The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Anyway. Anyone gagging for some Icon era Paradise Lost with a bit of Solitude Aeturnus/Shrinebuilder/ etc?

Ex My Dying Bride guitarist brings the Doom. If you're a fan of the genre the album is excellent. 

On 27/01/2021 at 19:32, Lovelyman said:

Anyway. Anyone gagging for some Icon era Paradise Lost with a bit of Solitude Aeturnus/Shrinebuilder/ etc?

Ex My Dying Bride guitarist brings the Doom. If you're a fan of the genre the album is excellent. 

goddamn

I chuckled at how heavy it is but the first line is basically a bon jovi lyric :lol: 

*I crave your embrace, like the earth wants the rain*

Any Soen fans about? Very much enjoying their new album. If you're a fan of Tool this would be a worth a listen as it has a similar vibe. If you like your drums, I can recommend giving The Antagonist a listen as the second part of the song gets really tribal. Great stuff... even if the videos are a little random.

On 27/01/2021 at 15:06, Mr Combo Breaker said:

almost 40, listening to folk-metal. Ominous :hmm:

I've heard of them but not really dived in. Really like them - I'm sure I can detect some Master of the Seven Keys - Helloween in there!

If you want more folk metal then can I recommend the amazing Eluvetie? Seen them twice now - once at Bloodstock and supporting Lacuna Coil in Manchester (who the consesus seems were blown away by them).

They're definitely on the heavier side - although they've done two acoustic albums and they have some more commercial tracks.

Heavy:

Not so heavy:

On 28/01/2021 at 20:31, Lovelyman said:

Man. How did I sleep on this. 

For fans of earlier Enslaved when they were heavier but still prog. 

This album is amazing. 

@Marsdo you still like this stuff?? @moosegrinder might too. I can't remember :)

Just seen this! Will have a listen, thanks for the heads up. 

On 26/01/2021 at 10:30, shirubagan said:

Swedish quiz show has The Hellacopters as in-house band covering All Along the Watchtower (around 20 mins in) and Sympathy for the Devil with Papa Emeritus IV at the end. How fucking cool is that?

https://www.svtplay.se/video/29794094/pa-sparet/pa-sparet-sasong-31-avsnitt-9?start=auto

That's a brilliant cover. Plus bonus points for use of the word "fucking".

On 20/02/2021 at 15:41, Talvalin said:

At the risk of accusing you of being a weeb, are you just a fan of kawaii metal or other subgenres too?

I do like Baby Metal a lot. Big fan of Band-Maid too. If you've got anything to recommend feel free.

I'm a real metal head though. I like Judas Priest and everything.

I'd like to think that I've moved on from being an elitist gatekeeping dickhead who has very strict views on what is and is not metal (the fact that the Metal Archives website still insists that Between the Buried and Me are not now and were never in the slightest bit metal continues to annoy me, but that's a whole other story) so if you'd said yes, then I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

I too like Band-Maid and hope to see them live when going to a gig in Tokyo is safe. I have mixed feelings about Baby Metal but their shows look amazing. They've been doing a series of Tokyo-only gigs from January to March and I'm tempted to go along, but I still feel that it's risky to attend with other people, social-distanced or otherwise. Oh well.

Apart from that I know precisely bugger all about bands in this country. Oh wait. Geist of Trinity (no, I have no idea admit the band name either) are a pretty decent modern metal band with a ridiculously talented lead guitarist. He's done a few Nevermore covers on YouTube and absolutely nailed all the solos.

https://geistoftrinity.bandcamp.com/album/insanity

10 hours ago, Talvalin said:

I'd like to think that I've moved on from being an elitist gatekeeping dickhead who has very strict views on what is and is not metal (the fact that the Metal Archives website still insists that Between the Buried and Me are not now and were never in the slightest bit metal continues to annoy me, but that's a whole other story) so if you'd said yes, then I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

I too like Band-Maid and hope to see them live when going to a gig in Tokyo is safe. I have mixed feelings about Baby Metal but their shows look amazing. They've been doing a series of Tokyo-only gigs from January to March and I'm tempted to go along, but I still feel that it's risky to attend with other people, social-distanced or otherwise. Oh well.

Apart from that I know precisely bugger all about bands in this country. Oh wait. Geist of Trinity (no, I have no idea admit the band name either) are a pretty decent modern metal band with a ridiculously talented lead guitarist. He's done a few Nevermore covers on YouTube and absolutely nailed all the solos.

https://geistoftrinity.bandcamp.com/album/insanity

https://pharmacistgore.bandcamp.com/

Great Carcass worship. 

Will check them out, cheers!

Another band that just popped in my head is Intestine Baalism. They've only released three albums in 30 years, but quality over quantity wins every time. The band plays melodic death metal, but rather than sounding like Insomnium (a band that I love for the record), Intestine Baalism plays a very melodic style of old-school Swedish death metal, sounding like old Dismember with the melody cranked up to 11.

So much so in fact that I found the albums a mixed bag when I heard the band's first two albums about 15 years ago (great riffs, then one of the solos kicks in and it felt like a completely different band. Man Must Die occasionally suffer this problem, going from an incredibly brutal riff to a major scale riff that sounds way too happy to be in the same song). However, I kept on coming back to check them out, and I've finally reconciled the two styles to the point where the mix works.

Physical copies of the first two albums are pretty much non-existent at this point, but luckily those two albums are on Bandcamp, unlike the third album which you'll have to check Discogs for if you want a copy.

https://dissonanceproductions.bandcamp.com/album/an-anatomy-of-the-beast

https://dissonanceproductions.bandcamp.com/album/banquet-in-the-darkness    (the best album IMO)