Ouch No More!

Cyhwuhx

N-Gamer

Beyond Good and Evil and PoP Cancelled?

2004-01-02 20:22:09

Early indications are that Beyond Good and Evil has been cancelled for release on the Nintendo GameCube and XBox in European territories. Find out more inside.

UPDATED:

Has Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time also been cancelled?

Those of you following the Playstation 2 release of Beyond Good and Evil in Europe may have become aware of the lacklustre sales of the title, as well as Prince of Persia. Both titles developed by French studios Ubi Soft. Beyond Good and Evil had a timed exclusive release on the Playstation 2 last month, with the Nintendo GameCube and XBox releases early next year.

But anyone who now pays a visit to the Ubi Soft site will notice both the GameCube and XBox versions have been removed and their existence seemingly forgotten. The game page can be seen here.

Also, those of you whom check online retailer Amazon will also have noticed that both versions are lacking from their catalog.

UPDATE:

The Ubi Soft game page for Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time in a similar vein to the game page for Beyond Good and Evil indicates that the GameCube and XBox versions have both been cancelled. After extremely poor sales, and continued discounting by retailers, have Ubi Soft decided a multiplatform release a no longer viable business solution? Disappointing times for the French software house after riding high on the success of titles such as Splinter Cell last year. More as we get it.

.::: YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!? (O_o)

Rejoice!!

Well, I got both games on the cube from DVDboxoffice for £60 delivered. Now, I think they both work with freeloader (or POP did at least round at my friend's house with his PAL cube last night - will try them both to make sure when go round again) so why don't people just get them from there?

What the FUCK? PoP did spectacularly in the US after a multiformat launch- so well that Ubisoft give Splinter Cell away with it now, as a way of clearing SC back stock.

S'Funny - I'd always assumed that the deal was designed o boost SC further, as a brand building exercise to make Pandora Tomorrow an even deader cert than it is. And to help shift unmoving copies of PoP.

Yay! More unconfirmed bullshit culled from gaming-age.com's forums! Turning it into a news story on a fan site waaay beats rushing around all the UK forums you can to post it as news. (No offence Cyhwuhx.)

.::: No offense taken. Believe me, I would VERY MUCH like to take this as bullshit. Happily. Ever After.

It's just insanely screwed up if this is true...

I've said it before, I'll say it again: this is Ubisoft's own fault for launching a good handful of potential, but untested in the mass gamer's consciousness, franchise/brand builders at the busiest part of the games calendar.

Poor sales of PoP and BGE have little to do with them being PS2 exclusive - they dropped the price of both PoP and XIII to stirr up sales and both did well-ish in the Christmas charts eventually and only the latter of those is on all formats.

I'm not surprised that/if they have been cancelled - Ubisoft need to cut their losses (did you SEE their financial report?) before Pandora Tomorrow arrives and they can capitalise, literally, on that - but I'm surprised that people are reporting it as 'fact?' (when, in all likelyhood, Ubisoft wouldn't even have been around at its offices over Christmas to actually cancel it).

They would have sold well, but it wouldn't have been greatly noticable thanks to the massive megasellers they would be competing with from EA and those with better marketing or in-store support. So, again, mutliformat releases for the three wouldn't have made much of a difference. If they had released them after Christmas, or even in September when they were all pretty much ready they would have sold well enough (in terms of comparisons with the seasonal market) to constiute a hit.

Why are you all taking the word of a crapping fansite?

Well seeing as both Amazon and Ubi-Soft's European websites have removed all traces of the GameCube and Xbox versions, it's not looking good. :D

And Alex, are you sure PoP did "spectacularly" in the US? I was under the impression that it did fairly poorly, although not as bad as BG&E which is selling on around the same level as Haven. ;)

Special Kid, I think suggesting they would've suddenly sold loads if they were released in a slow time of the year is nothing but wishful thinking. Other high profile flops like ICO and Panzer Dragoon Saga weren't released at Christmas. The mainstream gamer doesn't NEED to buy new games all through the year and I'd wager the ignorant masses would still have ignored them.

Special Kid, I think suggesting they would've suddenly sold loads if they were released in a slow time of the year is nothing but wishful thinking. Other high profile flops like ICO and Panzer Dragoon Saga weren't released at Christmas.

But those two games didn't get the same level of TV exposure the other two did, nor got the cooperation with retailers that PoP and BGE did.

And anyway, as for Amazon and Ubi's Euro site - did they EVER have the GC/XB versions of the games listed? Remember, Ubisoft actively tried to gag a lot of the UK press from revewing imported versions of the Cube and Xbox versions because of the exclusivity deal with Sony, so they may have made sure they weren't mentioned on their own site (and asked the likes of Amazon to take them down) as part of the same line of thought.

For the record, Ubisoft's press website for journalists still lists all four versions as coming in 2004.

This is starting to get very depressing for the future of original/stylish/great games, like ICO, REZ, PoP, B&GE, Panzer Dragoon Saga etc... We only had to see the games which sold this Xmas, that top ten of mostly EA games. The fucking mainstream need educating on what they should be buying. EA should be taken to court, for destorying our pastime.

And going back to the whole 'seasonal releases being to blame' thing - even Ubisoft admit it was a competitive time of year;

"The launch of products with strong market potential during the third quarter of 2003-2004 met with a very positive reception in the trade press: Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six™3 received an approval rating of 89.6%* and Prince of Persia The Sands of Time™ achieved a score of 93.8%*. Sales of the new brands started off slowly, however, due to competition from already well-established franchises."

and

“Our first-half results are highly satisfactory as they clearly indicate the success of our internal growth strategy based on games with strong potential. The third-quarter performance was not as strong as anticipated because the new brands we launched were a bit slow getting started. However, these products are steadily gaining momentum. Blahblahblah," said Yves Guillemot, Chairman of Ubi Soft Entertainment."

and

"Very strong competition from established brands"

(All from Ubisoft's end of year financial results.)

All the consoles have had exclusively deals - dont just blame nintendo and sony.

I think this is a great shame. I know both these games are decent titles, but they just dont seem to take many peoples interests.

Ubisoft should have released POP and BGAE at xmas on all formats. The ps2 version didnt sell so well because there was a whole heap of other games out at xmas - and i really think both games would have sold better on either the xbox or GC.

And anyway, as for Amazon and Ubi's Euro site - did they EVER have the GC/XB versions of the games listed? Remember, Ubisoft actively tried to gag a lot of the UK press from revewing imported versions of the Cube and Xbox versions because of the exclusivity deal with Sony, so they may have made sure they weren't mentioned on their own site (and asked the likes of Amazon to take them down) as part of the same line of thought.

I'm almost certain that this is right, at least for Prince Of Persia. I'm sure that before it came out for PS2, (but after the exclusivity in Europe had been annnounced) I went to their site to try and find details of when it was being released for Gamecube, and couldn't find any mention of it anywhere.

I would think this would be common sense as part of the reason Sony paid for exclusivity was to try give Joe Public another reason to buy PS2 this Xmas, in the same way that some people would have bought Xbox last Xmas for Splinter Cell.

I can't believe they won't release at least PoP over here.

well.. f$%k em then... if that's their attitude. I was holding out for the cube releases of PoP and BGnE. Particularly, BGnE looked more suitable to the cube, and I'm convinced that PoP would have sold better on xbox and cube during the christmas period than it did on PS2.

It's dissappointing to see (if its true) Ubi Soft cancel games for these formats due to dissappointing sales on a different format that traditionaly does not cater well for "niche" games anyway. (EDIT - well.. it does cater for them, but they don't particularly sell well)

Argh.

I'll maybe get round to freeloading them.. or importing an Xbox version. I don't want the PS2 version, from what I've heard Cube and Xbox versions of both titles were superior (in the case of PoP, apparently it has the best graphics of them all).

Bastards.