Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures

Reading that, I'm immediately convinced that Sony needs to charge £70 for every game because dem costs so high, won't someone think of the profits.

On a more serious note, good to see gaming overall doing very well.

It's interesting that Sony expects bigger first-party revenue, which makes up for 17% of PS software sales, for this fiscal year than last year, which included TLoU2 and Ghost.
You'd almost think that means they expect God of War to release before the end of the fiscal year (end of March 2022), because it will be tough for just Horizon, Returnal and Ratchet to do so.

Receipts:

15 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It’s really, really amazing to see gaming in general doing so well, as it wasn’t looking so rosey at all 10 years ago. 

No, it definitely wasn't. Before the PS4 gen started everyone assumed smartphones would completely take over. Nobody would be interested in consoles. Thankfully it turned out completely different but it did lead to funny situations like EA getting caught with their pants down and quickly throwing a video together for E3 by filming their offices and showing pre-production prototype models. We're working on something, really, oh god put out some remasters quick oh god

6 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

No, it definitely wasn't. Before the PS4 gen started everyone assumed smartphones would completely take over. Nobody would be interested in consoles.

I remember that quite clearly. Someone even told me quietly that they knew someone at Sony who had told them that it was the last generation of Consoles. 

52 minutes ago, bear said:

Can you imagine how well Sony and MS would be doing if the PS5 and Series S/X weren't the most botched launches ever? 

Probably exactly the same, people want these consoles regardless of any perceived botched launch or whatever, and PS5 is the fastest selling console ever, I mean how much more could they improve on that? 

Nintendo Quarterly Report this morning:

Operating profit for the full fiscal year amounted to 640.63 Bn yen which is the highest ever recorded in a fiscal year by any console manufacturer (company or console division in the case of mega corporations).

Switch hardware is at 84.59 million - 4.73 million sold in the last quarter (+43.7% YoY).

And some updated sales figures:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 35.39M (+1.98M)

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 32.63M (+1.45M)

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 23.84M (+990K)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 22.28M (+830K)

Pokémon Sword/Shield - 21.10M (+750K)

Super Mario Odyssey - 20.83M (+600K)

Super Mario Party - 14.79M (+970K)

Pokémon: Let's Go! - 13.28M (+280K)

Splatoon 2 - 12.21M (+310K)

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 10.44M (+620K)

Ring Fit Adventure - 10.11M (+1.43M)

Mario 3D All-Stars - 9.01M (+690K)

3D World + Bowser's Fury - 5.59M

Edit: 28.83 million Switch's sold in the last 12 months, making it the 3rd biggest yearly hardware sales ever (behind the DS which sold 30 million+ 2 years running).

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Mario Kart 8 insane figures, don’t think we’ll ever get a 9!

The % of install base figures for that and animal crossing are nuts.

2 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Operating profit for the full fiscal year amounted to 640.63 Bn yen which is the highest ever recorded in a fiscal year by any console manufacturer (company or console division in the case of mega corporations).

How many days did Sony get to crow about holding that record? :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Majora said:

Zelda going from selling around 4 million copies of Skyward Sword to 22 million copies of Breath of the Wild and counting might be the most astonishing success story for me to be honest.

Mario Kart being huge has been a given for many years now and Animal Crossing has always been quietly bigger than many people realised. But that rebound for the Zelda series feels nearly unprecedented (and even when it was selling much better than Skyword Sword the games would still usually cap out at around 10 million).

I don't think anyone could ever have dreamed BOTW would do that well. It would have been considered a success had it simply returned Zelda to being a 8-10 million copies sold kind of franchise.

I guess because it's simply fucking amazing, it is what, £50 or there abouts, and offers quite frankly hundreds of hours of game time, and none of it is dull, I've played through it twice, and would probably do so again.

That list of 13 games has sold over 200 million between them, add in the rest and I really do wonder if Nintendo will finally hit the 1 Billion software units sold by the end of the Switch's life cycle.

Those Mario Kart sales are more than double that of the best selling first party or exclusive title on any competing platform. Bonkers.

5 minutes ago, Majora said:

Zelda going from selling around 4 million copies of Skyward Sword to 22 million copies of Breath of the Wild and counting might be the most astonishing success story for me to be honest.

Skyward Sword is a bit meh. BotW is legitimately the best video game ever created.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Mario Kart 8 insane figures, don’t think we’ll ever get a 9!

They could do a Capcom and simply keep releasing updated versions - Mario Kart 8 Champion Edition, Marip Kart 8 Turbo etcetera. Add new modes or new characters each time and watch the maximum profit roll in.

6 minutes ago, layten said:

Those Mario Kart sales are more than double that of the best selling first party or exclusive title on any competing platform. Bonkers.

And they sold them all at or close to full price!

9 minutes ago, layten said:

Skyward Sword is a bit meh. BotW is legitimately the best video game ever created.

You won't catch me disagreeing with that, but I still don't think anyone could have dreamed BOTW would sell 6x what Skyward Sword did and more than double what any previous Zelda game had ever sold.

Nintendo's forecast for the current fiscal year is 25,5 million shipped units for hardware and 190 million shipped for software.

That tells me we can expect both big software launches alongside a hardware revision.

51 minutes ago, Majora said:

You won't catch me disagreeing with that, but I still don't think anyone could have dreamed BOTW would sell 6x what Skyward Sword did and more than double what any previous Zelda game had ever sold.

No it’s quite some feat isn’t it and tbh it fills my heart with joy, I could never have imagined it doing this well. 

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

And they sold them all at or close to full price!

Do you think it’s recouped it’s production budget yet?

11 minutes ago, footle said:

Do you think it’s recouped it’s production budget yet?

:D Profit margins at this point are insane on that.

It makes me a little disappointed we don't see lots of free DLC for something like Mario Kart. Couple of new tracks a year. They sell enough new copies to cover that for their whole player base. But then obviously they have other uses for this cash. New games, new hardware (revisions), swimming and printing GIFs.