IGNORED

The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Transient Curse

I'm really loving the new Architects album the more I listen to it. I'm particularly taken with the string arrangement on 'Demi God', but the whole album has a wonderful balance to it. Sure, it's less aggressive than 'Holy Hell', but I'm into it.

On a different note, I discovered these Brand of Sacrifice chaps a short while ago and I'm into my Deathcore, but these chaps are taking it to another level. It's stupidly heavy and their lyrics are based around the Beserk manga.

They released the last single 'Altered Eyes' from their forthcoming album 'Lifeblood' and as the kids say, it's a heavy banger!

FFO: Born of Osiris, Oceano, Fit For An Autopsy

On 26/02/2021 at 01:26, Flub said:

These ladies are \m/

This is exactly the kind of power metal that I hate with passion, but damn if they don't do it really really well. Also, I can't even attempt to justify listening to it on the basis of improving my Japanese when they're singing in English. :hmm:

Those solos shredded my face off though, plus some glorious harmonised lead guitar lines. I am very conflicted about this band.

Listening to the Electric Pentagram album now (from which "Holy War" was taken), and the first track has much heavier vibe to it, with a thrash rhythm in the main verse played at such a tempo that a blastbeat over the top wouldn't have felt out of place. Plus a breakdown riff!

Well, this I can get on board with, although I'm not sure I can cope with 70 minutes' worth. Less is more guys. A 45 minute album of this quality would absolutely kill, but power metal dropped the idea of restraint some time in the 80s so I guess I just have to listen to it in bursts.

5 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Awesome. It's been five years since the Endless Pilgrimage EP was released, so this is good news and means that I have at least one good album to look forward to this year. So far, I've been listening to these two cracking albums.

https://everlastingspewrecords.bandcamp.com/album/macrocosmos

https://iotunn.bandcamp.com/album/access-all-worlds

That Macrocosmos is just about on the border of 'too tech' for me, but I really like it (have the vinyl pre-ordered! 

Iotunn - can't get away with the clean vocals on this!

Both good though.

I can't wait for the Grave Miasma. They are really good at the dirty murky death.

If you can deal with more OTT operatic singing, the next album is Candlemass's stone cold classic (in fact, every album with Messiah Marcolin singing is excellent and you're lucky that there's four of them!).

And if you want more epic doom, you should check out:

• Below - Across the Dark River
  • Crypt Sermon - Out of the Garden
  • Sorcerer - In the Shadow of the Inverted Cross
  • Spiritus Mortis - The Year is One

On 12/03/2021 at 00:31, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Fucking hell Ancient Dreams off the album with the same name. What a song. Goddamn

Awesome stuff. Did you get on with any of those other albums at all? :)

I forgot to mention another excellent and recent Doom album from the awfully monicked Fvneral Fvkk. The subject matter is utterly bleak (focusing on abuse within the Catholic Church) and the melancholic music fits the lyrical content to a tee, but is beautiful for all of that. I highly recommend that you check this out if you have even the slightest inclination towards doom. :)

https://fvneralfvkk.bandcamp.com/album/carnal-confessions

On 14/03/2021 at 14:17, Talvalin said:

Awesome stuff. Did you get on with any of those other albums at all? :)

I forgot to mention another excellent and recent Doom album from the awfully monicked Fvneral Fvkk. The subject matter is utterly bleak (focusing on abuse within the Catholic Church) and the melancholic music fits the lyrical content to a tee, but is beautiful for all of that. I highly recommend that you check this out if you have even the slightest inclination towards doom. :)

https://fvneralfvkk.bandcamp.com/album/carnal-confessions

I listened to a couple. They were good but maybe didn't have the same spark of holyshitballs that have had me listening to the first 4 Candlemass albums over and over. 

Samaritan beats out that cover of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida they did on the Simpsons as Best Hymn Ever!

On 02/03/2021 at 08:36, Talvalin said:

This is exactly the kind of power metal that I hate with passion, but damn if they don't do it really really well. Also, I can't even attempt to justify listening to it on the basis of improving my Japanese when they're singing in English. :hmm:

Those solos shredded my face off though, plus some glorious harmonised lead guitar lines. I am very conflicted about this band.

Listening to the Electric Pentagram album now (from which "Holy War" was taken), and the first track has much heavier vibe to it, with a thrash rhythm in the main verse played at such a tempo that a blastbeat over the top wouldn't have felt out of place. Plus a breakdown riff!

Well, this I can get on board with, although I'm not sure I can cope with 70 minutes' worth. Less is more guys. A 45 minute album of this quality would absolutely kill, but power metal dropped the idea of restraint some time in the 80s so I guess I just have to listen to it in bursts.

I'm in a similar position to you.  The technical ability of these musicians is immense. It sounds great but I am not into it at all, power metal in general leaves me cold. But maybe I just need some good entry level stuff to hear?

2 hours ago, McFly said:

I'm in a similar position to you.  The technical ability of these musicians is immense. It sounds great but I am not into it at all, power metal in general leaves me cold. But maybe I just need some good entry level stuff to hear?

So there's considered to be two variants of power metal, US and European. The latter is faster and often features keyboards whilst the former is heavier. That's vague but I'm not exactly that au fair with the sub genre.

For entry level, try the following and see how you get on?

* Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes

* Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side

* Vicious Rumors - S/T

* Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I

* Running Wild - Death or Glory

44 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

So there's considered to be two variants of power metal, US and European. The latter is faster and often features keyboards whilst the former is heavier. That's vague but I'm not exactly that au fair with the sub genre.

For entry level, try the following and see how you get on?

* Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes

* Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side

* Vicious Rumors - S/T

* Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I

* Running Wild - Death or Glory

Thanks. I've heard a bit of Hellowen before so I'll give them and the others go.