I couldn't find a thread for this anywhere, and my interest was piqued today when I read that Gillian Anderson is now confirmed to play a multi-episode role as Hannibals therapist. She's not done 'proper' American TV since you-know-what. The cast is hitting the right buttons for me, Mads Mikkelsen is a great left-field choice for Hannibal.

One of the most fascinating literary characters comes to life on television for the first time: psychiatrist-turned-serial killer, Dr. Hannibal Lecter. In this new drama from Bryan Fuller ("Pushing Daisies," "Heroes"), based on the characters from Thomas Harris' classic novels, we see where this incredible story began.
Will Graham is a gifted criminal profiler who is on the hunt for a serial killer with the FBI. Graham's unique way of thinking gives him the astonishing ability to empathize with anyone - even psychopaths. He seems to know what makes them tick. But when the mind of the twisted killer he's pursuing is too complicated for even Will to comprehend, he enlists the help of Dr. Lecter, one of the premier psychiatric minds in the country. Armed with the uncanny expertise of the brilliant doctor, Will and Hannibal (known as a serial killer only to the audience) form a brilliant partnership and it seems there's no villain they can't catch. If Will only knew...
Starring brilliant young actor Hugh Dancy as Will Graham, "Hannibal" will breathe new life into a deadly classic.

I hope it isn't too procedural, too high concept or too bloodless. This could be quite good if they play to the strengths of the cast and the character. David Slade (Hard Candy, that episode of Breaking Bad where Jesse goes Go Karting, one of the Twilight Films lol) is directing the pilot.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, watched it this morning. Looks good and they've added their own stylised hook in the way he deduces what happened at a scene. Bloodier than expected too. Perhaps pushing the envelope for normal network TV? Mads is interesting and creepy too. Perhaps a little difficult to take Fat Larry seriously though.

I wasn't going to bother with this, bored of serial killer procedurals and tired of the character of Hannibal and especially his transformation into a bizarre anti-hero, then I saw Alan Sepinwall raving about it despite having many of my misgivings.

I quite enjoyed it, nice to see that they're remembering that Hannibal is supposed to be terrifying psychopath and not some cartoon character cross between Jack the Ripper and Batman. I like the way they're portraying Will Graham's skills and the whole thing is very stylish.

I liked it for the same reasons. It's got some class, it holds itself well. Looking forward to seeing if it falls into procedural dullness or gets a bit farcical like most US TV. Or maybe we'll get lucky and it'll stay good!

It didn't really do it for me. Fat Larry and Mads were fine but the other guys cliched, looney schtick got real old, real quick. It reminded me a little of Millenium with the investigator being able to put himself in the mind of the killer. I was pretty bored by the end but the 'this season on Hannibal' montage at the end looked great, so I'll watch some more.

Jesus Christ, this blew me away. Easily the best pilot episode I've seen in a long time, perhaps ever. I thought the performances were phenomenal, especially the main character. The whole look and sound was incredible, I hope they can continue that into the series proper. The trailer for the rest of the season looked great as well. I can't remember when I was last so impressed by a TV show, it's really amazing that this is on a terrestrial channel in the States.

I also enjoyed the Shining reference.

• Upvote 3

Have read reviews of the show so far. Apparently the guy who plays Will Graham is excellent.

Our actors are really kicking butt in the US right now aren't they. Any major show and they're the goto people for casting directors. Really enjoyed this, both leads are excellent.

Saw this last night and thought it was very good, especially as it was a pilot, sometimes pilots have potential which they go on (or not) to fulfill, but this seemed fairly tight from the get go.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly they move the story on or whether they drag their feet,

since its set currently in the prequel phase to Red Dragon

Wikipedia quotes show runner Bryan Fuller talking to Entertainment Weekly about how the show might progress in future seasons, and how that might line up with the books. Very vague spoilers, no need to avoid this unless you're very spoiler averse.

Speaking to Entertainment Weekly about the project, Bryan Fuller discussed the limited episode order and the continuing story arc he envisions for the series. "Doing a cable model on network television gives us the opportunity not to dally in our storytelling because we have a lot of real estate to cover". Speaking specifically about the Hannibal Lecter character, Fuller said, "There is a cheery disposition to our Hannibal. He's not being telegraphed as a villain. If the audience didn't know who he was, they wouldn't see him coming. What we have is Alfred Hitchcock's principle of suspenseshow the audience the bomb under the table and let them sweat when it's going to go boom". He went on to call the relationship between Graham and Lecter as "really a love story", saying "As Hannibal has said [to Graham] in a couple of the movies, 'You're a lot more like me than you realize'. We'll get to the bottom of exactly what that means over the course of the first two seasons".[17] Fuller also stated that the show will adapt Harris' books, with Red Dragon being the basis for season four, and he wants to have other famous characters from the book series (such as Jame Gumb and Clarice Starling) provided that he can get the rights to them from MGM.

I've just noticed that Freddie Lounds (the tabloid hack played by Philip Seymour Hoffman in Red Dragon) is a girl in this, and a blogger rather than a newspaper journo. That's a clever up-to-date change.

• Upvote 1