very start. Oh and the young woman from Netfix's recent series The Stranger is the cat in Majula.

The missus started NG plus but found it too balls hard. She's started another run as another class. I'm still trying to kill the bastard Fume Knight. I can do his first phase in my sleep but that second phase is kicking my knob end in.

1 hour ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

My wife finished this last night. I didn't realise Peter Serafinowicz was in it.

Yeah, always cool to hear him. I remember an interview from around launch where he'd basically asked to be in it, I believe. He's a massive Dark Souls fan. 

One of my favourite pieces of Dark Souls II trivia is that Burial — a pioneer of dubstep — once delayed a long-awaited album with the message (paraphrasing): "sorry for delaying this but dark souls 2 is about to come out so i really am going to have to play that a lot"

Legend.

16 hours ago, Sane said:

After watching that hbomber guy's defence of DS2 I have to say I really feel like playing it again. I played it to completion once on release and played around a bit with scholar but it feels like ages ago. At the time I enjoyed it but felt it wasn't as good as DS1, but thinking back I have a lot more fond memories of DS2 than I thought. Time to reinstall! 

I love that video!  I do enjoy matt matosis' stuff, but he's dry as fuck and it was quite entertaining watching Harry pull his criticism to pieces. :D

38 minutes ago, APM said:

Anyway, that's the iron keep done and the second of the great souls attained. Not sure where to go next. Might go and see if anything had changed in the woods past the Scottish guy. 

You need an item to clear the way to the woods.  You've likely picked one up by now but not noticed.  :) 

38 minutes ago, robdood said:

You need an item to clear the way to the woods.  You've likely picked one up by now but not noticed.  :) 

You mean the branch? If so, I've used those all over the place on the statues. I got to a bonfire with three ways onwards. Two ended at doors that needed souls or something, the other was very foggy. 

6 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Actually, it wasn’t The Gutter that I completely hated. It was the next bit, the Black Gulch. I appreciated its blacklight neon green carnival haunted house aesthetic, but those spitting statues can spit on ma dick :angry:

Yeah, that bit was balls. And you do have to go back there for a fairly big secret, as you say.

On 31/07/2020 at 12:08, Ozzy Womandias said:

One of my favourite pieces of Dark Souls II trivia is that Burial — a pioneer of dubstep — once delayed a long-awaited album with the message (paraphrasing): "sorry for delaying this but dark souls 2 is about to come out so i really am going to have to play that a lot"

Legend.

He must have had the same problem with Bloodborne, Dark Souls III and Sekiro too as he hasn’t released an album since 2007 ;)

24 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

The main thought that always occurs to me during The Gutter is "Who the fuck built this and why?". It feels like a big Jenga puzzle. Remove one plank of wood and the whole thing will come crashing down.

Yes - I remember enjoying exploring it far more than PS3 Blight Town, but in retrospect Blight Town has a cast iron (well - rickety plank) reason to exist in the way it does, and where it does. The Gutter does not - it’s just there like that because...?  

It’s kind of a perfect example of the difference between the two games really. 

14 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Yes - I remember enjoying exploring it far more than PS3 Blight Town, but in retrospect Blight Town has a cast iron (well - rickety plank) reason to exist in the way it does, and where it does. The Gutter does not - it’s just there like that because...?  

It’s kind of a perfect example of the difference between the two games really. 

I respectfully disagree. The Gutter is clearly one mans lunatic vision. It's incomplete and dilapidated but the framework of a town made entirely of wood is still there. I'm fascinated by how long it has stood considering the state of it's inhabitants.