Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures

Wahwah*

15 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Skyward Sword is no way going to do 10 million on Switch, the original was already on a console with comparative userbase and did poorly.

Since then Zelda’s currency has gone through the roof, and Skyward’s figures were staggeringly low despite generally excellent reviews, so whether that’s down to it coming out towards the end of the generation, no HD version, requiring the motion plus Wii remote add-on, waggle fatigue or whatever, I just don’t know, but most Switch owners won’t have played it before and with little else on the horizon I can see it doing pretty good numbers. 

22 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Skyward Sword is no way going to do 10 million on Switch, the original was already on a console with comparative userbase and did poorly.

You prepared to risk a left testicle on that statement?

It’ll do 10 million plus, the software conversion rate on Switch is massive compared to the Wii which for a lot of owners was a Wii Sports novelty purchase rather than a console.

Its a new (to most players) Zelda and will benefit from a fairly sparse lineup currently

Skyward Sword has a poor reputation and I don't think the reviews are going to be at all kind to it this time around. I'm expecting around 5 million maybe? It just isn't an entry with positive general word of mouth.

36 minutes ago, Majora said:

Skyward Sword has a poor reputation and I don't think the reviews are going to be at all kind to it this time around. I'm expecting around 5 million maybe? It just isn't an entry with positive general word of mouth.

It has a 93 score on Metacritic based on 81 critic reviews and an 8.1 user score, so I don’t think it holds a bad reputation. This new version also addresses the main complaint I saw most, which was waggle. 

To put in comparison, the most a mainline Zelda had sold before Skyward Sword was around 8 million which was achieved by Twilight Princess the game released directly before it, so maybe people were put off by that too, who knows.

Skyward Sword didn’t manage to break 4 million despite the large user base and marketing surrounding the 25th Anniversary, so whatever bad reputation it may have it’s from a small vocal minority, the vast numbers of Wii and Switch owners have never played it, and this is the first time it’s received a re-release of any kind. 

The original had great reviews, that doesn't mean a re-release will. Sonic Adventure had 9's on release, and then 6's a year later when the GC version released for instance.

1 hour ago, dreamylittledream said:

You prepared to risk a left testicle on that statement?

I think it'll do more than the original, but still sub-10 mil. No testicles up for grabs, but I'll bet ya £10.

The 8.1 metacritic score from players is fascinating, so many people seem to hate it. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who has actually played it and thought it was good. The 93 from critics is meaningless, most of the reviews were either “ZELDA = 10/10” or “FINALLY A GAME WHERE WAGGLE WORKS A BIT”. The hyperbole surrounding that game from reviewers was insane and I think it probably contributed to the backlash. It’s definitely about when I realised Edge reviews were nothing like my opinion anymore. 

14 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

The original had great reviews, that doesn't mean a re-release will. Sonic Adventure had 9's on release, and then 6's a year later when the GC version released for instance.

I think it'll do more than the original, but still sub-10 mil.

It’s certainly more likely it will receive more positive reviews than negative ones going off that data, and for Sonic Adventure any bad reviews it had don’t appear to have adversely affected sales. 

10 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

The game has its issues, but it's still good.

I'd say that any hyperbole came from those who hated anything with motion controls.

Skyward Sword is one of those games that you often saw people saying got good after the first five hours and somehow not seeing that as a massive problem. I didn't have much of an issue with the motion controls but I remember it was a very drawn out game in places. 

If they smooth out the rough parts then there's a great game in there. 

9 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Imagine what Nintendo could make with £70 games and expensive hardware :lol:

You're joking of course but imagine F-Zero GX but with the power of a PS5 behind it.

It'd look fucking incredible.

8 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You're joking of course but imagine F-Zero GX but with the power of a PS5 behind it.

It'd look fucking incredible.

Perhaps that’s what they’re saving it for, when they have hardware capable of giving us F-Zero at 120fps :blink:

1 hour ago, Super Craig said:

The game has its issues, but it's still good.

I'd say that any hyperbole came from those who hated anything with motion controls.

I liked what I played of it, but just remember these doors with eyes on them that had me flailing around in frustration. Boss fights with the purple guy, too. Just let down by the controls loads, until I gave up on it completely. 

I wonder if there’s a danger that Skyward Sword could dent BOTW2’s hype. People want more BOTW but get a something very different, Probably not so long as they do call the next one BOTW 2 rather than Zelda Something New.

I could see Skyward Sword HD outsell the original pretty easily. But considering rumours are pointing towards Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD coming over as well, I wouldn't count on any longterm sales.

10 hours ago, HarMGM said:

I could see Skyward Sword HD outsell the original pretty easily. But considering rumours are pointing towards Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD coming over as well, I wouldn't count on any longterm sales.

I can’t see it, Skyward Sword is a full price release, if they release the other two as a pack in then maybe, but it still seems like overkill to release three Zelda games in less than 6 months (assuming they’re this year) and potentially a fourth with BoTW2, each would eat into the others sales and could damage the hype surrounding them. 

3 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

They just did the same with Super Mario 3D Allstars and Super Mario 3D World. I wouldn't rule it out.

5 months apart though, and Skyward Sword isn’t out until July. I mean it’s possible, but I would guess that BoTW2 won’t be out this side of Christmas if that happens. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

5 months apart though, and Skyward Sword isn’t out until July. I mean it’s possible, but I would guess that BoTW2 won’t be out this side of Christmas if that happens. 

Yeah in the same way Age of Calamity signalled no BOTW 2 last year, if we see Wind Waker and Twilight Princess announced that’s yer Zelda for the year I reckon. 

On 11/05/2021 at 10:02, Stanley said:

5 million maybe? 

5.4 million so far. But it has shown itself to be a longterm seller and is well on its way to outsell the original+DX re-release combined(6 million).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...