Jump to content
rllmuk

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures


Recommended Posts

Splatoon 2 is very Splatoon 1-ish though. Single player much better, of course. I think you can't say the Wii U was better in any meaningful sense just because you were sitting there trying to play it on an etch-a-sketch. Just all wrong, in form and concept. So much so that they pivoted to doing the exact opposite, to massive success.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Splatoon 2 is very Splatoon 1-ish though.


Well, yeah. Because it’s a sequel. I hope Splatoon 3 is very Splatoon 2-ish. I hope they don’t turn it into anything else, it’s fucking brilliant.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I should clarify that I’m finding Nintendo’s endless rereleases and minor updates pretty tiring now. So for me things like Fire Emblem, Yoshi etc aren’t interesting games because I’ve already played them. The Wii U made Zelda open world and created Mario Maker, which are two huge games for me. The majority of their output is always just the same games with a new coat of paint and I’m pretty tired of all those things except Animal Crossing apparently.

  • Empathy 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Three Houses is significantly different to any Fire Emblem before it. The games closest relative is probably Genealogy of the Holy War, a super famicom exclusive that came out 25 years ago.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

Three Houses is significantly different to any Fire Emblem before it. The games closest relative is probably Genealogy of the Holy War, a super famicom exclusive that came out 25 years ago.

 

Exactly.

 

Also Three Houses comes off the back of a 3-4 game period (depending on whether you count Fates as 1 or 2 games) of reckoning with the entire history of the franchise, what aspects to ditch, and taking multiple approaches on how to develop what they wanted to keep. It's like the reappraisal process that went in to the 2012 XCOM reboot or the PSP version of Tactics Ogre but played out in slow motion so you can see the decisions and workings behind it all play out from game to game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Awakening taught intelligent Systems what was popular, Fates taught them what not to do, and echoes taught them what they need to keep.

 

Fire emblem is a generational series, it won’t change significantly from game to game as it’s practical to keep them close to each other when using the same hardware (see the GBA trilogy, the radiance games, the 3DS trilogy).

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Broker said:

The majority of their output is always just the same games with a new coat of paint


:rolleyes:

 

I can’t think of a publisher with a more varied output, or one that takes as many risks as they do. We’d be on Mario Odyssey 3 by now with a lot of them.

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/08/2020 at 12:30, Broker said:

Sorry I should clarify that I’m finding Nintendo’s endless rereleases and minor updates pretty tiring now. So for me things like Fire Emblem, Yoshi etc aren’t interesting games because I’ve already played them. The Wii U made Zelda open world and created Mario Maker, which are two huge games for me. The majority of their output is always just the same games with a new coat of paint and I’m pretty tired of all those things except Animal Crossing apparently.


I mean BOTW also released on Switch. On the same day. And was made a fair amount better by the portability. It was the perfect launch title and it also releasing on the WiiU on the same day shouldn’t take away from the fact it’s a brilliant Switch title. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BitterToad said:


I mean BOTW also released on Switch. On the same day. And was made a fair amount better by the portability. It was the perfect launch title and it also releasing on the WiiU on the same day shouldn’t take away from the fact it’s a brilliant Switch title. 

 

I mean it's pretty relevant if the point I'm making is that most of the best Switch games are Wii U ports, as it's a Wii U port. Improved by the portability is completely subjective (exploring a beautiful open world on a tiny screen is my nightmare), plus they gimped the Wii U version and removed what would have been amazing features that the game is clearly designed to have so that they didn't have to deal with the Wii U version being better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the console is selling to people who haven't had a Nintendo before. Or haven't had one in ages. My only Nintendo was a GameCube - had monkey ball, rogue squadron and Luigi mansion. I've spent a fortune on the Switch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Amazing features like holding the WiiU gamepad face down to scan the Sheikah Slate?


More how obvious it is that the second screen is supposed to be your slate, used for the map etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Broker said:

 the point I'm making is that most of the best Switch games are Wii U ports


The point you’re making then is, with the greatest of respect, bollocks. There are some Wii U ports absolutely, but it’s a handful really - not “most of the best” by any reasonable measure.

 

I want more - I want Wind Waker for a start!

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Broker said:


More how obvious it is that the second screen is supposed to be your slate, used for the map etc.

Yeah it’s barely playable without that. Aside from that the point you’re making, in the sales thread for Chrisake, is a bit odd, drawn from some playground argument you had with your friend about which was better, Wii U or Switch.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If a game appears on two formats on the same day how do you decide which one is a port?

 

Also if appearing on two machines doesn't mean it counts as a game for either of them then the Xbox Series X is in real trouble since it'll have no first party games for 2 years.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

If a game appears on two formats on the same day how do you decide which one is a port?

 

Also if appearing on two machines doesn't mean it counts as a game for either of them then the Xbox Series X is in real trouble since it'll have no first party games for 2 years.


I think that’s where Broker is coming from :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's have a test here, because "most of the best Switch games are wiiU ports" sounds like bollocks in that there's really only a very few of them.

 

Let's use the Metacritic list as the most fair "best" metric.

 

3 of the top 10 were ever on Wii U, and that's including BOTW which isn't a port.  The other 2 are Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

 

Of the next 10, 2 were and one of those is Bayonetta 2 again in the double pack. If we allow the next one to get a true top 20, then Xenoblade chronicles makes an appearence.

 

So in the entire top 20 best games on Switch, 4 are Wii U "ports", only 2 of which are from nintendo and both of which are upgraded editions with the DLC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You already got me to say I was wrong and would leave the discussion. Why are you still wasting your time trying to prove a subjective opinion wrong when you’ve already insulted and belittled me into renouncing it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

*I've* done that have I? With my devious scheme of "Only making one post which wasn't even directed at you" before you flounced.

 

The irony of you flouncing because you "weren't allowed to have an opinion" only to flounce back to berate us from continuing to have opinions without your input is excellent though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2020 at 15:18, AI1 said:

I also think Fall Guys alone will probably help sell another 10 million PS+ subs worldwide within the next month or so when word of mouth gets out how fun, popular and accessible it is, so that's another half a billion in the bank from one game.

 

Why put all your eggs in one basket?

 

https://gamstat.com/games/Fall_Guys_Ultimate_Knockout/

 

Fall Guys had 8.2 million players on PS4 between 4th - 9th August and there are currently no signs of it slowing down.

 

*Smug Mode activated*

 

Spoiler

I know that isn't 10 million extra PS+ subs sold, but I predicted in a 'month or so' and I'm right so na na na na not listening.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another month, another NPD report.
 

 

 

 


In other sales news: Resident Evil 7 is now Capcom's best-selling Resident Evil game if you don't count re-releases and special editions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Nintendo is now the richest Japanese company in 2020

 

Quote

Financial analysis firm Risk Masters is reporting that Nintendo is now the richest Japanese company in 2020. The tragic ongoing coronavirus pandemic and subsequent worldwide lockdowns have seen video games companies and technology firms make incredible gains with consumers staying at home and looking for entertainment.

 

Genuinely can't work out if this is revenue or profit or holdings or whatever from the Gtranslated source page, but there you go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/08/2020 at 14:39, Vemsie said:

Another month, another NPD report.
 


In other sales news: Resident Evil 7 is now Capcom's best-selling Resident Evil game if you don't count re-releases and special editions.

 

Given how many re-releases Resident Evil 4 has had we probably should be counting them really!

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Nintendo is now the richest Japanese company in 2020

 

 

Genuinely can't work out if this is revenue or profit or holdings or whatever from the Gtranslated source page, but there you go.


Probably in terms of cash holdings. They had close to $6bn cash in hand in their latest annual report, March 2020. Probably loads more now after further Animal Crossing and Switch sales. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.