Ouch No More!

Cyhwuhx

Well, this is plain crap. I´ve been waiting a long, long time for the Xbox version of BG&E, I´ve followed the game form the first screenshots, and now we´ve got this.

Well, that saves me money for other games, money I was about to give to Ubi soft. Their loss.... :huh:

It's dissappointing to see (if its true) Ubi Soft cancel games for these formats due to dissappointing sales on a different format that traditionaly does not cater well for "niche" games anyway. (EDIT - well.. it does cater for them, but they don't particularly sell well)

ALL niche games sell in small numbers.

Otherwise they wouldn't be niche.

The poor sales of POP and BG&E could be due to the fact that most PS2 owners wouldn't know a good game when one comes out.

.::: Considering what *is* selling on the Xbox and GameCube it wouldn't have fared any better.

Really it sometimes amazes me why EA hasn't yet produced a console of it's own...

I think your all jumping the gun a little too early. They are finished games at the end of the day so I see no reason why they wouldn't be released in Europe. It just might up being a low initial print run and thats it.

Besides what do Ubisoft gain from not releasing them here?

I really do think both titles would have fared better as multi-format releases. They would have stood out better in the catalogues of the Cube and the XBox compared to being swamped by the PS2 list.

Hopefully other publishers will learn from Ubisoft's mistake and not go down the exclusivity route with titles and cleverly miss the boat. Well done to all at Ubisoft for that.

I think your all jumping the gun a little too early. They are finished games at the end of the day so I see no reason why they wouldn't be released in Europe. It just might up being a low initial print run and thats it.

.::: Square still owes me an answer to that question regarding Final Fantasy III (US count), Chrono Trigger and Xenogears.

ffs.

If you wanted the game/s so much, why didn't you buy it? It may have stood out better in the GC/XBox lists - but that isn't going to compete with £20 versions on the PS2. *And the PS2 is where the money is*.

The graphical difference between my PS2 version of POP and my PC version of POP (running on a Radeon 9700 Pro if that helps - I'd be stunned if there's a large difference between this at 1200*970 res and the XBox...) is discernable - but has absolutely fuck all to do with the gameplay.

Graphics Whores :huh:

ffs.

If you wanted the game/s so much, why didn't you buy it? It may have stood out better in the GC/XBox lists - but that isn't going to compete with £20 versions on the PS2. *And the PS2 is where the money is*.

The graphical difference between my PS2 version of POP and my PC version of POP (running on a Radeon 9700 Pro if that helps - I'd be stunned if there's a large difference between this at 1200*970 res and the XBox...) is discernable - but has absolutely fuck all to do with the gameplay.

Graphics Whores :huh:

perhaps, some of us, rather naievly, like to buy 3rd party titles on their platform of choice in order to do our "bit" to ensure these quality titles come to our platform.

I know.. sounds daft... but... that's just me.

I really do think both titles would have fared better as multi-format releases. They would have stood out better in the catalogues of the Cube and the XBox compared to being swamped by the PS2 list.

For starters, the (relatively) famished Xbox and GameCube press would have pounced on both PoP and BG&E, and paraded both games in a fashion that most PS2 magazines (and their self-imposed reluctance to cover anything without cars, guns or cars AND guns as a focal point, due to the "supposed" make-up of PS2 owners) just couldn't commit to.

Plus, the blanket buzz of a multi-format debut would probably have boosted the total sales above whatever the fragmented, straddled Euro releasing manage to garner. If they go ahead at all, like.

I'd have loved to have seen how Soul Calibur 2 would have performed if it went through the same kind of wringer as PoP, and whether or not the GC version would have been the best seller of the trio.

.::: Square still owes me an answer to that question regarding Final Fantasy III (US count), Chrono Trigger and Xenogears.

The same arguement can't really be made due to the fact that they are all RPGs (still relatively niche - at least compared with something like PoP) and both FF3 and Chrono Trigger were on the SNES when cart prices made it prohibatative. Localisation would have been prohibative too (translation, NTSC to PAL video etc.)

PoP would be a pile of piss to do, especially the Xbox version.

No marketing costs.

What marketing costs? Everyone who wants PoP already knows about it due to Sony doing the marketing for them.

Perfect example is Splinter Cell which everyone knew about due to MS pushing of it last christmas. When it got released in the New Year on PS2/GC the market for the game was already there.

I would get them on the PS2 but I don't own one and Im not about to fork out for one.

What annoys me is that they discounted PoP and BGandE so heavily before christmas that even if the other format releases do go ahead they'll probably won't be the big sellers that they might've been before christmas.

Really it sometimes amazes me why EA hasn't yet produced a console of it's own...

Fuck me. That's scary!

Don't talk like that.

I want to sleep tonight...

*hold me*

:)

.::: Actually the remark was kinda rhetorical.

They toyed with the idea.

Never pulled through.

Be thankful. :huh:

PS2 version it is then.

Surely the conversions were pretty much done, so I don't see why they don't just release them and get some money. Small sales on Xbox and Gamecube has got to be better than no sales at all.

They are done. And released in the states.

Looks @ XBox PoP.

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMM.

Don't forget you should all have US XBOX or Gamecube as alternative to PAL Ps2 so you can get all the choice.

I also have to wait until March 25th for Colin McRae Rally 4 to come out on my XBOX :huh:

All I can say "Feck off Region Coding" I want freedom of choice and legal option. I can't snap up very cheap games in UK as I don't have a PAL Console apart from PS2.

I got Prince of Persia for US XBOX and it is excellent and I will get Beyond Good and Evil when I got a lot more money.

Square says:

Why isn't Xenogears available in Europe?

We would very much like to release as many Square Enix titles in Europe and other PAL territories as are available elsewhere in the world, however, following detailed market analysis, we have found that due to the nature of the European market, certain titles may not warrant a release here.

When is Chrono Cross coming out in Europe/Australia? Unfortunately a combination of technical and business reasons means that Chrono Cross will not be released in any PAL territory. The team who produced the game are now working on new Playstation 2 projects.

In other words, everyone buys Fifa, Tomb Raider, boring EA games, GTA, the newest Potter game and Grandmother Treaclismo by the shedloads and not Final fantasy et al. so we are in the extreme non-profitable minority. Import.

I thought FF sold really well though? PoP was forever riding high in the charts in shops..whatever they are based on. Same with Viewtiful Joe, so odd games do seem to do well..

Anyway, Sony must have offered a shedload of cash to ubi to warrent delaying the PAL release of two games.. theres no other reason these games wheren't released on all platforms at once like other in regions, right?

It is worrying, I've got PoP on US XBOX so I've done my bit :huh:

Don't know if it's the same story anywhere else but in my local GAME store there were shitloads of copies of PoP on the shelves, and mainly the 'not for resale' ones you get with the PS2 bundle before christmas, went to another GAME store today and there were even more in there. (down in Cornwall btw, wouldn't want any location crossovers in this survey ruining the stats would we)

The copies in there now I can maybe understand as you can finish the game in a short space of time, but the raft of bundle copies that came in before christmas, whats going on there? did parents trade the game in on the PS2 package so they could afford Mission impossible and Enter the Matrix?

There's always versions of games cancelled on the gamecube, yes? like that conflict desert storm 2 and others.

CDS2 on GC hasn't been cancelled as far as I am aware.

And, if there is any truth to this rumour, it's not Ubisoft's fault as regards non-release. Well, it is, but if it's makes prudent financial sense to not release these games in certain areas (or everything aside from the US as it seems in this case) then that's what they simply have to do. Not enough people are buying their product elsewhere so why should they make (or even risk making) a loss to appease the few?

And, if there is any truth to this rumour, it's not Ubisoft's fault as regards non-release. Well, it is, but if it's makes prudent financial sense to not release these games in certain areas (or everything aside from the US as it seems in this case) then that's what they simply have to do. Not enough people are buying their product elsewhere so why should they make (or even risk making) a loss to appease the few?

The chances of PoP (at least, BG&E maybe less so, but still) making a loss would be slim indeed.

Generally, if something can sell in even modest numbers (and these are pretty high profile games) it gets released. Sometimes on budget, but seldom not at all, when the actual game is complete.

Inadequate international licensing/logistical infrastructure/agreements (see Atlus, Sega) and unusually prohibitive localisation costs (e.g. Xenosaga, AC) shoot down most things that don't get to UK shelves.

In other words, everyone buys Fifa, Tomb Raider, boring EA games, GTA, the newest Potter game and Grandmother Treaclismo by the shedloads and not Final fantasy et al. so we are in the extreme non-profitable minority. Import.

HEY! GTA is ace so sthumm it. It was a different experience when it was first released, just because every other game wants to be it don't fault the original.

However, Death to the EA! Cloggin up the charts with filth like NFSU/MOH while this great game with a decent advert sinks.

The chances of PoP (at least, BG&E maybe less so, but still) making a loss would be slim indeed.

Generally, if something can sell in even modest numbers (and these are pretty high profile games) it gets released. Sometimes on budget, but seldom not at all, when the actual game is complete.

Inadequate international licensing/logistical infrastructure/agreements (see Atlus, Sega) and unusually prohibitive localisation costs (e.g. Xenosaga, AC) shoot down most things that don't get to UK shelves.

All true.

If this rumour is to be believed, I could only assume the reasoning if because they see little value in the franchise(s) and believe that the possibility of making a loss is too great to proceed.

Which I find odd...

What's the fuss? Both POP & BG&E work with Freeloader on the GC. I have played and finished POP and am working my way through BG&E which is a bloody brilliant game.

That people want to support the PAL XBox/GC market so there is a higher chance of more games beingreleased for both consoles?