The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Transient Curse

On 13/02/2018 at 18:43, McFly said:

Utterly, painfully shite line-up. I've seen some amazing bands at Reading over the years:

Sick of It All

Pennywise

Nirvana

The Foo Fighters (their first UK gig)

White Zombie

The Wildhearts

Atari Teenage Riot

Chilli Peppers

Soundgarden

Helmet

Therapy?

Rollins Band

94 was my favourite and that Sunday line up was amazing.

Reading%2094.jpg?itok=IcPFdbch

dunno if this is the place...but..i..i genuinely struggle to listen to Linkin park any more, just getting chocked up...:(

this was the band that got me into metal and rock. and the last time i saw them, they  played the whole of hybrid they and i got some of the best pics ive ever taken..but..i duno...its odd...i fel the loss moire than actual family members...i mean what i s that about!?!

edit: i may have been  bit drunk...

Last night's Obituary gig was good. They're a band who clearly enjoy what they've been doing since the 80s and it shows in the way they perform. That said they did have to stop for a breather now and again but as they're pushing 50, that's fair enough.

One of the support bands, Exmortus were also really entertaining in an early to mid-80s Helloween kinda way and played a lot of songs with titles such as "Metal is king". And a cover of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Weird.

Just back from Cannibal Corpse. Astounding stuff still and took me back to the late 80s when I first started listening to them. Still a blistering turn of speed and a sense of fun. All or Rock City sang along to "2 minutes to midnight" whilst we were waiting for them to take the stage too.

Currently listening to the latest Life of Agony album.  The first two albums were part of the soundtrack of my youth but I didn't get on with Soul Searching Sun onwards at all. A Place Where There's No More Pain has some pretty banging hardcore riffs and pounding drums again at last.  It's no River Runs Red, but it's quite diggable.  I frickin' love early 90s New York hardcore.

7 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Currently listening to the latest Life of Agony album.  The first two albums were part of the soundtrack of my youth but I didn't get on with Soul Searching Sun onwards at all. A Place Where There's No More Pain has some pretty banging hardcore riffs and pounding drums again at last.  It's no River Runs Red, but it's quite diggable.  I frickin' love early 90s New York hardcore.

I'll have to check that out. RRR and especially Ugly were really great albums when I was younger.  

Any other suggestions for the New York style?

I've been on a bit of a spending spree this evening as I hardly ever buy music. 

Nothing new but new to me, I've finally grown my Mistress ownership beyond their first amazing album.  Looking forward to listening to some new Mistress for the first time ever despite the fact that it's all 11-15 years old (SAY WHAT?!?!!)

I just want to take a moment to appreciate 'Catch Thirty Three' by Meshuggah.  I was struggling to focus on a work project earlier and remembered that listening to this album during Uni helped me to get 'in the zone'.  It's almost hypnotic, I found myself typing in rhythm with the songs.  Masterful!  

Think it’s been pretty strong personally,  with some great efforts from Thornhill, I Valiance, Rolo Tomassi, Will Haven and Between the Buried and Me.

Next month brings new music from Perfect Circle and Tesseract. Then, later on in the year we get Monuments, Tool (hopefully) and BtBaM part 2. 

Dunno where this would fit, but the new Andrew WK album... is not good. It's really disappointing, to be honest.

The album struggles to generate many catchy hooks or riffs. The life advice stuff is as shallow as his fence-sitting columns, there's nearly nothing there. There are 3 solid tracks, as the opener, the next track, and Total Freedom.

Close Calls is one of my favourite albums. It is complex, layered, concise, provoking and fun. We're Not Alone barely hits these heights and plods along. The tracks are not tightly packed like previous efforts and are often poorly derivative of other artists.

A shame out of 10.

The new BtBaM is great though!