IGNORED

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures

Transient Curse

2 minutes ago, Majora said:

PS4 Pro won't be able to play any games once we are past the cross-gen period whereas both Xbox Series S and X will. PS4 Pro is a last gen console, Series S and X are current gen consoles. Series S will just run current gen games at lower resolution/with less effects than the Series X

Xbox Series S and X vs PS5 digital and physical skus is the only logical comparison, surely? Why would we be including sales of a soon to be obsolete console with PS5 sales?

I mean, i am aware of this but there's no way of you knowing that i haven't come down in the last shower but by that same logic, my pc with a gtx 970 in it is a current gen pc because it can play current gen games but at less resolution and effects.

But it clearly isn't. 

I was writing a reply but @Majora did a better job explaining why you'd put the Series S and X figure together. 

I thought the story was interesting because it highlighted just how supply constrained the console market is right now. Xbox outselling Playstation in the US every so often isn't that surprising. Xbox outselling Playstation in Europe happens so rarely that I felt it was worth mentioning. 

16 minutes ago, Majora said:

Xbox Series S and X vs PS5 digital and physical skus is the only logical comparison, surely? Why would we be including sales of a soon to be obsolete console with PS5 sales?

There is no logic really I guess because there is no lower spec PS5. All PS5s are the same in terms of actual performance. XBox series consoles not. Its a shame MS just didn't do what Sony did and release a diskless version of the X. This of course might still be on the cards.

However I guess in the end its not about the hardware shifted as MS have changed this around! :) Its about services, subs and software as that is where the real money is. MS have more channels for this - lots of devices can now potentially play their content via streaming or running things natively.

So yeah console sales... fun but mostly irrelevant I expect over the upcoming years...

40 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

It's ok lads. It's just one month.  Sony is still King.

🙄

I don't give a monkeys about the warz, just the stupid way of reporting things to promote said warz. 

1 minute ago, b00dles said:

🙄

I don't give a monkeys about the warz, just the stupid way of reporting things to promote said warz. 

It's an accepted method that's been the same for years. I don't get why it's sudenly an issue for you.

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

It's an accepted method that's been the same for years. I don't get why it's sudenly an issue for you.

Wait what? Before this gen we've never had a manufacturer have a console that is in between two gens and a next gen one like MS have so I'm not sure how it's been like this for years?

Either way, I'm just posting stuff on our lovely forum because work is boring, I'm not frothing at the mouth about it all. 

It just seemed a strange (and new) way of reporting the sales. 

9 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Wait what? Before this gen we've never had a manufacturer have a console that is in between two gens and a next gen one like MS have so I'm not sure how it's been like this for years?

Either way, I'm just posting stuff on our lovely forum because work is boring, I'm not frothing at the mouth about it all. 

It just seemed a strange (and new) way of reporting the sales. 

Maybe I'm misremembereing but Ps4 sales have generally included Ps4, PS4 Slim and Ps4 Pro right before right?   Similair for Xbox One, Xbox One S last gen?

Just now, rafaqat said:

Maybe I'm misremembereing but Ps4 sales have generally included Ps4, PS4 Slim and Ps4 Pro right before right?   Similair for Xbox One, Xbox One S last gen?

OK brilliant. Let's agree to disagree then as my argument was that the s is an intentionally "inbetween" gen console way more than the pro or the one x was. Or any variant of PlayStation slim or the one and therefore it was weird to compare the sales of effectively 1 1/2 gen consoles from one manufacturer with one console (with disk or no disk SKU's) from another but apparently that's now the same as comparing the 360 generation and it's couple of models with the ps3 and its or what have you. 

And I've already typed far more than it warranted on the fact I thought that was a slightly weird way of doing it so not to worry. They're all the same and hooray for everyone. 

26 minutes ago, b00dles said:

my argument was that the s is an intentionally "inbetween" gen console

It's intentionally a console targetted at a price point, with the assumption that hitting that price point with the full fat consoles will be extremely difficult if it's ever achieved.

Which, given the chip shortage, the limits we're seeing and costs of new production processes etc. seems quite unsurprising. Sony are hitting a reasonable price point with the digital PS5, but pulling back the money on extremely expensive software: and there's a long way to go from $349 to $249 (a 40% price drop!)

24 minutes ago, layten said:

probably meant 4.4% sales on PC, but the stutter made the . jump.

I'd never really thought of Elden Ring as new IP.

It's "just" a FromSoftware game right. The IP is "FromSoftware". Are there people who play DS/Bloodborne/Sekiro who aren't playing all FS games? Maybe there's a casual crowd who know DS but don't know it's by FromSoftware and therefore don't know about Elden Ring or the other FS games but it seems like a small edge case.

Not that this matters of course. Just jumped out at me when they refer to it as "new IP" as if it being a new IP was really a hurdle to success in this case.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's not a different generation. It's the same generation with the exact same releases. It's like releasing the PS4 and PS4 Pro together at the start of the generation. 

There are PS4 games. There are PS5  games. But there are NO SEPARATE Series S and X games. There are just "Xbox Series" games, which you either play on an S or an X.

Why is this so difficult to understand. That's why people assume you're jumping to Sony's defense. It's hard to believe you're not wilfully misunderstanding this.

I'm not wilfully misunderstanding it but I'm evidently not understanding something. I'm sure i read or saw somewhere that the s was made to "break" the generations and that is seemingly the road map that Microsoft want to follow and to that end, it seems strange (to me) to lump those things in together as one "gen" even if you can't buy Series s games.

I suppose it just goes to my point about pcs more than anything, if Sony releases a PlayStation 5 b which has 8k native, Ray tracing, VRR and whatever other gubbins you want, I equally wouldn't expect people to compare sales of that + ps5 against the series consoles because it's considerably different to a "normal" console revision like a slim or even the pro line if we're sticking to Sony equivalents. 

I'm evidently wrong in this assumption though but I wasn't meaning it to be antagonistic or trolling, it just seemed a very strange way of coming up with sales figures. But it isn't, it seems, going by the response I've got from questioning it. 

18 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I'm not wilfully misunderstanding it but I'm evidently not understanding something. I'm sure i read or saw somewhere that the s was made to "break" the generations and that is seemingly the road map that Microsoft want to follow and to that end, it seems strange (to me) to lump those things in together as one "gen" even if you can't buy Series s games.

I suppose it just goes to my point about pcs more than anything, if Sony releases a PlayStation 5 b which has 8k native, Ray tracing, VRR and whatever other gubbins you want, I equally wouldn't expect people to compare sales of that + ps5 against the series consoles because it's considerably different to a "normal" console revision like a slim or even the pro line if we're sticking to Sony equivalents. 

I'm evidently wrong in this assumption though but I wasn't meaning it to be antagonistic or trolling, it just seemed a very strange way of coming up with sales figures. But it isn't, it seems, going by the response I've got from questioning it. 

The only thing that matters in terms of console generations is the software they run and commitment of lifespan.

The concept of Pro models and similar blurred the line between generations in terms of performance and quality but still always the same software. The S and X are just the same thing. Same as the switch in games for performance vs quality. This is just paying for a resolution switch.

Series S and X run the same software and will do so for the same period of time. If MS break that at some point and decide the S is no longer supported whilst the X is then that changes the conversation but MS are not saying that and never have. What MS have "seemingly" done or what people think they're doing doesn't matter. If you buy an S or an X you've got a Series generation console.

If (when?) there is a PS5 Pro then I'd absolutely count them in the PS5 sales? Why wouldn't you? Why is this different to the PS4 Pro in any way? It is just a new revision of the same hardware with a bit more grunt.

7 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

The only thing that matters in terms of console generations is the software they run and commitment of lifespan.

The concept of Pro models and similar blurred the line between generations in terms of performance and quality but still always the same software. The S and X are just the same thing. Same as the switch in games for performance vs quality. This is just paying for a resolution switch.

Series S and X run the same software and will do so for the same period of time. If MS break that at some point and decide the S is no longer supported whilst the X is then that changes the conversation but MS are not saying that and never have. What MS have "seemingly" done or what people think they're doing doesn't matter. If you buy an S or an X you've got a Series generation console.

If (when?) there is a PS5 Pro then I'd absolutely count them in the PS5 sales? Why wouldn't you? Why is this different to the PS4 Pro in any way? It is just a new revision of the same hardware with a bit more grunt.

I dunno, I just understood the series range to purposefully not fit the 9th generation and the differential in grunt was bigger than in the previous generations console revisions. And that it wasn't a revision but as evidenced, I've been  misled on that point. 

As you all were :)

On 16/03/2022 at 11:18, MW_Jimmy said:

Bandai Namco set sales expectations at 4 million in the first month (up from 3 million sold by Dark Souls III)

This is how you set sales expectations (Square Enix take note!)

If all games did aswell as Elden Ring managed to, no publishers would be disappointed, ever.

No need to firesale copies or provide price protection guarantees to retailers as the game happily walks out of the door unaided.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-04-14-nintendo-switch-was-europes-no-1-console-in-march-european-monthly-charts

332,000 games consoles were sold across European territories last month (data does not include UK or Germany. You can check our UK report here). It's a rise of 14% over the previous month, but a drop of 39% over the same period in 2021.

Nintendo Switch was the most popular console. Switch sales increased 9% compared with March last year.

Xbox Series X and S was the second most-popular console. Both Xbox and PlayStation platforms are suffering from severe stocks shortages

Just like last month I am certain that Xbox outselling Playstation was down to just how supply constrained the PS5 is but I am curious about how Microsoft seem to be getting more consoles out there now compared to Sony. 

58 minutes ago, bear said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-04-14-nintendo-switch-was-europes-no-1-console-in-march-european-monthly-charts

Just like last month I am certain that Xbox outselling Playstation was down to just how supply constrained the PS5 is but I am curious about how Microsoft seem to be getting more consoles out there now compared to Sony. 

Can't remember the ins and outs but it's easier to manufacture more Series S's in the current climate than Series X's or PS5's, essentially. 

I knew it was easier to make a Series S but it does seem like the Series X is getting to a point where it's not that hard to get one. 

As I'm writing this every branch of Smyths in Ireland bar two has Series X consoles available. Maybe we are a particularly poor market for Xbox and so demand is weak here. That being said, if you can't buy a Playstation (4 or 5) new anywhere then a certain amount of people will just get an Xbox instead. 

5 hours ago, memories said:

Microsoft paying to get priority in some manufacturing plants probably had a lot to do with it.

MS priority

Interesting to see that the article says Sony paid to do the same thing at launch,  I wonder if Microsoft have been waiting their turn since then. 

I've never heard of it before,  I wonder if it's something we could see more of in the future,  buying up production and interrupting your rival's supply. 

1 hour ago, Transient Curse said:

Interesting to see that the article says Sony paid to do the same thing at launch,  I wonder if Microsoft have been waiting their turn since then. 

I've never heard of it before,  I wonder if it's something we could see more of in the future,  buying up production and interrupting your rival's supply. 

Pretty well known that MS have been buying more series chips than Sony but initially a lot of them were for the cloud gaming data centres, all done now so more for the market.

Apple are known to have bought more time than ever hence being less affected with shortages than others - will have paid for that too.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/xbox-enjoyed-record-march-sales-in-the-united-states/

Xbox had its best March on record last month in the United States, both in terms of units sold and dollar sales.

According to the latest monthly sales report from market research firm NPD Group, Xbox outperformed its previous sales highs set in March 2011 (units) and March 2014 (dollars).

Xbox Series X/S was the best-selling console platform of both March 2022 and the first quarter in dollars, while Switch led unit sales in March and during the first three months of the year.

In short, the Switch is still a phenom and Sony just can't PS5s on shelves. 

I'd say the story is more that the Xbox brand appears to be as strong now as it was in the 360 days, at least in the US. Massive turnaround for the brand after last Gen's debacle.

Also true but considering that analysts like that Harding Rolls guy were forecasting the PS5 to outsell the Xbox 2 to 1 this year then Sony's struggle to get consoles into the market has to be an issue. Based on what we know they are probably even across Europe and North America this year which can't be down to some big Xbox exclusive because there hasn't been one. Right now feels like the time Sony should be pressing home their content advantage but they can't because the consoles aren't there. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Xbox Series S outsold the PlayStation 5 in Japan last week, according to new sales data.

According to sales data published by Famitsu, the Xbox Series S on its own (not including Series X) sold 6,120 units, whereas the PS5 and PS5 digital edition sold a combined 2,693 units.

Well that's one of the signs of the apocalypse ticked off.