It certainly went batshit mental over the last few episodes. Not sure what to make of it all really. It was horrifically beautiful throughout, although I was never sure whether I was supposed to go along with the dream-like leaps of logic, or question them.

Still, it was original and engrossing, and boy am I glad there's third series because I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!

I just finished watching it. Brutally brilliant. I'm looking forward to season 3. I loved Hopkins in the role as it is close to the books but Mads is one menacing bastard. I warmed to the Will character as it went on - or, as he became less mad. I liked the subtle nods to the films too - some were really obscure, like the fish hooks.

I'm watching the films again - might skip Hannibal Rising though.

• 1 month later...

Just finished watching both seasons of this over the last 3 weeks on Netflix,

Absolutely loved it! Probably the sickest, most twisted programme I've ever seen with Mads Mikkleson playing Lecter to a tee. That ending as well, WOW, bloody brilliant, can't wait for the next season now.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's back and it's still brilliant. Really different episode, no idea where it's going in terms of the

Italy

stuff.

One of the films was set there (haven't read the books) so I expect

pig feeding

will be on the cards at some point.

In the book, Hannibal assumes the identity of a curator called Dr Fell to avoid detection although, it's a bit screwy as he's the World's most notorious serial killer and I'd imagine someone would recognise him. I liked the ending of the book - it would've been great to have that ending in the film.

I liked the ending of the book - it would've been great to have that ending in the film.

I really disliked the ending of the book and was very happy they changed it. I thought it seriously undermined and betrayed the character of Starling.

• Upvote 1

I'm the opposite. I thought it went by very slowly. I was clock watching. I think it's because I'd like to see them just ease back a little on the gore and nightmarish imagery. I'm not saying water it down in any way, but at the minute it's like a constant waking nightmare with one weird thing following another. It's pretty much carrying on down the same road as season 2, and it's becoming tiring.

Y'know, someone could be talking to someone, and the drunken drumming is pounding away in the background, and someone's neck randomly opens up and starts spurting blood, and half the time I'm thinking is Will awake or dreaming or tripping, or all of those things? Do the programme makers care? Should I care? I feel myself becoming incredibly blasé about stuff that is obviously meant to be shocking. I just think It needs some contrast, like a symphony needs quiet moments.

It's the contrast between Will's dream/memory palace and Hannibal's isn't it? Hannibal fills his with "beauty" that he can't recreate whereas Will fills his with Abigail, trying to give her the place in the world she never had, but he struggles to maintain it as he isn't as focused as he doesn't know his own place in the world. I liked this episode a lot more than the first one, although they do seem to be drawing out the whole who-lived-and-who-died a bit, as you don't know if the other two made it or not.

I just got round to watching S3E1 last night and thought it was one of the best if not the best episode they've ever done. It's easily the most stylishly filmed thing on TV at the moment. Loved the way it treated the audience with intelligence and didn't splash 'Paris, France' or 'We're in Florence now!' over the screen. Same with the 2.35:1 ratio for the flashbacks. It just expects the audience to be intelligent enough to notice without having the characters/locations look radically different from one scene to the next.

It was a far better opener than for Series 2, with its ridiculous krav maga punch up.

• Upvote 2

It really is incredibly stylish. I totally agree with Monkeyboy though, sometimes they need to leave off the gore for a bit, just so it retains its power to shock. "Oh look, it's another blood tsunami"

It's like they have tested the limits for on screen violence, and found that there are none. Where to now?

(Amusing to think if they tried to show a bum they'd be censored immediately.)