Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures

Wahwah*

23 minutes ago, Gabe said:

That doesn't say much, didn't Returnal sell really badly at retail? 

Yeah 3x Returnals numbers doesn't actually sound like all that impressive sales for a big game.

From the link I posted it states revenue wise it's the most successful R&C launch ever for the series despite selling 29% fewer copies than PS4 R&C at launch. So £70 pricing strategy might be working in Sony's favour? And for a new IP, would Sony have expected Returnal to sell more at launch than 1:3 to R&C?

Bit early to draw any conclusions at the moment if £70 games are here to stay or if they will drop back to a more digestible price point eventually. 

14 hours ago, AI said:

From the link I posted it states revenue wise it's the most successful R&C launch ever for the series despite selling 29% fewer copies than PS4 R&C at launch. So £70 pricing strategy might be working in Sony's favour? And for a new IP, would Sony have expected Returnal to sell more at launch than 1:3 to R&C?

Bit early to draw any conclusions at the moment if £70 games are here to stay or if they will drop back to a more digestible price point eventually. 

I'd say both are succesful. Retail lists aren't all that meaningful anymore now that digital has really blown up. It's a much bigger market than it was in 2016 when Ratchet and Clank launched on a system with 4 timest the install base the PS5 has now. 

As for Returnal, we already know it's a success as Sony said so in its latest report. Now they could mean just critically, but it's been in the NPD top ten for two consecutive months and top three PSN digital downloads in all regions. Given it's hardly your typical AAA game with tons of voice-acting, hours of motion captured cutscenes and a massive open world, I'd say Housemarque is doing just fine. And as Dring pointed out, these games will keep selling as there's still many people who want to play them but can't get a PS5, as it's still so heavily supply-constrained.

• 1 month later...

Because its fucking childish always listing the Xbox, despite being 6 months into a new generation, and taking into account Steam deck sales, still being the forth most popular console out there. 

3 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Ahhh right. Well that makes things more interesting! I wonder what caused it?

they sold more xboxes rather than using them all up on powering clouds

4 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Ahhh right. Well that makes things more interesting! I wonder what caused it?

1 minute ago, mikeyl said:

Very likely that. They have completed the XSX Azure roll out so have more chips to put into retail consoles.

10 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Because its fucking childish always listing the Xbox, despite being 6 months into a new generation, and taking into account Steam deck sales, still being the forth most popular console out there. 

U wot mate ?

5 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Huh ?

I'd guess that E3 thingy had an influence.

9 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I'd guess that E3 thingy had an influence.

It wouldn't have harmed them at least. But given Sony and Microsoft seem to be able to sell everything they can ship out it probably didn't make much of a difference to the numbers.

I'm no analrapist but I'm still wondering why we didn't get the monthly barrage of tweets and figures this month that this thread usually explodes with around NPD time.

Maybe the usual  analysists are getting therapy ?

Spoiler

On 02/06/2021 at 11:49, Harsin said:

Oof!

This seemed to pass without much commotion.

Kind of incredible when you check the article - that 67% down on Q1 2020, not the previous quarter, so that’s not Cyberpunk sales falling off in consecutive quarters, it’s them making way more money a year ago, pre-Cyberpunk. Bonkers.

”Parallel developments” sounds like a recipe for even worse working conditions at Crunch Demanders Projekt Red.

28 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I'm no analrapist but I'm still wondering why we didn't get the monthly barrage of tweets and figures this month that this thread usually explodes with around NPD time.

Hide contents

God you’re such a tiring child.

25 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

This seemed to pass without much commotion.

Kind of incredible when you check the article - that 67% down on Q1 2020, not the previous quarter, so that’s not Cyberpunk sales falling off in consecutive quarters, it’s them making way more money a year ago, pre-Cyberpunk. Bonkers.

”Parallel developments” sounds like a recipe for even worse working conditions at Crunch Demanders Projekt Red.

I think the fact that they’ve announced new Witcher 3 DLC tells you everything you need to know about Cyberpunk’s performance.

1 hour ago, layten said:

Very likely that. They have completed the XSX Azure roll out so have more chips to put into retail consoles.

Pretty much. Will be interesting to see if they manage to continue offering up as many consoles to retail next month and if Sony can increase their output to match. 

Someone upthread said that Sony had been outselling MS and would be further ahead were it not for the supply constraints. I can believe that.  Are we about to see MS suddenly have way more hardware available to sell and people snapping them up now and getting a PS5 later (or maybe never).

400 million dollars in June is their highest in a decade if the article is right.  Lets see what they get for July.

The issue with sales threads between Xbox and PS5 at the moment is that all it determines is who has produces more consoles. Both are supply constrained so it is just a record of who made more each month.

13 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Reveal hidden contents

There's a little sandpit for this stuff:

5 hours ago, rgraves said:

Shut it you. Sega does what Nintendon't.

What? Makes games for other peoples consoles because they ultimately failed at being a format holder and had to do so to survive? 😛

1 hour ago, MikeBeaver said:

What? Makes games for other peoples consoles because they ultimately failed at being a format holder and had to do so to survive? 😛

Makes PC games, and good ones at that.

On 22/07/2021 at 00:06, rafaqat said:

400 million dollars in June is their highest in a decade if the article is right.  Lets see what they get for July.

The specificity of the figures got me curious as NPD don't usually give those out so I had a Google. The original source article is from Thurrott.com and written by the man himself, Paul Thurrott. I have a feeling Paul Thurrott didn't engage some basic Sanity checking...

Those are impressive numbers. But when you look at Xbox hardware specifically, you see something even more interesting: Microsoft’s console business delivered 112 percent year-over-year revenue growth to $401 million, a record for the company. The console’s previous revenue high occurred in June 2011.

Yes, that figure places Xbox well below the Nintendo Switch, which generated $4.3 billion in hardware sales (and YOY growth of just 3 percent). But it’s also well ahead of Sony PlayStation, which earned $207 million in revenues in June, a decline of 1 percent YOY.

Of course, hardware is only a small component of the videogame industry’s total revenues: Content (meaning games plus downloadable content, subscriptions, and the like) accounted for $25.4 billion in revenues in the first half of 2021, compared to just $2.3 billion for hardware and $1.2 billion for accessories.

But we’ll take any victory we can get.

https://www.thurrott.com/games/xbox/253401/xbox-just-had-a-record-month-in-the-u-s

The maths is a little wonky there ;)

The Nintendo Switch is selling well, but $4.3 Billion of sales in a single quiet month in a single market should have sounded the alarm bells for him. Probably explains why TechPowerUp decided to omit that particular line in their copy of his report.

The figure he uses for the Xbox is actually the total revenue for all consoles sold in the US market for June 2021:

June video game hardware dollar sales jumped 112% when compared to June 2020, to $401M. This is the highest total achieved in a June month since 2008 ($617M). Year-to-date hardware consumer spending has increased 45% compared to 2020's first half, to $2.3B.

Xbox Series was the best-selling hardware platform in dollar sales for the month of June, while Nintendo Switch led in unit sales.

June dollar sales of Xbox consoles set a new record for the Xbox platform, besting the previous high set in June 2011.

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform during 2021's first half in both dollar and unit sales.

PlayStation 5 remains the fastest unit selling console hardware platform in U.S. history (lifetime sales through 8 months in market, excluding portables).

June 2021 spending on video game accessories fell 1% compared to a year ago, to $207 million.