Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures

16 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

No wonder why they can’t be arsed to make a F Zero or Waverace. Those numbers are ridiculous. 

Yeah as much as I would love a new F-Zero it probably wouldn't sell more than a couple of million. Even with the Switch boost that a lot of series are getting (nearly 15 million for Mario Party is ridiculous), it's hard to see how it's worth the time and effort for Nintendo to make an F-Zero when you look at the numbers their other games are pulling in.

19 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Their earnings report says they have 1.2 TRILLION yen in the bank. :blink2:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2021/210506e.pdf

They could have bought Zenimax for that !!!

6 minutes ago, Majora said:

Yeah as much as I would love a new F-Zero it probably wouldn't sell more than a couple of million. Even with the Switch boost that a lot of series are getting (nearly 15 million for Mario Party is ridiculous), it's hard to see how it's worth the time and effort for Nintendo to make an F-Zero when you look at the numbers their other games are pulling in.

yeah, except THEY don't need to make it, they could farm it out to Shinen, or someone else .

4 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

yeah, except THEY don't need to make it, they could farm it out to Shinen, or someone else .

I didn't really like whatever that futuristic racer was called that Shinen made :(

FAST Rmx, it was alright, but yeah, not 100% an F-Zero clone or much more than a 7/10 game, but it showed what they could do if given the F-Zero licence, they have the technical know how to do it, the thing shuttles along at a right old pace :)

F Zero just doesn't have the reach or pull to sell enough - the oft stated excuse is 'whats the big idea' for the series to justify another, though arguably MK8 is just more of the same but it has a much broader reach and roster of characters which makes it far more appealing (thus the huge numbers it sells in).

I think Pilotwings falls into the same problem, they could easily churn out another but want to find a new angle or reason to do so.

I'd be happy with some remasters at this point if new versions aren't forthcoming. 

But do they need all new games to sell in huge quantities?  Is having a range of different software with different experiences for the user beneficial in broadening their market?

2 hours ago, layten said:

How many days did Sony get to crow about holding that record? :lol: 

Imagine what Nintendo could make with £70 games and expensive hardware :lol:

I bet there are some young designers inside Nintendo that would love to have a go at an F-Zero - it just feels like a project they could push to a young team to test them out, low risk, no huge expectations in terms of sales, and if they get it right it could rejuvenate the franchise.

The whole online battle thing with NSO just makes it so obvious and painful - we want F-Zero 99!

28 minutes ago, rgraves said:

The whole online battle thing with NSO just makes it so obvious and painful - we want F-Zero 99!

Stop it, right now!! I am not ready for the disapointment when it doesn't turn up :(

Whilst I would love an F-Zero 99 I'd at the same time be very sad the series had once again just been demoted to a mini game kinda thing rather than being given the full on F-Zero GX style treatment it deserves. :(

One day! :blah:

48 minutes ago, Chooch said:

But do they need all new games to sell in huge quantities?  Is having a range of different software with different experiences for the user beneficial in broadening their market?

I agree. Nintendo could use a few moderately budgeted games to fill the gaps in its release schedule. 

If you budget a new Pilot Wings or F-Zero right then there is no need to lose money and you can keep your schedule alive with releases. 

It is not like Nintendo look at their release schedule and puzzle over how they could possibly fit in another release. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

They could do a Capcom and simply keep releasing updated versions - Mario Kart 8 Champion Edition, Marip Kart 8 Turbo etcetera. Add new modes or new characters each time and watch the maximum profit roll in.

It's clear now - it was never Mark Kart 8, it was Mario Kart ∞

1 hour ago, Chooch said:

Opportunity cost though. Even a small team could probably be put to better use than working on a game that is never going to sell a lot. Nobody cares about futuristic racing games anymore.

Sadly I don't think it would really broaden their market either. Anyone who currently gives a shit about F-Zero almost certainly already owns a Switch.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

F Zero just doesn't have the reach or pull to sell enough - the oft stated excuse is 'whats the big idea' for the series to justify another, though arguably MK8 is just more of the same but it has a much broader reach and roster of characters which makes it far more appealing (thus the huge numbers it sells in).

I think Pilotwings falls into the same problem, they could easily churn out another but want to find a new angle or reason to do so.

I'd be happy with some remasters at this point if new versions aren't forthcoming. 

The thing about MK8 is that you can turn on difficulty options to the point where a four year old can have fun playing it. And there are cute cartoon things all over the place.

Similarly four year olds can run round Animal Crossing islands.

I’m not sure you can do the same with FZero and still have it be FZero. You’d have five year olds tripping out and having their first seizure.

And the demographic who still cares isn’t Nintendo’s target audience.

But there’s legit speculation in here that Gamepass are buying Nintendo so that they can sack off 30 million Mario Cars full price sales for the promise of Day 1 The Medium

They are the company that must make all others look on with envy - under specced hardware with last gen graphics outselling the competition and making a profit on each one sold, re-releasing last gen games that ‘only’ sold 5 million and selling that amount many times over. 

I mean the whole concept for Animal Crossing screams ftp apps worth ten a penny, yet Nintendo turns it into a billion dollar franchise. Mario games from the 90s with barely a lick of paint - solid gold hits. 

It will be interesting to see what Skyward Sword sells being the black sheep of the family, but I can’t see it doing less than 10 million. 

I can imagine that Mario Kart 9 is ready and waiting in the wings, but why release it now when 8 is still selling so well, I can see Switch 4K with it and BoTW 2 though this Christmas. 

5 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Eh? I thought the rumour was Game Pass on Switch, not Nintendo on Game Pass.

Nintendo Online on Game Pass. 

2 hours ago, Majora said:

Opportunity cost though. Even a small team could probably be put to better use than working on a game that is never going to sell a lot. Nobody cares about futuristic racing games anymore.

Sadly I don't think it would really broaden their market either. Anyone who currently gives a shit about F-Zero almost certainly already owns a Switch.

They took a chance on Labo and real life MarioKart though. I can't imagine they ever thought they would sell tens of millions?

8 minutes ago, SteveH said:

They took a chance on Labo and real life MarioKart though. I can't imagine they ever thought they would sell tens of millions?

It's not "will it sell tens of millions" - it's "will it appeal to people between the ages of 5 and 50" not "will it appeal to 40 year olds first and foremost".

Yeah same with Game Builder Garage and I suppose Mario Maker; they’re not expecting  huge sales from those titles but they’re on brand and offer wide appeal. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

It will be interesting to see what Skyward Sword sells being the black sheep of the family, but I can’t see it doing less than 10 million. 

It might turn out to be good without the shitty controls, could be a second chance for all the other aspects of the game with people who abandoned it due to waggle.

Also it has that bug where the disc flies out the console and kills your parents. 

Oh no wait sorry, that’s just the impression you get the way some people talk about it online.