IGNORED

Dark Souls II - Prepare to Die, Again

Uzi

You win at having an opinion.

EDGE has the "exclusive" information. I await what that information has to say before I form an opinion about the game based on that information. Definitely not a "sale" or "no sale", it is merely a tentative opinion. If that information tickles my interest, perhaps a pre-order shall be placed (at a mate who own his own indie game store). If it does not tickle my interest, I shall postpone a possible pre-order.

Also, they should probably move encumbrance from END to STR and have DEX confer some kind of movement bonus.

Apparently spell casting already gets a very slight speed boost when dex hits 45... plenty of pvp vids are claiming this but never really noticed a difference myself. I like the idea that dex speeds up all you actions by a fraction of a sec for every 20/25 lvl's of dex though.

DEX affects cast time (or the glove at least on the video I saw) but I've never seen any evidence it affects normal weaponry.

They either need to move the speed / roll bonus to the actual armour classes, or give every stat some sort of side effect otherwise it becomes unbalanced like END in DS. I'd favour the latter as it means different playstyles.

EDGE has the "exclusive" information. I await what that information has to say before I form an opinion about the game based on that information. Definitely not a "sale" or "no sale", it is merely a tentative opinion. If that information tickles my interest, perhaps a pre-order shall be placed (at a mate who own his own indie game store). If it does not tickle my interest, I shall postpone a possible pre-order.

Make sure to keep us updated about that potential pre-order, mate.

Seriously, for some people it's as if the act of buying a game (sorry, PRE-buying it) is actually more important than the game itself. You see an announcement trailer and first thing you think is whether to pre-order it or not? Get out of here.

I'm delighted by this news, anyway. Part of me wishes it'd be a next gen game, because I'd love to see what they could do with more power at their disposal, but I can understand why they want to play it safe. Also means we're likely to get it sometime next year.

I always find this weird compulsion to pre-order every major game for its release day pretty mystifying. There's no harm in waiting for the reviews, or even for the price to drop after a couple of months (if it's not a CoD or Halo with a multiplayer half life of a year).

Or you could try out some of the games you missed.

I always find this weird compulsion to pre-order every major game for its release day pretty mystifying. There's no harm in waiting for the reviews, or even for the price to drop after a couple of months (if it's not a CoD or Halo with a multiplayer half life of a year).

Or you could try out some of the games you missed.

Sometimes you get pretty decent voucher/money off codes from some online retailers and you get pre order bonuses that you can usually sell for a decent buck on ebay (this is how Black Ops II ending costing me about £5). If the reviews come out and they're crap, you can cancel.

As long as it's still dark Souls then win. No need for next gen. It's not like they exhausted the power of the current consoles. They don't write the best optimised code in the world but that doesn't matter. New people on board might be a good thing.

Hmm, I hope it's not too accessible. Seeing a beautiful woman in the trailer was a bit worrying, Souls games are about gruff beardy men and horrible witches.

The best thing about missing half of what the game had to offer on my first runthrough was that I got to enjoy it again. And again and again.

I think the Souls audience is now so niche and established they'd be crazy to toy with a winning formula and turn the series into another Ninja Gaiden.

Having said that I am inexplicably nervous about this game, only because I just adore the franchise so much and it means so much to me. It's given me my favourite video game locations, characters and moments of a lifetime so I think I'm justified to feel this way.

I hope they don't fuck it up but it's still great news. I will be watching updates on this like a fucking hawk.

DARK SOULS 2 OMG

Well....

Maybe they changed the name from "Demon's Souls" to "Dark Souls" to make it more palatable to the American market (they wanted to avoid crowds of placard-bearing outraged right-wingers outside Gamestop, and Daily Mail articles). It appears to have been successful enough to hit 360, PS3 and eventually PC and go on to get funding for a sequel.

You're right that there is a very very strong niche audience who continues to enjoy the Demon's/Dark Souls formula, but with anything that involves more glitz, bigger environments, more FMV, and female love-interests, there comes a significant cost of development. The only way to recoup this cost is by selling more units. The only way to sell more units is to broaden the game's appeal, standing on the shoulders of the previous games' critical and commercial successes.

I'm not claiming now that they're going to mess it up, or "ignore the hardcore", as we've seen nothing of the game. But, just be aware that changes are likely to be made to the formula, and we don't yet know what they are or how they'll be implemented. I suspect that the online components will feature highly in the list of improvements and we'll see what happens there. Possibly dropping the anonymity of co-op and making tighter friends list integration (I'm sure Microsoft and Sony have asked for this as it's their key selling point for online). Maybe some sort of online meta-game expanding on world tendency?

They changed the name from "Demon's Souls" to "Dark Souls" to make it more palatable to the American market

I thought they changed the name because Demon's was licensed solely to Sony wheras Dark allowed them to go multiformat?

With regards to accessibility, it could be taken in a lot of different ways I guess. Perhaps expanding on the plot a little more than a few scenes and snatches of semi-lucid conversations with npcs. Or it could be that they bow to the (to me, ridiculous) pressure and include an easy mode so as to not rustle anyone's jimmies.

Regardless, I don't care; the name alone makes me want to see more about how it's shaping up and what horrors are instore for me next.

Hmm, I hope it's not too accessible. Seeing a beautiful woman in the trailer was a bit worrying, Souls games are about gruff beardy men and horrible witches.

Except for that bird with the knockers after the chuckle brothers. :eyebrows:

Currently playing Dark Souls for the first time and bloody loving it so I'm really pleased that there's going to be some more. Despite being grateful for all the info that's available, I kinda feel like I'm missing out by not being in the first wave of players discovering everything together.