Jump to content
rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Moz

Hannibal

Recommended Posts

I've been watching this for the past week or so, and like every highly-rated American drama it highlights the difference between US and UK programmes. Every episode has its own mini story arc, which is neatly tied up within 45 minutes, like they haven't got the attention span to follow a build up over a few episodes.

 

A prime example was the last episode I watched: the human totem. All this build up about the killer's motives, and in the end we get a two-minute, throwaway scene where the killer is revealed, and basically says "oh well, you caught me". No delving into his motives, or more annoyingly no explanation for how a frail 70 year old man managed to construct a 20 foot totem when he can barely move from his chair.

 

Mads Mikkelsen is great as Hannibal, but I feel like he's wasted when the stories and supporting characters don't do him justice.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The murders and their investigation are just a gory backdrop to what is basically a very glossy soap opera.

 

Edit - That’s not to dismiss your criticism, it does present itself as a killer of the week procedural in S1 and it’s bad at that. (It’s no Mindhunters.) More to set your expectations for what it is underneath that and leans in to in the later seasons.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was Season 3 of this good? I loved the first two but stopped watching 3 an episode in because something shinier came along. Worth going back to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Mugman said:

Was Season 3 of this good? I loved the first two but stopped watching 3 an episode in because something shinier came along. Worth going back to?

 

I thoroughly enjoyed season three. Definitely worth going back for. I really enjoyed their retelling of the Red Dragon storyline. Richard Armitage is brilliant as Francis Dolarhyde.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched this a little while back myself. It's definitely worth sticking with. It starts off as a serial killer of the week story before evolving into something sublime; a twisted love affair with some of the most disturbing stuff I've seen done in this kind of show. It's part soap opera, part performance piece, part grand guignol TV series, where characters completely change personality halfway through, but it doesn't compromise. Even the music's great. I don't know what you'd call it - discordant jazz? - but it fits the tone of mania and unbridled psychopathy pretty well.

 

You could argue that Hannibal isn't so clever as much as the people around him are dumb to not realise who he is, but in the moment, he's the smartest person in the room, playing everyone off. I mean, poor Will. I also found it a nice touch that for most of the run, it keeps coming back to that one moment in the first episode when it felt inconsequential at the time.

 

The one thing I didn't like about the series when starting to watch it, though, is that it seeemed to me that the first season acts on the assumption that you already know he's a serial killer. I mean, sure, he's a well-known character. It's just that in the context of the actual story, it never really makes that clear what he's supposed to be to everyone else. Maybe that's just me, though.

 

Another series cruelly taken too early. I'd have loved to have seen how they'd have tackled Silence of the Lambs.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's frustrating is CBS just announcing they're doing a Silence of the Lambs show. Rip it up and start again, I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

What's frustrating is CBS just announcing they're doing a Silence of the Lambs show. Rip it up and start again, I suppose.

 

It's post Silence of the Lambs. So, er, no Hannibal, then? Or do they find a way to crowbar him in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The season 1 ending was an interesting take on the story...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, James Lyon said:

 

It's post Silence of the Lambs. So, er, no Hannibal, then? Or do they find a way to crowbar him in?

 

I mean there was an intention to carry this show through the SotL story and beyond. Everyone and everything was in place and it was generally highly regarded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But not enough people were watching. And I imagine it wasn't that cheap either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sabreman said:

 

I mean there was an intention to carry this show through the SotL story and beyond. Everyone and everything was in place and it was generally highly regarded.

 

I read they didn't have the rights to Silence... which is why it skipped over to his escape to Italy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or they had the story rights but not Clarice Starling or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2020 at 22:38, James Lyon said:

I watched this a little while back myself. It's definitely worth sticking with. It starts off as a serial killer of the week story before evolving into something sublime; a twisted love affair with some of the most disturbing stuff I've seen done in this kind of show. It's part soap opera, part performance piece, part grand guignol TV series, where characters completely change personality halfway through, but it doesn't compromise. Even the music's great. I don't know what you'd call it - discordant jazz? - but it fits the tone of mania and unbridled psychopathy pretty well.

 

You could argue that Hannibal isn't so clever as much as the people around him are dumb to not realise who he is, but in the moment, he's the smartest person in the room, playing everyone off. I mean, poor Will. I also found it a nice touch that for most of the run, it keeps coming back to that one moment in the first episode when it felt inconsequential at the time.

 

The one thing I didn't like about the series when starting to watch it, though, is that it seeemed to me that the first season acts on the assumption that you already know he's a serial killer. I mean, sure, he's a well-known character. It's just that in the context of the actual story, it never really makes that clear what he's supposed to be to everyone else. Maybe that's just me, though.

 

Another series cruelly taken too early. I'd have loved to have seen how they'd have tackled Silence of the Lambs.

 

 

I literally can't tell if this is sincere or not :lol:.

 

Such is the ridiculous nature of Hannibal, it's entirely possible that someone could love all of the stuff in the first two paragraphs as much as someone else could think it was terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, schmojo said:

 

 

I literally can't tell if this is sincere or not :lol:.

 

Such is the ridiculous nature of Hannibal, it's entirely possible that someone could love all of the stuff in the first two paragraphs as much as someone else could think it was terrible.

 

It can be both, sure. I think anyone coming in expecting the same tone as those Anthony Hopkins movies is going to be in for a shock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely a different take on the character of Hannibal than the films. I prefer the film version though, the TV Hannibal has no boundaries as to who he kills.

 

Also, I've just seen that 

Spoiler

Verger

Is in this ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fucking hell 

 

Spoiler

Will being a murderer was all a ruse!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the actor that plays 

Spoiler

Verger

In Boardwalk Empire, but he totally overcooks it in this. He's more like the joker, and he's taking too much from the film version of the character instead of making it his own.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the last episode of this last night and really enjoyed it. I'm gutted they aren't making more, but at least it didn't feel unfinished - the series ending as it was served as a good enough ending. It was quite romantic.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.