rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

Don't Starve - New Roguelike-like by Klei Entertainment

489697046.jpg

By Klei Entertainment

Release date: March 2013

ABOUT

Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic.

Play as Wilson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home.

Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures, dangers, and surprises. Gather resources to craft items and structures that match your survival style. Play your way as you unravel the mysteries of this strange land.

Uncompromising Survival & World Exploration:

No instructions. No help. No hand holding. Start with nothing and craft, hunt, research, farm and fight to survive.

Constant Updates:

Join an active community that is helping to shape the game for release! Provide feedback and joint discussions with the community and developers.

Dark and Whimsical Visuals:

2D characters and odd creatures inhabiting a unique 3D world.

Randomly Generated New Worlds:

Want a new map? No problem! At any time you can generate a new living and breathing world that hates you and wants you to die.

IMAGES

DS_04.png

DS_03.png

DS_02.png

DS_01.png

VIDEOS

Giant Bomb - Quick Look

The video that first made me aware of the game in the first place. Well worth a watch.

This has come out of nowhere for me and jumped all the way to the top of my wishlist on Steam. You can currently buy it on Steam to gain access to the beta version which, I imagine, will also grant access to the full game once that's out. It looks very promising from what I've seen so far!

This actually looks quite novel but as soon as it's out, make a Mark of the Ninja sequel pls.

In fact, balls to that, Klei, please phone up IO tell to stop being silly and let you make a 2D Hitman.

Ah man this sounds great. Something you need to be there at the start for though, as within days there'll be a wiki full of info.

Those first hours figuring it out will be amazing though :)

Haven't bought the full game yet as I don't have much gaming time at the moment, but I'm really enjoying watching this series on it. It's A really comprehensive look at everything in the game, aswell as a good survival guide

He's 10 episodes in, doing roughly 3 days per episode and hasn't died yet.

My first attempt had me die on the fourth day. Just couldn't find anything to eat! Damn rabbits didn't go for my trap either. Curses!

How do you do that?

Once you set the trap, pick up a carrot and set other near it - you should see the text change to 'bait'.

Managed to get to day 7 - built the science and alchemy machines, had it all set up in a nice little camp. Then night fell and I didn't have enough material to start a fire. A monster ate me :-(

Da fuck, I can't get passed 4 days. I'm doing something horribly wrong.

I know it goes against the grain of these types of games but... How do you use your fishing rod?

I literally just came to post about that, it's available through the Chrome store, works perfectly on my 2012 MBA. There's also a time limited demo available.

I can tell you wholeheartedly that cooked monster mean is not healthy :( very not healthy :( Along with eating it raw, also unhealthy.

Right is starting a new world still supposed to reset everything? not working for me.

Ooh Clippa don't tell them about the item in particular. Let everyone find out, as you said, the hard way! ;)

This game is great. It needs rain and snow settings though!

Yeah perhaps. Let everyone figure out most of the more obscure thingies themselves. :D

In other news, just now I made it to day.... 3. I got chased down by a couple of spiders before I got stuck on a tree and met my inevitable demise. I'm so good at this game.

LMAO. 4 days again! I must be Japanese or something.

This time everything was going super swell. Grabbing a ton of resources and taking it slow and generally just stocking up. As I was busy with all that I lost track of time when I was chopping down trees for more wood. Dawn fell and I hurried back to camp. It wasn't that far so I reckoned I'd be safe. Just as my camp came in view, night fell. I did not want to waste any more precious resources by making a small campfire, so I glanced over my map to check where I put my firepit. I took a Pinecone out of my pocket to add fuel to the pit. But alas it was too late, I was surrounded by complete darkness! So I thought "Screw it, I'll just build a campfire then". Noises stared coming through the woods and they kept getting louder and more frequent. I hurried through my inventory, found the campfire icon, clicked it and just as I was about to place it on the ground... I had met my fate, once more.

Will I ever make it to day 5? :lol:

Yeah I'm in agreement, this is fantastic and I'm experimenting as I go. Just wish there was a hardcore mode where if you die all your research is reset.